RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Mammoth or Savage? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/4168550-mammoth-savage.html)

STI 04-15-2006 01:47 PM

Mammoth or Savage?

hello all. as the topic says which should be my next truck?

Chronic 04-15-2006 02:14 PM

RE: Mammoth or Savage?

A Mammoth MT or a Savage? Is this a joke?

Savage.

If you meant the Mammoth ST, or whatever the other one is, I don't really know anything about it personally. I've heard good and bad.

BAMF90 04-15-2006 02:16 PM

Well, for bashing definately the Savage. Racing, the Mammoth. They both have many hop-up options. Many people have their own opinions though and will talk BS about the Mammoth or BS about the Savage. To make the Mammoth a great truck you would need www.dadders.net braces, www.bigairproducts.com arms , and you could go on www.racernine.com for a complete set-up sheet on Racer Nine's Outlaw Mammoth. If you decide on the Mammoth you could go on the global hobby forums and there will be many people there who can answer your questions on the Mammoth. If you decide on the Savage, there is also a boat load of hop-ups you can buy. It all really depends on what you want to do with your truck. I mean you can race a savage, but you will need a lot of hop-ups, and you can bash a Mammoth, but again you would need a lot of hop-ups. Every truck is designed to do something different. I truly recommend the Savage, but it all really depends on what you want to do.

STI 04-15-2006 02:45 PM

thank you for your replies. currently i own a revo with os .18tm and thought i would like to buy another MT. as we dont have any hobby shops here i buy all my stuff overseas. so i called the guy and asked about the savage X or limited and he said he dont have them in stock. and recomended me the Mammoth with SH .28 engine. last year when i called him to buy the revo he recomended me the mammoth as well but i got the revo. when ever i call to buy a new MT for me or a friend he would recomend the mammoth. seriously i am thinking to buy it just to know what is so GREAT about it that he recomend it to me again and again. he told me it will handle perfectly on street and sand or where ever you drive it. i got involved in the hobby about 3 or 4 years ago and i know the savage is really popular truck but the mammoth? i really dont know.. i dont race i bash only..

so.. advice me :)

nitrohead5300 04-15-2006 03:37 PM

The Mammoth needs aftermarket parts to make it as durable as the Savage, but it does handle very well and takes jumps without any problems.

STI 04-15-2006 06:40 PM

is the mammoth easy to work with? how about savage?

ssj2 04-15-2006 09:15 PM

I have the Mammoth ST, and no real problems with workin wise on it. There are a lot of custom hop-up parts for the Mammoth MT and ST, I would take a close look at BAMF's reply and check out the links he gave you. You should be pretty happy with the Mammoth, when it has the neccessary hop-ups and MORE.

BAMF90 04-15-2006 09:32 PM

is the mammoth easy to work with? how about savage?
The Mammoth is very easy to work on. But the Savage is not the best to work on. But if you get a Savage you really won't have to work on it that much because parts will break once in a million.

mosavage 04-15-2006 11:38 PM

Id get a savage IMO

RenegadeRevo 04-16-2006 02:14 AM

If you're talking about the discontinued Mammoth MT... then, there's no question... my guess is you're talking about the ST... it's a great truck, but for just bashing, I don't believe it would be as strong as a Savage.

Chronic 04-16-2006 06:42 AM

The Mammoth MT is discontinued? A guy brought one into the LHS to get some parts for it. He said he had been able to run it three times since he had owned it. It broke every time he fired it up. It could have been user error, but he does pretty good with the LST2 that he bought to replace it. I wasn't impressed with the looks of it at all. I have heard in several places that the ST is a good truck though.

STI 04-16-2006 09:03 AM

ok.. i guess i will try to find the Savage limited Edition. any advice on this one? thank you people for your help.. :)

alvinl 04-16-2006 09:31 AM

I've had very good luck with the LE. Before firing it up, I would recommend you check your gear mesh and loctite every screw that goes into metal. I know, normal stuff. You will also want to get a 6v hump pack and a charge jack from the start. This will save you from having to open the receiver box to charge batteries. The S-25 motor is also a fairly strong motor with good torque, but I thought it lacked a little on the top end. But it was easy to break in and tune. It also lasted good. I only replaced it for a bigger motor.

The LE also comes with the dual chamber pipe. It's a great pipe but a little loud. Sounds really good though. Just don't plan on having a conversation while it's running next to you.

The other thing I like about the LE are the tires. It comes with the Dirtbonz tires. The stock foams may be a little soft, but work good for me. These tires grip good on most all surfaces and wear really good.

ssj2 04-16-2006 11:03 AM

What are you guys talking about, discontinued? Look at the link below its for buying a Mammoth MT.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145615.asp

I really think that the MT isn't that bad, and I have the ST and I like it. Check out My Gallery for pics!

STI 04-16-2006 11:32 AM

hello.. i just got some good news. both Savage X and Savage Limited Edition is available. which should i get? any feed back on the X yet? any weak points any one can tell?

SavXMan 04-16-2006 09:37 PM

I'm almost through my 2nd gallon with my Savage X and have been through 2 spur gears, 1 bent shock, and 2 stripped rear diffs. This is my first RC anything so no , I don't know what I'm doing, but even with my lack of knowlege its pretty easy to fix and puts up with things I never thought it could take.

dracy69 04-16-2006 10:06 PM

got my savage x a month ago (march 18th) and have beating the hell out of it with no major problems. Savx what did you do to do all of that? im on my 4th gallon with this truck already and have broken 2 spurs and a suspension arm. this truck is very easy to work on. i was impressed wih the revisions HPI made.

RenegadeRevo 04-17-2006 01:45 AM

Perhaps I was wrong... I thought they had discontinued the Mammoth MT... as well they should... the ST runs circles around it... literally. (have you ever tried to TURN a Mammoth MT? Wow... that's fun :eek:) BUT... my thought still stand... the Savage would be a tougher truck, IMO.

STI 04-17-2006 06:35 AM

okay.. savage X it is.. thank you all for your help.. :D