RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   best .18 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/1887335-best-18-a.html)

jmangone23 tzs 06-09-2004 11:34 AM

best .18

whats the best .18 engine that will not be hard to tune????

ThermalRD 06-09-2004 12:03 PM

RE: bestest

In my opinion nothing beats an OS. I would go for the OS .18 cvr

ORIGINAL: jmangone23

whats the best .18 engine that will not be hard to tune????

fhm101 06-10-2004 10:23 AM

I've also heard the OS is an awesome engine, but have yet to see one in person. I heard the same about the Sirio 18 and it was a major letdown when I got one. Of the .18's I've had hands on experience with, the Fantom is hands down the baddest of the bunch.

Deandome 06-10-2004 12:39 PM

I'm assuming you are talking T-Maxx, every other current/popular MTs are using big blocks.

So A) say if it is indeed a Maxx, and if so, is EZ Start compatibility important to you and/or B) check the Maxx forum (no need to re-post if you do a search!!!).

I don't think the OS is EZ Start compatible (nor is the Epic, another option to consider), which is a biggie for me. Sirio & Fantoms are the main/only .18 drop ins that ARE EZS-firendly, and I'd say the vote is 50/50.

Dean

Skagen 06-10-2004 02:16 PM

If you're talking about a T-Maxx go with the Fantom FR18. Awesome motor and easy to tune. Holds a great idle too.

xtm 06-10-2004 04:54 PM

RE: best .18

not sure y u think a sirio is a let down but I hav 1 and it has plent of go if u ask me . To bad I dont like how my maxx handles

Avalanche 06-10-2004 08:04 PM

The good old Sirio .18 is one of the best built engines I have ever seen. The quality of the machine work and fit and finish is second to none. And it runs awsome, its cool and quick.

diirtbag 06-10-2004 08:27 PM

sirio is the best unless you cant tune many people have that problem with it

ranger1 06-10-2004 09:50 PM

i hope the sirio tx.18 3.0 is a good engine a am picking one up in the morning and installing it into my t-maxx pro .15 . did anyone do this yet if so please post about the linkage for the slide carb. because the pro .15 is the reg. carb and i'm wondering about the new linkage i have to fabricate to make this fit. do i need that throttle post for this or what? any info wil be a great help.

Avalanche 06-11-2004 06:14 AM

ORIGINAL: ZAD

sirio is the best unless you cant tune many people have that problem with it

The Sirio I put in my Tmaxx doesnt need any tuning at all, its rock steady and hardly needs any attention, simply awsome. The stinking TRX 2.5 it replaced was a complete nightmare POS, The Sirio is like a dream, and this comes from a Tmaxx hater. The truck is a piece of crap but at least it has a great engine now.

fhm101 06-16-2004 09:00 AM

I never had any problem tuning the Sirio, it just never lived up to it's rep. I was expecting a real ripper and it actually turned out to be too mild mannered for my lite (6.5 pound) race trucks even with the turbo plug button. As for the quality of the fit and finish, I've seen better work from a blacksmith shop. Whatever you want to call it, the Sirio line is still made by Picco on the same machines and by the same hands that turn out those carp heaps so why would you expect a new name to erase years of poor quality? The sirio has suffered from incorrectly drilled backplates and wide variations in button thickness from day one and Trinity seems determined to ignore the problem in hopes that it will simply go away. Not all Sirios have these problems, but enough do that it makes buying one a roll of the dice since you will get zero help from Trinity of you happen to get a bad one. To sum up my feelings about the Sirio I owned and several others owned by people I know, if you like ho hum acceleration and not much top end you would like the Sirio. If you want a balls to the wall holeshot and as much top end as most RTR 21 engines in an EZ start compatible engine, the Fantom 18 is for you.