RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Botteming out after jumps.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/4231871-botteming-out-after-jumps.html)

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 11:27 AM

Botteming out after jumps..

Hey all,

Im new to this 4wd bashing and the guestion may be a bit stupid but should I be worried aboout my truck botteming out hard coming off of jumps and such.Should my suspention absorb all the impact.It just hits so hard Im kinda afraide Im going to break something.

Shark

tadracket 05-02-2006 11:29 AM

RE: Botteming out after jumps..

Run a stiffer spring and thicker oil. That will help. Tell us about your car.

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 12:53 PM

Thanks,
You want to know about my Evader? Or my RX8 or my Revo...Im confused.I like to talk about all of them so just pick 1.:)

Shark

ORIGINAL: tadracket

Run a stiffer spring and thicker oil. That will help. Tell us about your car.

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 12:58 PM

Oh, I almost forgot.I did order some Gold,Tan,and Orange springs last night but didnt get any oil.I was reading yesterday about springs since I know nothing about setting up my suspension and want to try and learn this stuff.Here is a link that someone else posted that is helping me.

[link=http://www.traxxas.com/support/index.php?action=artikel&cat=143&id=482&artlang=en]Link[/link]

Shark

bauerbach 05-02-2006 01:18 PM

if its a big jump and your not landing on down ramp, it probably will bottom out.

I know my rails of hit the dirt a few times when I come up short on a huge double and land on the 2nd face instead of trailing edge. but its not that big a deal. hasnt hurt anything, just slows you down and gets things a little dirty.

tadracket 05-02-2006 01:49 PM

I was thinking you could tell us about the truck that is bottoming out, but if you want to talk about them all, that's fine too. :D

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 03:36 PM

Ill just stick to the truck for now as not to bore you too much.:D
What Im mostly worried about is when I come off a 3' jump and land on the flat ground about 8' past the ramp.Most of the time I land on all 4 and it smacks the ground hard.
I think I may just be worried about nothing.I guess it must be made to take jumps like that.When my new springs come in I will go with the gold and tan I think it is.It seems to be a good standard setup.
Im new to bashing,Most of the time I baby my cars like most everything else I have.Im just like that I guess and its hard for me to just say screw it and punch it and hope for the best.I guess I dont really know what these trucks are capable of.

Shark

ORIGINAL: tadracket

I was thinking you could tell us about the truck that is bottoming out, but if you want to talk about them all, that's fine too. :D

Bria1 05-02-2006 04:21 PM

I think what he was asking is what kind of truck are you talking about that is bottoming out. Is it the Revo?

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 04:44 PM

Oh,my bad.
I thought I said that in my first post and now I see I didnt.
It is a Revo 3.3 pretty much stock.All I did so far is remove the Opti and installed a fail safe.I have alot of stuff on order that should be here this week.

That brings me to another thing.Its a great feeling when you get your box of stuff,Its like its your birthday about every month.I know this has been mentioned before but its very true.

Shark

ORIGINAL: Bria1

I think what he was asking is what kind of truck are you talking about that is bottoming out. Is it the Revo?

bauerbach 05-02-2006 05:24 PM

well you could raise the ride height. its gonna take away some suspension travel as far as articulation and handling goes, but it should eliminate the bottoming out.

and a thicker shock oil will actually stop the bottoming out more than springs. springs control ride height, but generally speaking when your talking about absorbing impact, its the piston being force through the oil that is actually providing most of the resistance. the spring is just there to say how fast the truck will return to equilibrium.

unfortunatly with thicker oil, lets say your driving across the grass, or worse, a gravel or rock area. the suspension will be less likely to absorb the impact, and pass more of the impact through to the chassis; end up bouncing around instead of the suspension absorbing the bumps.

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 05:39 PM

Thanks for the reply..

Heres the thing,Most of my driving is on the grass and the place were we run is a open lot with a dirt mound jump.So maybe Ill just change the springs and the ride height and leave the stock oil in and see how it is.

Shark

ORIGINAL: bauerbach

well you could raise the ride height. its gonna take away some suspension travel as far as articulation and handling goes, but it should eliminate the bottoming out.

and a thicker shock oil will actually stop the bottoming out more than springs. springs control ride height, but generally speaking when your talking about absorbing impact, its the piston being force through the oil that is actually providing most of the resistance. the spring is just there to say how fast the truck will return to equilibrium.

unfortunatly with thicker oil, lets say your driving across the grass, or worse, a gravel or rock area. the suspension will be less likely to absorb the impact, and pass more of the impact through to the chassis; end up bouncing around instead of the suspension absorbing the bumps.

bauerbach 05-02-2006 06:26 PM

I believe there are also "long throw" suspension thingamabobs, whatever their called on the revo, the things that pivot between the springs and the suspension rods. their longer so you can get more range of motion from the suspension.

guy at the track was running them thinking they were helping his handling, he switched back and shaved atleast 5 seconds off his lap times instantly. but Id imagine for bashing that extra travel might let you raise the ride hieght even more and could help you out.

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 07:50 PM

Ya theres something in that link about that.I think Im going to wait till I get all my stuff in before I fine turn the suspension like that.Im going to look into it tho.Im getting new RPM A-arms and axle carriers so after that I will see how she works.

Shark

86atrack4 05-02-2006 08:59 PM

also u might want to add a 1/4 inch piece of fuel tubing to each shock shaft , this will work as a stopper and prevent bottoming out.

SharkDiver 05-02-2006 10:50 PM

Should I take the stock tube thing they have in there now off?

ORIGINAL: 86atrack4

also u might want to add a 1/4 inch piece of fuel tubing to each shock shaft , this will work as a stopper and prevent bottoming out.