RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Ofna Truggy Question? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1802683-ofna-truggy-question.html)

UNCDROCK57 05-10-2004 02:12 PM

Ofna Truggy Question?

I have an old Ofna worlds two pro buggy and since its outdated I have now changed it into a truggy. There is one problem though, I can't seem to find what gearing I should use. I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with this problem. Right now I have a 50 tooth spur with a 13 tooth CB which gives me a 3.8 ratio. I have ordered a 12 tooth CB which will give me a 4.1 ratio. What do you guys think. I was also wondering if I could use a 65 tooth spur gear on the center diff. If not, what do you guys think would be the best gearing with it.

hyper8 05-10-2004 05:42 PM

RE: Ofna Truggy Question?

50 tooth spur gear and a 14-17 tooth clutch bell would work but what you have to do is change the front and rear diff. gears to sute the tall tires so you dont burn clutches i converted my buggy into a truggy and stock buggy ring was 45 tooth and pinion was 15 I went to a 50 tooth ring and a 10 tooth pinion with a 17 tooth clutchbell and a 51 tooth spur and it flys mabe monster pirite gears will fit -good luck

skliffy 05-10-2004 05:56 PM

it depends mostly on what mill yr runnin average is bout 18/60 ish with a 21

UNCDROCK57 05-10-2004 08:12 PM

Right now I'm running the WS7 with the Jammin pipe. I'm thinking about getting an aluminum 3 shoe clutch and I have ordered the Hot bodies 12 tooth CB. Hyper, did you have to do any modding when you changed you diff gears? Also, do you think a 4.25 ratio will be aight with the stock diff gears that come with the worlds two buggy? Thanks for your replies guys.

scale only 4 me 05-12-2004 09:14 AM

I just fit a complete Dominator tranny to my hyper7 rtr, it has a big 62 (i think) tooth spur,
The problem you'll run into with a huge spur is clearance, you can't just bolt on a 20% larger spur, it just won't fit without modification.

I had to relocate the servo tray, radio box and use a Dominator fuel tank inorder to get everything to work.

Finially got to run it on the track last night, it work OK for the first time out, I need to do more tinkering.

Good luck with yours

rcblaze 05-12-2004 09:25 AM

Do you have any pics of your hyper 7 with this setup. I wanted to change my hyper 7 into a truggie.

Mxracer45 05-12-2004 10:26 AM

Any pictures of it??

UNCDROCK57 05-12-2004 01:34 PM

Hey Scale only 4 me, thanks for the info. May I ask what your final drive ratio is. What size CB are you running?

scale only 4 me 05-12-2004 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics,
Keep in mind this was a very well used RTR kit before I started and it's still dirty from last night's racing
The body is a beat up Dom body I had laying around, need to paint up a new one.

Anyway,
How I converted it was,
1-I took a center tranny from a Dominator I have, I had to relocate the mounting hole as the bolt pattern is different than the H7.
2-I installed a center brace, much like the Monster pirate has to stiffen up the chassis.
3-I relocated the servo tray further out to clear the Huge Dom spur.
4-The battery holder no longer worked, so I cut the mounts off and made slots in the radio box so I could zip tie the battery to its side.
5-I installed a Dominator fuel tank because the H7 tank just didn't fit anywhere with the big spur in there.
6-I made some make-shift body mounts that just bolt to the shock towers, not really happy with the front set up, it needs more tinkering, but working fine for now.
7-I'm using center CVDs instead of the stock dog bones (the rear one way too short) and actually one of the bone in the read CVD was short too, so I had to replace the Bone with a Rear 3 ring CVD bone. This worked perfect.

The truck still needs a lot of tweaking to get it where I want to be, handling wise. I ran it last night and it was Crazy fast with the Vo1b, More motor than it really needs. It was by far the fastest thing on the track. I need to play with front castor angle, shock and diff oils too. If I get it dialed in it will awesome.

cemeb4dk 05-12-2004 11:27 PM

I converted an Ofna Mbx into a truggy. and I had a ton of probs until I bought the conversion kit from motionmachine99 I believe is his user name here. It included a center spool and spur gear, spacers for center diff new top plate for center diff and a new radio tray. All for 55 bucks A steal

I spent more than that trying to get mine to work and kept burning up clutch bells and shoes. Now I'm the fastest out on the track.

You need a 4.25 gear ratio at least. I am running a 13t bell with the 65 tooth spur.

Before I did the conversion kit. It ran but I kept burning clutches. So I finally went to an 11 t bell and that helped with the clutch issue. But the problem then is with the center diff, when the front end lifts off the ground all the power unloads to the front and it just balloons the front tires like crazy. I even tried 100,000 weight diff oil and it still did. So I would definitly get the conversion kit. He has website and email but I can't remember it. Do a search for truggy and you should find it. The kit was a pretty much straight drop in, just had to mod the radio tray a bit to fit my needs.