RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   First truck for the wife??? Help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/4235650-first-truck-wife-help.html)

aerialimage 05-03-2006 09:11 AM

First truck for the wife??? Help

The wife just tried my TMAXX 3.3 last week end and she was pretty good with it!
Her Birthday is later this month and I am considering a truck for her?
I am thinking electric may be the most fun for her as she is super thrifty. when she figures out what Nitro fuel costs she would not use a nitro that often ( I think)!
DO the electric monster trucks or stadium trucks perform well? Good run times and top speeds?
Or maybe I should just get her an economy basher like my EVADER Nitro? It uses little fuel! I would like a Traxxas Product as my Duratrax EVADER and WArhead are always busted! Then Again I have lots of spares for the EVADER, That pull start would not due well with her though!
Any thoughts?
something that travels with out drills to start.
something that she could run as much as she feels like ( ok on fuel if nitro)
Thanks to all!

redfox03 05-03-2006 11:47 AM

RE: First truck for the wife??? Help

hmmm, maybe an electric rustler. my friends little bro has one. pretty nice truck. or an E-maxx.

MacPatton 05-03-2006 02:06 PM

Many times electric are faster and have more torque! E-Maxx is about same size as T Maxx and fast but when battery is dead you arent running again til its recharged. Extra battery helps in that regard. Also Tamiya makes a pink buggie for her.:D

dracy69 05-03-2006 02:27 PM

i have an e-zilla and with GP 3700's, it can beat my savage in a dragrace. usually because its more of a controlled launch, the e-zilla you just pull the throttle all the way and it goes. the savage ends up on its lid if you do that. it gets dragged down on top end though. electric run times are very frustrating for me being a nitro guy. it takes like an hour or 2 to charge these battereies to get 10 minutes of run time before the packs dump. the stock battereis die in like 5 mins. you may want to invest in a good dual charger like the mrc 977 i think it is? and some good batteries (like 4-6 of them) if not you ccan always just get her another t-maxx or a revo or something....if you wanna stick with traxxas

bauerbach 05-03-2006 03:24 PM

hour or 2!!!

maybe those are some other battery type, I charge my subCs at 5amps, and they peak in about 10-15minutes.

still; thats only maybe 5-6min of run time, and they're performance is dwindling from the minute you turn it on. thats what I hated about them. an old 1/10th scale losi buggy can beat my LST2 in a drag(not top end, but its a hundred feet or more before it passes it). but after a minute, the buggy is left in the dust.

batterys just made everything a hassle to me... I love tossing plugs on the exhaust and carb and hosing the truck down. wouldnt give that up for anything. meanwhile battery packs are expensive, and they dont last forever.

however first, Id make sure your wife really wants one and isnt just saying she liked it more to be interested in your hobbies than her wanting one of her own. I mean, everyone likes playing with an RC car. its someone else that wants to own one and play with it all the time.

Timmahh 05-03-2006 06:10 PM

things to think about with a frugal wife, batts are 30.00 each for a quality battery, emaxx needs 2. you get about 10minutes of fun, and 15minutes of ok run, due to battery dranage....so you ll want 3 or even 4 sets of batterys so she can "RUN" for about 1.5 hrs.. so.. now yoru at around 60.00 a set X 4 sets so 240.00. now your could run with one or two sets, but as stated her FUN will get low with the battery power, SO>>>>>> to me thats a notch for nitro.... even at 25.00/gallon...now the electrics are great, but there are Drawbacks when comparing them.. also needed with batts is a good charger that will do a pair at a time, add another 100.00 to the mix for a charger.... you can see where this is going......
i say get her a maxx. maybe a 2.5 or a 1.5 and upgrade the motor for her.... there are many possibilities. but be sure to mention the cost of batts/charger, and charge time. its recommended to only charge your batteries once or twice per 24 hrs again another con to the mix...
im not triing to say elecs are worse by any means, but there are drawbacks you ll need to be aware of B4 you spend the cash.....or get yourself a New Revo 3.3, and give the wife the Tmaxx.. another possibility.
hth
Timmahh

lax195 05-03-2006 08:13 PM

My girlfriend is running a Revo 2.5R. Perfect for a beginner. Not too much power (you can always run the engine rich and lower the trim of the steering so you cant go WOT), perfect handling, and VERY durable. And it also comes with the EZ-Start ;)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...5/IMG_0023.jpg

dracy69 05-03-2006 09:01 PM

im charging the GP 3700's with the stock charger (because it can charge 2 packs at a time). they are both beign charged at 4 amps. but for all i know the car battery its hooked up to isnt delivering. but i definetly have fun for those 10 minutes i get out of it. and for the record nitro engines dont last forever either.....i paid like 100 bucks for those 2 batteries and they def made an improvment

ORIGINAL: bauerbach

hour or 2!!!

maybe those are some other battery type, I charge my subCs at 5amps, and they peak in about 10-15minutes.

still; thats only maybe 5-6min of run time, and they're performance is dwindling from the minute you turn it on. thats what I hated about them. an old 1/10th scale losi buggy can beat my LST2 in a drag(not top end, but its a hundred feet or more before it passes it). but after a minute, the buggy is left in the dust.

batterys just made everything a hassle to me... I love tossing plugs on the exhaust and carb and hosing the truck down. wouldnt give that up for anything. meanwhile battery packs are expensive, and they dont last forever.

however first, Id make sure your wife really wants one and isnt just saying she liked it more to be interested in your hobbies than her wanting one of her own. I mean, everyone likes playing with an RC car. its someone else that wants to own one and play with it all the time.

bauerbach 05-03-2006 09:27 PM

true, they dont. but when your done with ESCs, batteries, motors, your probably in the same realm of costs. maybe higher operating costs, but certainly lower startup. for equal systems.

guess the key is that you cant really cheap out on an engine... but you could squeeze pennies in an electric setup as far as quality level of all the components.

Rc EnthuSiasTs 05-03-2006 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well try something with one battery. I have a rustler, the best thing i have owned in terms of durability. But if you want to have better handling upgrade to the losi or associated. You can get 2 0r 3 2500 packs for about 35 bucks. They charge in like 15-20 mins, and you would not have to wait for a charge if you had three batts. Stadium trucks are just as fun as MT's. Imo

bauerbach 05-03-2006 10:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Rc EnthuSiasTs

Well try something with one battery. I have a rustler, the best thing i have owned in terms of durability. But if you want to have better handling upgrade to the losi or associated. You can get 2 0r 3 2500 packs for about 35 bucks. They charge in like 15-20 mins, and you would not have to wait for a charge if you had three batts. Stadium trucks are just as fun as MT's. Imo
lol dont lie. I have an xxt-cr graphite plus. brian kinwald could have raced with it 7 years ago and won. it is decked out.

I would crack it in half if that was the only way I could have my LST2 even in stock form. its just SOOO much more fun. being that it can go anywhere and do absolutely anything.

stadium truck was more or less crippled in even short grass.

jumping a curb or taking a 5' jump? hah!

aerialimage 05-04-2006 11:21 AM

I think she will have fun with any of them at first , Just trying to think of the most fun long term for her! Of coarse if she loses intrest, no real harm cause The kids and I can always bash it! ;)
I need to be sure it can start easy almost always as that has been one of my biggest frustrations with my two Duratrax trucks! The Traxxas has been great all around.
I will have to look at all the good suggestions here and try to figure out a good fit! Thanks for all the great ideas!

Timmahh 05-04-2006 12:20 PM

in that case go Nitro, your already in with one, may as well get froggy...get another tmaxx or a revo, that way, your useing alot of the same parts, and its much easier to keep track of when first starting out.
Timmahh.

silverman1 05-04-2006 12:35 PM

Buy her the truck (you always wanted) for her birthday!! Actually Id make real sure thats what she truly wants, or you'll be telling the dog to slide over in the dog house to make room for you!!

I just like nitro better because they have a lot more run time then thier electric brothers, and stadium trucks like everyone else has said worthless in grass thats unmowed, and that includes nitro. How about A tamiya TNX they are electric start, and run about 309.00 shipped from ultimate hobbies. Trust me they are fast and a lot of fun, or the Revo. I own both, I like the TNX better.

I saw some electrics run at a track, and they are super quick, I watched one hunt down a kyosho 777. But you need at least 3 to 4 battery packs a decent charger. Its reccomended you don't run them more then 2 runs in a day (the packs) Im sure there are guys who know more about this then me, you get 10 minute runs.

Nitro's at least a hour of running before battery replacement don't forget the failsafe, just in case.

Good luck

MacPatton 05-04-2006 03:21 PM

Just thought of this! I have a 1/18 scale Team Associated RC18T and love it. Cheap(er) to buy and batteries last longer and are less expensive. Runs 20mph out of the box. My batteries last me 15 to 20 minutes per charge. Not as fun as my Revo 3.3 but still very fun.

aerialimage 05-04-2006 10:40 PM

Thanks I guess it is going to be a nitro! I have 1 Evader st, 1 TMAxx 3.3 1 revo 3.3 and 1 Warhead. I might look at either a revo or T MAxx maybe!
Then agiain the Evader is fun when it is running! And I know them pretty well now! Then again I really like the EZ START with the Traxxas! I may consider the others but it is tempting to allready have many bags of spare parts! Also share the EZ Start batts. Hmm!
Thanks for helping me decide on the Nitros over the Electrics!
I really do want the nice long run times.
Thanks everyone.

Rc EnthuSiasTs 05-06-2006 11:09 AM

Okay, Okay Bauerbach, i see your point LOL. Maybe i was fibbing a little bit, I guess i just have fun driving all my trucks and car. I do admit, jumping 10 ft and having that plus suspension soak it all up, it doesnt not get much better than that:D.

badboy2 05-07-2006 12:26 AM

lax its ok u dont need to tell its ur gf's revo..we know u love pink ;)

Rc EnthuSiasTs 05-07-2006 08:58 AM

Blaming it on the girlfriend. :D

aerialimage 05-11-2006 09:17 PM

Ok guys and gals!
I thought about a nitro evader for a while! But I have had enough with mine!
I ordered the wife A Nice easy to start and fun to bash T Maxx 3.3. it will be here safely before her birthday! I should have waited a little longer so I would not have to hide it for as long! Anyway that should take care of her! Now just need to get a little care package for her ( Traxxas 20% and a 7.2 volt battery) everything else she can use my stuff!
She is getting a red one!
That way I can run my Revo 3.3 or my T Maxx 3.3 with her! the war head and Evader are dead! and I also landed wheels up on my Tmaxx the other day and busted my motor mount, spur gear, flywheel. oh well even the best of my fleet can suffer at the hands of A bad driver ( ME ).
Thanks for all the help! [8D]

Roscco 05-12-2006 12:44 PM

Nice choice, i'm sure your gonna have a smiling wife come B/day.

Have fun:)