RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   antenna wire cut from abrasion (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1823188-antenna-wire-cut-abrasion.html)

lakkdainen 05-17-2004 07:22 PM

antenna wire cut from abrasion

I have a TMaxx with the stock radio, and a roll cage. After several rolls (thank goodness for the cage :D) the wire hanging out of the tube has been cut from being against the roll cage while sliding across concrete. I'd say that now there's maybe 2-3" of antenna wire hanging loose from the cap at the top. Probably about 4" got cut off.

How much does this matter? It can't be good for very long range reception... Can the wire be replaced? If so, how long should it be?

flak monkey 05-18-2004 03:40 AM

RE: antenna wire cut from abrasion

I would replace it if i were you, it could make quite a difference to your long range signal. You can replace the wire easy enough, you just have to be careful, take the reciever apart and de-solder the old wire from the board. Re-solder a new one on and you are set (thats what I would do any way). I have a feeling they are about 750mm long...but i dont have one here to measure, maybe someone will do it for you.

Basically the wire is a specific length due to the wavelength of the signal it recieves, by shortening it you lose some of the signal.

Cheers
David :)

lakkdainen 05-18-2004 10:00 AM

Is antenna wire something my LHS carries, or can I use any old wire? Is there a specific gauge?

flak monkey 05-18-2004 10:01 AM

Its nothing special, its just plain copper wire....just replace it with the same size wire thats on there now...

slago 05-18-2004 10:19 AM

so, you mean that only 4" got cut off the end of the wire? If so then simply range test your radio. Is it good to go? Then don't fret about it.

Dale Gribble 05-18-2004 11:15 AM

That's not a good idea... Don't just range test it. Your receiver is still subject to RF propogation principles. Bad advice.

The antenna must be a particular length based on the wavelength of the input rf signal. Otherwise the receiver will start having phase problems and a potential runaway could insue.

NEVER just leave a broken antenna wire and keep running. If so, it's at your risk! Don't say we didn't warn you.

Take the receiver out, and solder off the old wire. Take the wire- the piece you just removed and the broken piece, and measure the length end to end. Take the measurement and a piece of the wire to your local radio shack. They should be able to get you the correct AWG wire (probably 24 ga or so). You cut the piece to the measured length and carefully resolder it on. Finally, maybe find a way to reroute the wire so it doesn't happen again.

lakkdainen 05-18-2004 01:45 PM

Thanks for the ideas everyone. The only problem is that I don't have the piece that came off, so I'm not sure exactly how long it is supposed to be. I'll look around the radio forum and see if there if I can find any info on the length/frequency relation.

flak monkey 05-18-2004 02:03 PM

They are all the same length. Just ask someone to measure theirs....anyone reading this care to oblige? Sure someone must be able to...i would but i dont have a radio here with me!

David :)

casper36 08-25-2004 08:22 PM

RE: Replaced Antenna T-Maxx

I read somewhere that info from Traxxas rep said to use 24 gauge 24 inches long.I just changed my beat up antenna on my T-Maxx and used what the rep said exept I used 22 gauge instead of 24.
I had to use A 5\64 drill bit with my fingers to slightly enlarge the pass through hole on the receiver board and the cover,then I just soldered the wire on. I Purchased A 4 foot peice of antenna tubing from my hobby shop,measured and cut off A 1 foot piece (stock size).It is by far more flexible then the Traxxas tubing was and the 22 gauge fit perfectly inside,then I just coiled the rest of wire around the tubing.
All is well ,new antenna works great!I just found out that if you take apart an old network cable ,the wires inside are the perfect size and braid.

Drive it like you own it !~

camra88 08-26-2004 05:31 AM

I've heard that wrapping reciever antenna around itself isnt recommended. Anyone know why? I cant seem to find any information about how antennas work anywhere on google [:@] [:@] [:@] [:@] [sm=punching.gif] [sm=angry.gif] [sm=thumbdown.gif] [sm=crying.gif]

casper36 08-26-2004 12:28 PM

I know traxxas recommends to coil it ,who knows...I have never had A problem coiling the excess wire.Anyone else??