RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   melted pipe in my volcano (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/5943570-melted-pipe-my-volcano.html)

gatucar 06-04-2007 01:34 PM

melted pipe in my volcano

Hey guys,
I just got my stock exhaust pipe melted and I am wondering if that happened because they are just cheap plastic or because I was running too lean:eek:?
Thanks for your help!!!

IL2mSturmovik 06-04-2007 01:52 PM

RE: melted pipe in my volcano

ORIGINAL: gatucar

Hey guys,
I just got my stock exhaust pipe melted and I am wondering if that happened because they are just cheap plastic or because I was running too lean:eek:?
Thanks for your help!!!

My guess

DirtBonez 06-04-2007 04:51 PM

Lol a plastic exhaust system? :p You may want to richen your HSN and upgrade to something aluminum. I guess you were running too hot but I would think that a plastic pipe would melt anyways.

p8ntball 06-04-2007 05:36 PM

plastic pipes wont melt too easily... they wouldnt put them on the car. Do you have a temp gauge??? if not GET ONE trust me, they are worth the $20. if your pipe melted, your temp must be SUPER high... get the temp guage.

DirtBonez 06-04-2007 06:23 PM

ya I guess you are right, if they have it on there it must work. But still a plastic exhaust? thats weak. The header must be aluminum though right?

webdr 06-04-2007 08:39 PM

I have two redcats and I never had the pipe melt or deform.
Maybe you got a bad one? LOL ...What was the temp during this meltdown?

gatucar 06-05-2007 01:42 PM

Thanks for your hap guys! I will get the temp gun! A guess the car was running way to hot because the "spit test" was close to a second. However I tried to richen up the nitro mix but my car stopped working after the pipe melted ( I ordered a new one but mean time I repaired the one that I have with a piece of metallic pipe). The symptoms were these:
Truck stopped working. I pulled the start cord several times and suddenly the starting cord got stacked (the starting cord was perfect since when I toke It out from the engine it worked OK). The flywheel did not move either. So I removed the cooling tower and remove the piston sleeve. Then I rinsed the chamber with a bit of nitro (a small piece of dirt got out) and the flywheel started to move again so I put all parts together again. Now It happens the following:

1) I can get the engine running but for a few seconds each time (2-4 second and it stalls).
2) the engine seems unresponsive to throttle since when I pull the throttle I can see the carburetor does not rev up and stalls.
3) Even thought the engine starts when I am able to rev it up a little bit the car does not move at all.:(

These make me think a little in a clutch problem? Can it be that I set it back too tight and it is not moving properly? can the engine be damaged? Please give me some feed back. I have try to get some information with no luck so far[:o].
Thank you!
Gatucar

p8ntball 06-05-2007 02:38 PM

possibly a stripped spur gear... have you tried to set your carb to factory settings... it should work.

gatucar 06-05-2007 05:12 PM

Yes, I already tried the factory settings for carb! I will try again today.
Thanks

Alteramod 06-06-2007 02:51 AM

Hey man I will make this mistake sometimes to (not saying its your problem but a good chance). Before you throw your tune all out of whack change the glow plug. If it was running that hot there is a reallllll good chance thats the problem. It sucks when you get an awesome tune then it quits running and you play with the needles for an hour..... then bam! You think to your self, I should try another plug. Then another bam (only its the engine running) then you spend 2 hours trying to get that awesome tune again haha :):)

gatucar 06-06-2007 09:42 AM

Thanks for your help Alteramod!
You may be right it could be a new spark plug. Even thought it has a new one installed (with which I've run no more than 4 fuel tanks) I will try this.
Do you know what is the average life for a spark plug? It is maybe that short and I do not know:D
Thanks again

drummerboy68028 06-06-2007 03:03 PM

well, just depends on how well your tune is. Some people go through them like tissue paper, and then others, they go maybe a gallon or two. I had a great tune on my revo and didn't have to change my glow plug untill 1 and half gallons of 20 % was ran throught it.

In all honesty, i dont think its the glow plug. Did you clutch show signs of slipping before this. Maybe you spring holding the clutch shoes together broke. Those redcat motors aren't that too tough to take apart. I would just check to be sure.

gatucar 06-06-2007 03:33 PM

Drummerboy,
Thank you fro your response.
I already checked the clutch and the clutch spring and they are OK.
How is your Revo 3.3 working? I am seriously thinking in an upgrade like that. Is is fast and reliable? are the gears made of steel? do they wear out often?
Thanks

drummerboy68028 06-06-2007 03:38 PM

i have broke stripped 2 spurs... and lol no not metal, but theres an upgraded steel spur.

1st spur= sis ran into curb, truck flipped and hit engine first pushing it away from the spur and making it not mesh correctly, and
2nd spure= i didn't know how to mesh the gears correctly then.

Very reliable, very fun, and very fast all of the above, er, to the left lol

Awesome upgrade. BIG step up from redcat lol

gatucar 06-06-2007 03:54 PM

I checked the video that you posted. It is great! Was that a Revo 3.3 ?
I saw your profile and it said that you are a "market authorized" Do you sell this truck? If so how much?
Do you recommend me any other RELIABLE brand and model of trucks or buggies. I would like to get something below 400 dollars (but something decent!!!) able to give at least 45 MPH, 4x4, with good gears and engine.
Thanks again

drummerboy68028 06-06-2007 04:03 PM

As far as the market authorization, i didn't even know i was authorized lol. And that wasn't my video, it was freez's, but i liked it also. As fat as selling my revo.... No can do. I finally got a truck that i can run a tank of gas through without breaking a part lol.

And for finding a truck with 4wd, under 400$, and capable of going 45mph, i draw a blank

However, my revo was 500 (plus the charger, easy start battery and some other micellaneous things) it was 600$ altogether. But i hear the t-maxx is good, LST, LST2, savage, aftershock, monster GT and a couple others i can't think of right now are great trucks.

EDIT: just adding more trucks i think of

gatucar 06-10-2007 10:36 PM

Thank you drammerboy! I will remember those car brands.

IL2mSturmovik 06-11-2007 08:47 AM

Get an Aftershock, $320 on Killer Hobbies