RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Keep stripping spur gears? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/4248369-keep-stripping-spur-gears.html)

erawtik 05-06-2006 09:22 PM

Keep stripping spur gears?

Got the new motor back from duratrax for my Warhead and was on tank 2 when the spur stripped. Wasnt going but mabey 1/4 throttle this is now like the 6th spur iv went through so my ? is what all causes the spur to go out?

bauerbach 05-06-2006 09:45 PM

RE: Keep stripping spur gears?

gear mesh has got to be WAY off. no possible explanation. loosen whatever adjusts it(motor mount on mine, but I donno on the warhead) and set it so you can run a sheet of paper through the gears. should be as close as it can be without being tight. tiny bit of movement between the gears.

erawtik 05-06-2006 10:02 PM

i was looking and when i spin the gear it looks to spin a hair abnormal. Like if you have a warped rim it has that little wobble. So im guessing the shaft the spur is on is a hair bent. Could this be causing it?

t-maxx123 05-06-2006 10:43 PM

mine has the wierd bend to, i was stripping gears like crazy too, but today i tightened the slipper up as much as i could and then turned it out 1.4th or 1/2 a turn and its no happening any more.

bauerbach 05-06-2006 11:00 PM

if its not spinning straight, then your gear mesh will go in and out. and yeah, would be a problem.

guess try the slipper see if that helps you too.

Timmahh 05-06-2006 11:22 PM

replace your plastic spur gear with an appropriate metal spurgear.. install and set up. i use feel and sound to set up my spur/cb mesh.... i get the engine bolts just snug ( as moveing the enigine is how you adjust mesh on a TMaxx )i make sure i can roll the spur back and forth WITHOUT feeling any bump from the teeth bouncing off eachother as i change directions. when set. i spin the spur and listen to it mesh with the cb. you can hear if its smooth and free moving, or if it out of mesh a bit and binding up.. set so it rolls smooth and freely, without binding, and doesnt feel clicky when you move your spur back and forth.
Timmahh

erawtik 05-07-2006 05:02 PM

other thing i noticed was that the slipper plates where hot very hot when i touched them which makes no sense cause they are not in contact with the motor. And the metals are not out yet that i know of.

snowbl!nd 05-07-2006 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: erawtik

other thing i noticed was that the slipper plates where hot very hot when i touched them which makes no sense cause they are not in contact with the motor. And the metals are not out yet that i know of.
Friction heats them up - the more it slips, the hotter it gets.

erawtik 05-07-2006 05:27 PM

ok most spurs iv done was tighten the loosen about 1/8th this last one i did was about half so if it was to loose cause of it slipping for the plates to heat up i should go tighter.

warheadrunner01 05-07-2006 08:28 PM

Iwas looking and when i spin the gear it looks to spin a hair abnormal. Like if you have a warped rim it has that little wobble. So im guessing the shaft the spur is on is a hair bent. Could this be causing it?

Yes I have the same problem with mine as well, could this be a bent transmission shaft, a overheated spurgear, or is something broke (bearing,etc..)[:@] ? All information on this specific subject appreciated. Thank you all.

86atrack4 05-08-2006 01:03 AM

the spur on mine has a slight wobble to, this isn't the problem,2 weeks ago i recently replaced the 2nd spur on mine,i bought it in jan almost 3 gallons.
its either the gear mesh, or the slipper.

ORIGINAL: warheadrunner01

Iwas looking and when i spin the gear it looks to spin a hair abnormal. Like if you have a warped rim it has that little wobble. So im guessing the shaft the spur is on is a hair bent. Could this be causing it?

Yes I have the same problem with mine as well, could this be a bent transmission shaft, a overheated spurgear, or is something broke (bearing,etc..)[:@] ? All information on this specific subject appreciated. Thank you all.

erawtik 05-08-2006 09:38 PM

i stuck a peice of paper and it went through and came out other end crinkle so thats not the problem

Combatcm 05-10-2006 07:20 PM

I have not seen the warhead in action but it seems that you guys are setting the slipper too loose and the spur is melting from the heated slipper pads cause it to wobble.

A slipper DOES NOT matter on a full time 4wd truck because the front tranny and rear tranny are linked together. The only reason it should be anything other than full tight is for launch control. And it's easy enough to be easy on the throttle.

Crank it down and leave it.

mrmike4given 06-11-2006 01:01 PM

i've found out exactly why the warhead strips the spur gears. this is the reason; if it revs too high, the clutch shoes are engaging the clutchbell, which is getting heated up and in turn melting the plastic spur gear. solution; first of all i've had this warhead for about a month. i have run it a few times and each time it has been no more than a few mins. what i did is this. i ordered a hardened clutchbell, an upgraded set of clutch shoes and springs, which you'll need a new flywheel to match the shoes, a 3 shoe setup, the new clutchbell requires bearing instead of bushings, a plus. and i ordered a new set of slipper pads. now all i'm waiting on is the hardened spurgear to come out, DTXC4506. after installing all these upgraded parts i think this should fix the problem with the spurgear. once i do get the spurgear and install it all i can just imagine that i'll run into other problems, but hopefully they won't be with the spurgear!!!!! tower hobbies has all the stuff, but the spurgear is on backorder, well good luck with this issue. Mike