RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   diff setup question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/6920325-diff-setup-question.html)

neupane00 01-16-2008 11:17 PM

diff setup question

i understand the concept behind diffs.. but can anyone help me with diff setups please? when we put lower weight vs higher weight diff fluid in diffs? what are we trying to achieve? if we put in highter weight diff fluid, it probably makes diff slippage less?? can u please explain.. also please tell me what we are trying to achieve with real time driving examples.. on what condition what helps and why/ how? i am also trying to learn reasons behind it. anyone knows this? thanks a lot.

SaVaGe MaN SS 01-16-2008 11:57 PM

RE: diff setup question

more viscuss action so there will be less rotation in the diff from the heaver weight of the oil, so one wheel wont spin by it self. its a lil hard to explain

neupane00 01-17-2008 12:10 AM

okay, so in what condition would you want that? when u take ur rc out and drive, can u help me visualize why and in what condition that would help? vs in what condition lighter weight oil would help??

SaVaGe MaN SS 01-17-2008 12:18 AM

ok well if you were to race you would want to have all 4 tires planted to the track with all power thats heavy oil, it you have weak oil in there when you go to make a turn you outer wheel will ballon and make the outer rear to lose traction and spin, it wont ballon if it were to have heavy oil and all tires will have equal power.

Elite_Tux487 01-17-2008 01:21 AM

With the lightest diff fluid Power will be mostly delivered to the wheel with least resistance and that tire will slip. Applying heavier diff fluid will counteract this and will allow power to be delivered to both wheels much more equally. Think of it as light weigh fluid is a vehicle with an open differential in a 1:1 vehicle that will do one wheel peels and heavy fluid is a 1:1 vehicle with a locker that will roast both tires.

neupane00 01-17-2008 11:21 AM

Okay. thanks very much. Okay so question.. i mostly do bashing now.. trying to climb small hills and such.. and occasionally parking lot races.
Recently i had to re-do rear diff and i put in 10K diff fluid there. And front is stock greased diff.
Is it good? Which is heavier? stock grease or 10K diff fluid. What do you recommend i should do for my activities mentioned above, should i leave as is (front -stock greased, rear -10K diff fluid).. or should i do something different?

fellers 01-17-2008 03:06 PM

great minds think alike neupane,:D, i was coming here to ask the same question for my revo.