RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Anyone Own a Revo 3.3? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/3985544-anyone-own-revo-3-3-a.html)

ashburg 03-03-2006 09:48 AM

Anyone Own a Revo 3.3?

Well, I've definately decided on my next Monster Truck Basher rice rocket...When the new Revo 3.3 comes out on March 30th, 2006, I'm there dude :D

Here's a [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/revo/revo33/trx_revo33.htm]Revo 3.3 Overview[/link] with pics, details, etc

So let's make some history guys and gals and share our tips, tricks, hop-ups, and bashing stories on this, the official unofficial Revo 3.3 thread :D

My first question is - what's going to break first and what do I need to stock up on? I'm a big block man, I have a Savage X with an OS .30 in it currently (got rid of my warhead and my nitro tc3+ and I miss them!!).

Is there any point in stocking up on anything yet since we don't know how hard this baby will bash yet and what she'll take? Looks to me like the Revo will take quite a beating as is evident in these [link=http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/videos/videos.asp]Revo Videos[/link]

I would REALLY like to see some revo videos...post some links guys and thanks for the input!!!

ashburg

http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitr...crystalblu.jpg

ofnaDOMINATION! 03-03-2006 10:08 AM

RE: Anyone Own a Revo 3.3?

Is the only difference the engine?

ashburg 03-03-2006 10:19 AM

No, to my understanding they've hopped up a few items...I'll try to find the compelling information that I ran across that convinced me to get the Revo 3.3 and post it asap.

ORIGINAL: ofnaDOMINATION!

Is the only difference the engine?

choops01 03-03-2006 10:28 AM

Hey Ash
I think I am in the same boat as you are.
I should have gotten one instead of the Warhead.
Now that the wheelbase is longer I am going to jump on the revo bandwagon.
Steve

binaryterror 03-03-2006 10:29 AM

The Revo 3.3 isn't due out until March 30th so no one other than a few test and traxxas employees own them.

Far more differences than just a paint job and engine. Read the link ashburg posted for all the changes.

spacoli 03-03-2006 11:43 AM

Yea Ash,

Lets get this party started. I guess you have decided to go Revo.

Mine on order from Tower $479.99 shipped, can't wait. Took advantage of the $30. off code, then two days later after I placed my order they went and dropped the price $22.[X(] I was on the phone imediatly with tower and they give me the new price. Can't beat that price.:D

The difference is 30mm extended chassis, P2 rockers, center diff and rear brake option.

Minor stuff, new charger adapter will charge 7.2 ez start battery, different wheels and longer body.
I have read somewhere that there is a failsafe installed, but have not confirmed that yet.

binaryterror 03-03-2006 11:50 AM

You guys, the new 3.3 Revo DOES NOT INCLUDE the center diff or rear brake, you must buy those seperate!

Direct copy and paste from the Traxxas site: For the hardcore racer, Revo 3.3 has been designed to use the new Traxxas Revo center differential and rear brake kit (sold separately).

ashburg 03-03-2006 12:26 PM

oh boy...ok, you're right binary...here's the official Traxxas [link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/nitro/revo/revo33/trx_revo33_accessories.htm]hop up list[/link]

spacoli 03-03-2006 04:25 PM

Yes I know, I beleive I said it was an option. I might have worded it wrong.

"The difference is 30mm extended chassis, P2 rockers, center diff and rear brake option."

Received an email from Traxxas today and they said there is a failsafe in the optidrive unit.

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

You guys, the new 3.3 Revo DOES NOT INCLUDE the center diff or rear brake, you must buy those seperate!

Direct copy and paste from the Traxxas site: For the hardcore racer, Revo 3.3 has been designed to use the new Traxxas Revo center differential and rear brake kit (sold separately).

Whoa G 03-03-2006 05:22 PM

ooooo, failsafe, too? that seals the deal then, the icing on the cake, so to speak. Yeah, when the money is there, Revo it is! i was considering the 4.6 SS, but now the Revo is lookin' fine! how much would you think it would be in Canada?

Chronic 03-03-2006 06:13 PM

I like this one. Kind of an unoriginal way to answer HPI with their new Savage X, but I really like the changes. Bigger is better for the Revo as far as I'm concerned. Two speed with a center diff? Cool. Revo suspension on a stretched wheelbase? Nice. Front and rear brake biasing? That's awesome. I just don't want to pay 150 extra dollars for all of that useless junk that comes with the RTR. Yank the engine, ALL of the electronics, do a FOC conversion, and throw a couple of good hop-ups in the box.....and I'd buy one in a second.

The factory failsafe is in the opti-drive. Meaning you would have to KEEP the opti-drive to use it, and who wants to do that? I'm almost certain that my buddy's regular Revo had that though, it's not new to this truck.

bauerbach 03-03-2006 06:15 PM

well Im new here, but I got the bug back. senior year of college, spring weather, needed something to pass the time since my HS days of racing.

brought out the old losi electric buggies and truck(xx-cr, xxt-cr) they are a blast, but as always, disappointed with their speed and offroading ability.

going nitro and going with a monster truck this time. this revo3.3 seems to be the ticket. the only competition I found for it was the LST2, but a few things turn me off from that, much heavier, and much more expensive. and Im not sure what the benefit is, the revo has the better suspension travel, and now with the new engine, equal power(I think, cant find any hard numbers for the 3.3)

anyway, looks like a sweet truck, my only complaint is that I cant get my hands on one now!

by the way, I got an OS .46 laying around, you think thatll bolt right in?:)

dartmouth01 03-03-2006 06:40 PM

I have the revo, and i'm thinking of getting the LST2 now to add to my collection. While I really like the Revo for its innovative design and great parts support in most hobby shops(esp in the realm of suspension design), I broke way too many parts on small crashes. Plus, if you compare the size of the Revo against 1/8 scale bigger bros, it just looks tiny. I know the extended chassis in the 3.3 will help make it look bigger though. I thought I would be okay with the traxxas TQ radio, but I burnt up too many servos and lost my truck to runaways too many times. Its a cheap radio for a good truck. I now have a DX3 and the fact that you can program endpoints and dial servo throw is not only making my car drive better, but also putting less strain on the servos. You get what you pay for, and I hear the LST2 radio is a great RTR radio. While I'm glad I got my Revo, I wish I had done some more research and I'm sure would have found a car I would have been happier with in the end.

spacoli 03-03-2006 07:30 PM

That bring up a good point with the Radio.

What would be a good cheap reliable FM radio to replace the stock? Something that can be used with the stock servos and electronics.

Can the optidrive be used with a different radio?

I don't need all the bells and whistles, just reliable service.

Something like this work?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGAG2**&P=K

Wide Open 03-03-2006 08:44 PM

you know what spac? thats the exact radio that im going to get eventually. its got a 10 model memory, d/r, expo, etc. and i just flat like futaba.:D but instead of getting the one without the servos im going to buy the one that includes 1 servo because its a high torque unit.

Mech747 03-03-2006 10:38 PM

the only grape i got against traxxas is that why don't they come out with a kit!!! if they did i would have brought a revo in like two seconds :D

ashburg 03-03-2006 11:02 PM

Page 1 woo hooo :D

Wide Open 03-03-2006 11:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Mech747

the only grape i got against traxxas is that why don't they come out with a kit!!! if they did i would have brought a revo in like two seconds :D
i agree whole heartedly with you there. they say they listen to their customers but i think if they did a little more they would realize that we want a kit to come out.

firemanmatt 03-04-2006 10:00 AM

I wish Traxxas would have added a racing body for it. CEN and Losi both added racing bodies to their new trucks, and they look great. Alot of guys (me included) are wanting to go out and race their REVOs. You certainly can get by without a racing body, but I like my R/C trucks to have a full blown racing feel to them. The traditional body isnt a bad thing by any means, but why not include the racing body as a standard item in the RTR kit?

I love my REVO to say the least. I messed up breaking in the motor, but got a Picco .26 for Xmas that I can't wait to drop in!

ashburg 03-04-2006 08:39 PM

Just adding a link for posterity...here's the Tower Hobby Revo 3.3 [link=http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/traxxas/trac77.html]Splash Page[/link]

Bobby33 03-07-2006 01:06 AM

what is a rice rocket?

dustin7837 03-07-2006 02:21 AM

Rice rocket refers to those little asian cars that usually look cheap but when built up nicely can beat the pants off an american muscle car due to high power and low weight.

Was down at my LHS today and he has a test revo 3.3. LOOKS SWEET! He wouldn't let me drive it but he said he ahd it at a track here in calgary, alberta and it whooped eveything out there. He says that it is so good on the track they are locally considering putting it in the truggy class instead of MT.

Haldir 03-07-2006 03:59 AM

I have a Revo 4.6 and it's fast, look at my sig:D

aXeL718 03-08-2006 07:04 PM

Hi guys I had a t-maxx back in 2000 and i broke it then pretty much just lost the thing. I wanna get back into the hobby. I really would like some advice on what to get. I just want something to have fun with. I WONT BE RACING, but i love speed. I live in New york city, Queens. I was really thinking about a Savage X but the Revo 3.3 looks interesting.

I really want a monster truck that isnt going to break on me... also the revo looks like it sits low, i dont like that..... and in the videos it looked like they could hardly land a jump with the thing..like it kept land on its side or back.. is that cuz of it being low? or the suspension? Which MT is better?
Or any other Monster Trucks i should be considering??

p.s. No LST2 suggestions...... I COULD BUY A NEW CAR WITH $650!!!

lol P.S.#2 Do all monster trucks flip when trying to make a quik turn? or was it only the t-maxx?

bauerbach 03-08-2006 07:21 PM

sitting low isnt nescessarily a bad thing, but it also has to do with how the suspension is set up.

Ive seen plenty of home made revo videos that make me think its quite possible for them to land a jump. true of all the cars though.

the lower the car sits, the faster you could take turns. but at the end of the day, none of them will take a turn at high speed, they will either flip or slide; no way their gonna just stick it through. lower CG is more likely to slide though.