RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Why is the THUNDER/BAJA KING such a good kit? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1843164-why-thunder-baja-king-such-good-kit.html)

The Boss 05-24-2004 08:54 PM

Why is the THUNDER/BAJA KING such a good kit?

1 Attachment(s)
History lesson 101, I know there are some people/newbies that visit here that just don't understand why a 13+ year old designed kit that came out in 1991, the Thunder/Baja King can be so good even with todays new trucks out... here is some tech info on a few reasons why it is such a good kit ...

In 1991 the MRC Thunder/Baja King trucks came on the market place with features that some of which are showing up on todays new products, some examples are...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...67/Ki18719.jpg
In 1991 the MRC WorldS8Scale kits came out with hard anodized alumium shock housings with 4 mm thick shock shafts which even today no company has 4mm shafts on an 8scale kit ( just recently OFNA has an 3.5 mm upgrade shock shaft kit out now for there kits)

In 1991 the TK/BK kits came with a high power dual steering servo system that had twin bell crank/servo savers that cut the stress load of each servo in half (we are now seeing TRAXXAS, LOSI and other companys coming out with simular systems)

In 1991 the TK/BK kits came stock with epoxy/glass shock towers that are lighter/stonger and have a better flex memory than aluminum shock towers (even today these type of epoxy/glass, graphite, carbon fiber shock towers are sold as an upgrade or are on top of the line 8scale race buggys)

In 1991 the TK/BK kits came with a large race ball differential that helped put more/better power to the ground than most regular spider diffs found in most kits today ( today ball diffs are very common specificly in many types of racing kits and some companys will sell ball diffs as an upgrade for some of there kits)

In 1991 theTK/BK kits were first kits designed with a "channeled" pan chassis that was many times stonger than regular pan chassis kits, this way MRC could use a thinner 2mm chassis plate that would be stonger than most all standard 3+ mm thick pan chassis kits ( today we are seeing more companys making diffrent styles of chassis)

In the past I seen advertising of expensive after market S/M chassis with the weight of a full size car on them. I wanted to see how much weight a STOCK! $33.00 dollar TK/BK pan chassis could hold so I used a Ford XLT 4x4 truck for my test, I set wooden blocks as far apart as I could (8.5 inches) the trucks tire tread width was (6.5 inches), the full weight of the passanger front tire was placed on the STOCK $33.00 TK/BK chassis and the STOCK 2mm thick chassis did NOT FAIL!, it sat for over 20 minutes with the 4x4 trcks weight on it with no problems, after wards I checked and the chassis did NOT have ANY BEND to it.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...67/Zx70762.jpg
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...67/Tr49602.jpg
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/upfi...67/Jh14775.jpg
Another thing about the NTK kit when it came out was that it was the FIRST! 8scale truck on the market to have a onboard elc starting system designed for a .21+size engine which worked EXCELLENT and has not been done on any other 8scale kit. (today we have the "ROTO START" system which is basicly the same style/type as the NTK but a hand held variation)

These are some of the things that make this 13+ year old design a very cool, tough and unique truck kit and best of all you can just pick up the phone and order the parts you want yourself direct from MRC with out having to rely on some guy behind a HS counter (that may not care if you get your parts or not) ordering your parts because MRC sells DIRECT!!! so YOU/I AM IN CONTROL of my parts orders, not someone else.

edit; having pic problems

Smokinjoe6450 05-24-2004 09:08 PM

RE: Why is the THUNDER/BAJA KING such a good kit?

So how mant of these do you own? What shape are they in? Pics??

The Boss 05-24-2004 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Smokinjoe, I have 3 Nitro Thunder King "Monster Jam" bash kits and 3 nitro Baja king racer kits. I just wanted to post some tech info because some of the younger guys/newbies don't know about the MRC THUNDER KING trucks which were one of the best 2wd super8scale stadium trucks EVER built. To the people that know about these 13+ year old designed kits know that these kits are a force to be reckoned with even today on race tracks and even bashing. The MRC kits were far ahead of there time and today you see other companys coming out with designs/concepts that that MRC had on ther kits many years before r/c was as popular as it is now. MRC is now no longer assembling any of there own designed kits anymore, because of costs they can not stay competitve.

Interestingly MRC is still advertising this kit in there web site.
http://www.modelrec.com/catalog/item28.html

Here are some examples of these rare kits.

The Boss 05-24-2004 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I should also mention that the stock TK/BK chassis weighs just under 250 grams and again is 2mm thick aircraft type aluminum.

Here is the factory parts/price list sheet with the price of the chassis and a pic of a stock polished chassis.

chase044 05-24-2004 11:41 PM

those look prety cool how old is the 2nd truck down. not he 2nd pic. the 2nd truck. the blue flag one. they look prety cool. i wonder if the could race against ion the same clas the maxx and savage.

The Boss 05-25-2004 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi chase044, the blue Nitro Baja King is mine, when I put this truck together, I wanted to see what a NTK would look like with clean aluminum, the truck has a stock chassis layout with exception of the engine which at this time was a K-B .82 (13cc) marine engine that makes 4hp and spins over 20.000rpm. It was a real pain to run (too big of a carb and I think the engine timing was a bit crazy for a vehicle too). I got a new K-B 1.00 ci DF hybird engine for it that makes almost 5hp at 22.000rpm that I was planning to put in and test this summer when I have time. I think it will be a better idling engine. Right now I am testing a XTM 24.7 engine in it. We have raced these kits at our local 8scale club park against many diffrent kits and it's best competition is racing it against 8scale buggys. Heres a short vid clip of a NBK testing on the club track (breaking in a new enigine)

http://www.madmaxx.de/monstertrucks/...derking02.mpeg

The Boss 05-25-2004 04:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just for another comparison, The factory ball diff in the stock TK/BK kits I would say is one of the biggest 8scale ball diffs out using 3mm balls, and a Kyosho 7.5 Torson race diff will also fit in the NTK tranny. Here is a comparison of a Fioroni 7.5 kyosho torson race diff (left side) and the stock thunder King ball diff (right side), you can see the extra beef just of the stock drive cups of the TK ball diff.

Element 05-25-2004 06:31 AM

nice pictures and video.How much did they cost when the were available?
I would love to get one but I have way to many project going as it is[:o]

The Boss 05-25-2004 08:26 AM

Hi Element, you can still find old stock new elc kits in some odd places usualy for good prices, the nitro kits were all sold out a while back from what I know. From what I know the NTK kits were sold by Tower hobbies for $350.00 to $400.00 but you could find them cheaper at other outlets, I remember Tower even had a NTK "kit" listed that you had to supply your own engine and radio for about $229.00 before the radio and non radio versions came out.

The electric kits were far more common and made for many years before the limited production nitro version came out. Sometimes you see used ones come up for sale in diffrent places and I hope the info I have been posting helps people to know what these kits are all about when they do see one for sale. Sheldons Hobbies has some limited stock of new ELC kits on sale.

http://www.sheldonshobbies.com/listing/hotmrc.html

Here is an artical from Pointed magazine on the NTK kit
http://www.pointedmagazine.com/001122mrcnitroking.htm

Element 05-25-2004 08:49 AM

hmm those are good prices ounce i finish projects I may pick one up.
Ill keep my eye on ebay too.

Thanks
-Greg

Edit: you wouldnt happen to be a tamiya fan would you?

The Boss 05-25-2004 09:31 AM

Yup! I had lots of elc Tamiya stuff when I first got in the hobby but sold much of it off. BTW, I have heard that there is a Tamiya connection to the MRC "worlds8scale" product line, I am not sure if it's all true but I heard a asian enginer that was working for Tamiya designed the BK/TK kits for MRC. MRC had close ties with Tamiya being that MRC brought and distributied Tamiya to the North american market originaly.

I love Tamiya products, they have some of the nicest scale kits and I believe some of there older products are worth good money now, It's interesting to think if the BK/TK kits could have possibly been and sold as Tamiya's own kits lol.

Element 05-25-2004 10:15 AM

That sounds like it would be a great connection if its true the mrc kits have the same feel as the tamiyas.

Ya most of the the 3 speeds are worth in the upper hundereds to thousands.I can only dream of having one in my collection.There si a guy on clodtalk that I believe has 30+ 3 speeds and they all are fully customized with tamiya hopups!I have a clod with a zilla chassis and was looking into a blackfoot untill I read this thread:D

sn0wrider 05-25-2004 02:19 PM

HOLY SH1T!!!!!!:D

The Boss 05-26-2004 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a few more thoughts, it is interesting how many choices the TK/BK kits have now in todays market with diffrent tire and body choices because of how popular 8scale truck kits have become. The MRC TK/BK kits have factory wheels that are basicly the same size and dimensions as the stock T maxx/Savage wheel so it is kind of funny how the TK/BK kits had a size of wheel/rim and even factory tire 13+ years ago that other companys are now making.

The 13+ year old designed stock TK/BK wheel is in the center with the factory tire which are both basicly the simular in size as the stock T maxx wheel and tire, the wheels on the out side of it are moded stock TK/BK wide wheels for using with big M/T tires.
13+ years ago the MRC TK/BK kits came stock as 14 inch wheel base kits so it is interesting to see how popular 14 inch wheel base truck kits have become with todays 8scale truck kits because most new kits are around 14+ inches in wheel base. Body wise I see more and more new bodys are being made for trucks with this 14+ inch wheel base so the wheel well openings match up correctly which is also cool for the TK/BK kits.

pro-line has a new 8scale type hummer body that they made for the MGT #3165-00 that fits great on the TK's 14 inch wheel base.
The new 14 inch wheel base 8scale Digger body that Parma is making fits great on the TK, the wheel base is perfect for it.

xtm 05-27-2004 12:28 PM

Hey kaz was wondering could that torsion diff work in a storm buggy or would it take much modding ? or is the 7.5 the same size as a ofna hyper 7 center diff because they fit also

The Boss 05-27-2004 02:01 PM

Hi xtm, I am not sure but I think the 7.5 torson will not fit the Storm or Hyper 7, some of these Torsons have diffrent housing diamiters and I believe the Kyosho Torson has a smaller 24mm housing than other torsons. Remember Torson and Ball Diff are racing diffs and have a higher maintainance issue and have there own specificly recomended greases.

To use the Fioroni 7.5 Kyosho diff in the TK/BK kits takes a few mods to do but fits nice, here's some more comparison pics between the stock TK/BK ball diff and the Fioroni Torson.

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...8/im001759.jpg

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...8/im001765.jpg

The Boss 05-27-2004 02:22 PM

One other very interesting and excellent option that can be done on the stock TK/BK ball diffs because they are so big is that they can be "PEGGED" using perferably AE slipper pegs or even Traxxas slpper pegs to convert the diff to more of a more posi/spool type diff, but still have some "give"and "shock absorbtion" making easyer on drive line parts making it BETTER! than ANY fully locked spool you can buy for any kit because it breaks less parts than fully locked spools. This mod works excellent if your just using your kit for bashing and fun. It also helps lower the diff maintainance for guys that don't like to do it.

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...8/info_052.jpg

The Boss 05-27-2004 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some of the old factory MRC pamphiet/mag adds, hopfully you can see them good

ThermalRD 05-27-2004 04:18 PM

Hey Gator, how long do the RX packs last in that nitro king? I noticed you posted it had 2 steering servos. I just want to get an idea what im in for with the LST having twin steering servos too.

Thanks, Matt

The Boss 05-27-2004 04:53 PM

Hi ThermalRD, I don't know how helpfull my info on batterys will be, I only use alkaline throw away batterys now, I don't use rechargeables any more. I recommend to all guys using the same to run a set of fresh receiver batterys for 6, half a dozen full tanks of fuel and then to change them to be safe, you could use the alkalines a bit longer (maybe 3 more tanks) but I feel 6 tanks is very safe on a good pack.

All Recevier batterys are always on high draw for any kit because of constant servo movment.

A fresh set of alkalines in the transmiter can last up to over a gallon of fuel because they are only sending a signal.

The reason I moved away from rechargables is that I can NOT deal with charging batterys anymore, I can buy a 40pack of AA batterys for $10.00 canadian (about $7.00 US dollars), I just look at Fuel, batterys, glow plugs as consumables and when you do the math is is VERY cheap.

40 batterys = 10 sets of 4. each set should have a run time of 6 tanks (10 to 15 minutes for each tank) = minumum 60 minutes for a pack of 4 receiver batterys x 10 =600 hours for $7.00 and I NEVER!!! have to worry about rechargeables, I can play ANYWHERE, ANYTIME with NO worrys.

The only key to all this is to invest in a $10.-$15. dollar TX/RX battery tester because it is possible to get duds in a alkaline pack so ALWAYS test a new set of batterys BEFRORE you use them.

NOTE, many times the old set of recevier batterys can/could still be used in other low draw things like clocks and so on.

ThermalRD 05-27-2004 09:09 PM

Thanks Gator, good info. I'll just time my runs with the RX pack on my LST, and see how many tanks im getting.

Matt

jefx 05-27-2004 09:53 PM

Hey there gator8, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why do you keep making this same thread over and over again? I realize that you're in love with the NTK, and from the info you've given (countless times) it does look to be a durable and fun truck, but all your threads are the same. I don't understand the reason why you feel you need to sell people on a kit that can no longer be bought. It may be as capable as the newer generation nitro trucks, but it's obsolete..........they are no longer made, they are obscure.

I could understand if alot of people were posting questions about this truck and you were trying to help them out, but that's not the case. These "NTK is still better than everything else" threads are always started by you. It almost seems as if you're looking to start a flame, but no one's arguing with you because no one is familiar with this truck.

I could also understand your devotion if this kit was readily available to the general public, but it's not. Like you said, it was a limited production truck from 13 years ago.

If a newbie were to take your advise to get one, they'd have to search long and hard for one, and if they got one they'd be the proud owner of an antique. I'd be afraid to drive it after that much searching, because when it breaks (it will break eventually) it will be just as hard to find replacement parts. You can't just go and pick them up at your LHS.

So my question is still............why?

The Boss 05-28-2004 12:08 AM

LOL jefx, are you loosing sleep over my threads on the forum, do you lay there in your bed at night having THUNDER KING!!! nightmares lol.

My question to you is WHY do you post about the same thing over and over and over about your t maxx?, to me you sound like a broken record jabering about the same old thing constantly lol.

We/I have given you answers to your questions in this and other TK/BK threads and you still keep repeating yourself, I don't know what else to say to you. I guess if I was talking about your beloved t maxx over and over and over then that would be OK with you RIGHT? lol and I am sure you would get it RIGHT? lol. BELEAVE ME the TK/BK kits are NOT for guys like you.

IF the TK/BK kit does not interest you... my question is......WHY? do you keep on coming and posting in these TK/BK threads?, there is a specific forum just made for you that I never will, have, want, to go to that is perfect for you... the t maxx forum... enjoy!

My suggestion to you is to take your own advise.... "Leave now and never come back".

BTW there were only 500 limited production numberd OFNA TWIN TITANS made that were sold out this year, but according to YOU!, we should not be talking about these either because YOU! can not buy one right lol. YOUR comments just don't make sence.

BTW, as I said before... you buy parts DIRECT! from the company that OWNS the product lol, what could be better than that lol.:eek:

LAST but not LEAST... this is the "OTHER TRUCK FORUM" is it not lol, closed minded people like you is one of the reasons why I will NEVER own a maxx kit (nothing in common).

ORIGINAL: jefx

Hey there gator8, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why do you keep making this same thread over and over again? I realize that you're in love with the NTK, and from the info you've given (countless times) it does look to be a durable and fun truck, but all your threads are the same. I don't understand the reason why you feel you need to sell people on a kit that can no longer be bought. It may be as capable as the newer generation nitro trucks, but it's obsolete..........they are no longer made, they are obscure.

I could understand if alot of people were posting questions about this truck and you were trying to help them out, but that's not the case. These "NTK is still better than everything else" threads are always started by you. It almost seems as if you're looking to start a flame, but no one's arguing with you because no one is familiar with this truck.

I could also understand your devotion if this kit was readily available to the general public, but it's not. Like you said, it was a limited production truck from 13 years ago.

If a newbie were to take your advise to get one, they'd have to search long and hard for one, and if they got one they'd be the proud owner of an antique. I'd be afraid to drive it after that much searching, because when it breaks (it will break eventually) it will be just as hard to find replacement parts. You can't just go and pick them up at your LHS.

So my question is still............why?

The Boss 05-28-2004 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You know jefx, I was thinking that maybe you should phone MRC and order a T SHIRT! DIRECT! from MRC that will make you feel better at night lol... it might help you sleep:D

part#9709S $13.25 DIRECT!

jefx 05-28-2004 07:56 PM

WHOA! Calm down there big fella! I wasn't trying to start a flame (or add fuel to yours). It was merely a question. I'm not attacking your truck (although I can't say the same for you). I have in the past read your threads and agreed that the NTK looks like a solid truck. I'm sure it's fun to drive and I've been impressed with the videos you've posted. I'm not saying it's not all that you claim, I'm just questioning the purpose of your "mightier than all" threads.

It almost seems as if you're looking to start a flame, but no one's arguing with you because no one is familiar with this truck.

Looks like I found my answer.

LOL jefx, are you loosing sleep over my threads on the forum, do you lay there in your bed at night having THUNDER KING!!! nightmares lol.

My question to you is WHY do you post about the same thing over and over and over about your t maxx?, to me you sound like a broken record jabering about the same old thing constantly lol.

We/I have given you answers to your questions in this and other TK/BK threads and you still keep repeating yourself, I don't know what else to say to you. I guess if I was talking about your beloved t maxx over and over and over then that would be OK with you RIGHT? lol and I am sure you would get it RIGHT? lol. BELEAVE ME the TK/BK kits are NOT for guys like you.

IF the TK/BK kit does not interest you... my question is......WHY? do you keep on coming and posting in these TK/BK threads?, there is a specific forum just made for you that I never will, have, want, to go to that is perfect for you... the t maxx forum... enjoy!

My suggestion to you is to take your own advise.... "Leave now and never come back".

BTW there were only 500 limited production numberd OFNA TWIN TITANS made that were sold out this year, but according to YOU!, we should not be talking about these either because YOU! can not buy one right lol. YOUR comments just don't make sence.

BTW, as I said before... you buy parts DIRECT! from the company that OWNS the product lol, what could be better than that lol.

LAST but not LEAST... this is the "OTHER TRUCK FORUM" is it not lol, closed minded people like you is one of the reasons why I will NEVER own a maxx kit (nothing in common).

xtm 05-28-2004 08:21 PM

Hey Kaz I luv it everywhere u go u can find someone that just gives a **** alittle too much and gets worked up makes for good reading lol:D:D

Spudnik 05-28-2004 08:25 PM

can we stop fighting with eachother and start fighting with our trucks?:D

nd2xlr8 05-28-2004 09:46 PM

Gator I personally appreciate the overview you have given on the Thunder King. While I don't think this is the kit for me, I believe I will appreciate one the next time I see it. You only get accolade's from me.:D It's sometimes refreshing to see something you don't see everyday.

The Boss 05-29-2004 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, lately I have seen companys making and advertising roll bars and cages for newer truck kits, I see them with these cages with people standing on them so I wanted to do a test on the $7.70 STOCK Nitro Thunder King body mounts to see what kind of pressure the STOCK $7.70 dollar nylon body mounts could take. The STOCK body mount system that that is used on the NTK kits is one of the BEST!!! mount systems ever made for an r/c truck kit, just one of the reasons for this is that the STOCK body mounts are NOT!!! mounted on the tops of the shock towers, so the shock towers can do there job better by just being SHOCK TOWERS!!! and the body mounts can be BODY MOUNTS!!!, also the STOCK body mounts are made from virgin nylon which adds flexability and durability.

For my test I used a full size 4x4 differential from a 1990 Toyota 4-Runner and set it across a board that was set on top of the STOCK NTK body mounts, This 4x4 Toyota steel diff weighs over !!!200 POUNDS!!! and I set it on top of the STOCK BODY MOUNTS!!! ONLY...with...!!!NO EXTRA SUPPORT!!!, it did NOT FAIL!!! and held the 200+pound weight. I took pics very low so you can see AIR between the engine head and diff support board.

The Boss 05-30-2004 11:05 AM

BTW, thanx guys, I do appreciate the comments, veiws, opinons, I just like to let people/newbies know about older kits they may not know about.:D

Savage_Dias 05-30-2004 02:02 PM

Not to knock your thread or anything but that pick reminds me of an experiment my jr high science teacher showed us. He would let one or two students in the class squeeze an egg in their hand & to the amazement of the class the eggs wouldn't break. There was another one I saw on TV where they sat a car on top of groupings of eggs & they didn't brake either. Again, I'm not trying to bust your claims or say the pics were faked (I seriously doubt they were BTW) but your pics only show force presented in two directions at a steady rate. R/Cs tend to wreck with a strong initial impact from progressive angles follwed by bouncing, tossing, & more impacts. It wouldn't surprise me if you could do the same axle experiment with a grouping of plastic straws.

From what I've read, the Thunder King was way ahead of it's time I give a lot of credit to MRC's engineers for their ideas & designs but like jefx said it's a discontinued truck so it's kindof pointless to try to "sell" it to everyone. I'm thrilled that you love your truck & I hope you keep posting pics / videos of it but I think you're trying a little too hard to defend a truck that noone is flaming. Give us some good old fashioned "Hey I did this & got it on video" threads instead of repeating the same threads.:D

The Boss 05-30-2004 03:02 PM

Hi SavageD, I understand were you are coming from but my point was to compare guys that are standing with all there weight on all these new roll cages that are out now... thats all and NOTHING ELSE. You are correct in your statement but... Could you please do a test for me and set a 200+ pound full size truck diff on ends of an EGG and let me know how it works out.:D and PLEASE post a pic of the results.:eek:

Have you looked at any of the vids I have posted??? of quote:"Hey I did this & got it on video" threads instead of repeating the same threads. "end quote, if not here is a link of... Hey GUYS!!! I did this & got it on video... check it out!!!

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...k/videos_1.cfm

I am VERY sorry I have gave some of you the impression of posting anything other that INFO, but I am NOT selling ANYTHING HERE!, I am just posting INFO INFO INFO, I am also NOT defending ANYTHING HERE!, I am just posting INFO INFO INFO:D I have NOTHING to defend or sell to anyone, just posting info on an old school kit.

I HONESTLY do not know how to post the INFO any other way to make some of you happy and not take offence to it, maybe I will start my posts for now on with "I am sorry" instead of "Hi"

The Boss 05-30-2004 03:05 PM

I AM SORRY, btw SavageD, I am looking foward to see the pics of your EGG or even your plastic straws holding up and balancing a 200+ pound fullsize truck diff.

The Boss 05-31-2004 03:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, just a note on the topic of after market support. There were a good few companys making some hopups and custom parts for these kits at one time or another, companys like A&L, JPS, DA, TRINITY, MOTION GRAPHICS, PARMA, and a few others made custom and performance stuff like aluminum wheels, bodys, graphite chassis, gears, motors, steering components, graphite shock towers, batterys and more stuff too. So custom parts can still be found floating around if you know what to look for and who to ask.

The Boss 06-15-2004 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, on the topic of weight ANY true racer kit will be made as light as possible and ANY true racer knows light weight = speed/power. In this area also the super8scale Thunder - Baja King kits excell over many others also. As an example my Nitro Baja King racer that is basicly a stock layout and is set up for a bit of bashing/thrashing weighs approx 7 pounds RTR (Ready To Run) and if I was looking/wanting the max in weight savings I could shed approx 1 pound on weight off of the kit still.

I weighed some of the componets off of my 8scale Baja King kit that I could remove or change to save more weight if some one wanted to lower it's stock 7 pound weight.

remove on board starter assembly, 240 grams
remove extra steering servo, 40 grams
change out extra servo saver, 10 grams
change out stock body, 50+ grams
remove bash/skid bumpers, 100 grams
change out upper bodys mounts, 10 grams
change out brake/throttle servo mount, 10 grams
change out stock clutch/flywheel setup, 30 grams
change out stock sport pipe, 20+ grams

= 510 GRAMS !!! that could be saved in weight if needed, and I am sure I could save more weight here and there too, I could drill a few lightening holes also in a few parts to save a bit more weight. This chassis also has room to move/shift weight around also to help with balance if needed. So basicly I could get this kit weighing 6 pounds or less EASLY! just by removing and changing a few parts. The math is easy, 6 pounds! with a 2.75 HP! engine. An interesting side note is that a 10scale version of this kit is even a bit lighter than 6 pounds and would be to light to race legaly in the "open" m/t class so EXTRA weight (maybe? 100+ grams) would have to be added like heavyer parts/tires to make it legal to race in that class.

One last note is that I just want to remind people that the Thunder King / Baja King kits are NOT!!! converted buggys/truggys, these kits were built and designed right from the start as a true " STADIUM TRUCK KIT" and NOT any kind of converted "vehicle".

The performace a person could expect from a nitro TK/BK kit (with the right engine and mods) is that of most 8scale race buggys, just in a "TRUE" truck package and this is why these kits can run on par with some of the better buggys on the market.

darrylcatkins 06-24-2004 05:48 PM

first of all that is not a real impressive test if u ask me....i have had men over 200 pounds step on my stuff not paying attension and not break anything....besides u can put alot more stress on a object if it is suplied in a controlled fashion such as your "diff", which is not a diff but a axle housing, the diff bolts to the back side of your axle housing, which may or may not be in the axle housing because u took the picture of the opposite side of the axle housing, which if it is not in there would lighten your axle housing by about 75 pounds making this picture even less inpressive.....jump it and roll hard a couple of times and put those pics on there and u might make a believer out of me.

mikeylok13 06-27-2004 03:40 PM

Hi gator8 i have an old electric thunder king and would like to make it
nitro is it possible? can you post some info?
thank you

The Boss 06-28-2004 03:43 AM

Well darryl... to repeat AGAIN what I said before, I did this test to compare all these OTHER rollcage type products out now with people standing on them... thats all and nothing else, and as you can see the STOCK $7.70 NTK bodys mounts can hold about a max of 200 pounds. ALL 90 Toyota 4runner rear axle housings with out the center section weigh over 200 pounds and thats a fact. I don't need to convince you or make you a beleiver of anything, FACT is it is a VERY TOUGH kit . Your comments are BS.

FACT is the NTK kits are one of the BEST kits we use every year in our Monster Jam shows... quote"jump it and roll it hard" which we do just that every year and have MANY vids showing it on our club site.

http://www.nitroextreme.com/cars_tru...k/videos_1.cfm

mikey, it is very possible to convert this kit, we have info on our club site.

http://forums.nitroextreme.com/index...c&topicID=1422

ZondaC12 03-02-2005 06:41 PM

id like to say im glad youve posted this thread as i have NEVER heard of this truck before, and thats neat to see something like this that stands out as a REALLY durable, beastly truck. but one q about the electric start--it says onboard, do you have to hook up a battery or is THAT onboard too so like u just have to put the glow plug heater on press a button and start? thats awesome (well if thats the case. even if not its still cool) also even with a .21 that thing must be a bit slow, at least to get going, as strong as it is that must mean alot thick and HEAVY metal right?

The Boss 03-02-2005 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: ZondaC12

id like to say im glad youve posted this thread as i have NEVER heard of this truck before, and thats neat to see something like this that stands out as a REALLY durable, beastly truck. but one q about the electric start--it says onboard, do you have to hook up a battery or is THAT onboard too so like u just have to put the glow plug heater on press a button and start? thats awesome (well if thats the case. even if not its still cool) also even with a .21 that thing must be a bit slow, at least to get going, as strong as it is that must mean alot thick and HEAVY metal right?
Thanks ZondaC12, some people here just have a complex about a old kit that is as good if not better than their new kits lol. The onboard start system is basicly the same thing as the newer "roto start" system... you could almost say the roto start was copyed from the MRC NTK design, they basicly use very simular main parts (540 motor) but the older NTK version is all bolted on the truck. The battery just plugs in to the unit, some guys have mounted the starter battery onboard also (best place is under the tank) and besides for starting they use it also to power the recevier/servos.

You can see the starter system in front of the engine in these pics. This NTK had a modified 4HP .82 = 13CC K&B marine engine in it when these pics were taken.
http://www.madmaxx.de/monstertrucks/...bajaking04.jpg
http://www.madmaxx.de/monstertrucks/...bajaking05.jpg