RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Baking Tires? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/6922496-baking-tires.html)

hilifemt 01-17-2008 01:41 PM

Baking Tires?

I need to unglue my tires from the rims. I just read about how to boil them, but my other half doesn't want me putting my nasty ol' tires in a pot of ours. LOL

I thought I remember reading that you can bake them too.(can't find anything about it though) Im leaning towards that if it works and I can just put them on foil. Those of you that have tried or know this method, could you let me know. if it works? what temp? and for how long to bake? Thanks!

Suprachrgd82 01-17-2008 01:54 PM

RE: Baking Tires?

If you use the search fetaure, you will find several people boil them. Try it out, and you'll find the pros and cons, and at what temperature.

snowbl!nd 01-17-2008 01:58 PM

I've baked them and it worked pretty well. I used a mircowave oven - preheated to 250 degrees C, turned it off and popped the tires in for 15-20 mins. Then i just cracked the tyres off the rim once they were cool enough to handle. If the CA doesn't crystallise immediately you may need to repeat the process more than once.

Suprisingly it didn't stink the house out as i expected it to, athough i did wash and dry the tyres thoroughly beforehand.

hilifemt 01-17-2008 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: snowbl!nd

I've baked them and it worked pretty well. I used a mircowave oven - preheated to 250 degrees C, turned it off and popped the tires in for 15-20 mins. Then i just cracked the tyres off the rim once they were cool enough to handle. If the CA doesn't crystallise immediately you may need to repeat the process more than once.

Suprisingly it didn't stink the house out as i expected it to, athough i did wash and dry the tyres thoroughly beforehand.
Thanks snow, Im glad to hear it didnt stink up the house too, cuz I did wonder about that. Im gonna try the bake method cuz I know you always give good advice :) thanks

do you or anyone, know the conversion of 250 celsius to fahrenheit?

Nick2618 01-17-2008 02:16 PM

i baked at 330 f range and it did stink up the house a lilttle. But no precleaning like suggested. ALso i tried to make some tamiya lunchox tires and that did not work. The rims turned really soft and warped and the glue did not even release at all. [:@]

binaryterror 01-17-2008 02:41 PM

I prefer boiling. Go to Wal*Mart buy a giant cheap stew pot for $20 and you are set for boiling both for removing tires but also dying plastic parts.

zjwhitrock 01-17-2008 02:51 PM

wouldnt it be cheaper/smarter just to buy a new set of rims??

hilifemt 01-17-2008 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

I prefer boiling. Go to Wal*Mart buy a giant cheap stew pot for $20 and you are set for boiling both for removing tires but also dying plastic parts.
That's prolly the better idea...seems like a more popular method.....for a good reason Im sure.

I got to thinking, and the temps for baking given in the above posts seem a little high. my thinking was water boils at 212 F. and those temps are quite above that. so I might just bake them at 230F for 15-20 minutes and see how it works. If I do, I'll let ya know how it went.

thanks for the replies guys

hilifemt 01-17-2008 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: zjwhitrock

wouldnt it be cheaper/smarter just to buy a new set of rims??

The rims are on the way. But I need the rubber off the old rims

hilifemt 01-17-2008 03:24 PM

[b]We're gonna have a fiest tonight! Tires are in the oven![/b]

LOL I put them in @ 250F. we'll see how this goes in 15 minutes :)

hilifemt 01-17-2008 04:08 PM

Tires are done! I put them in at 250F for 20 minutes total. There was a little rubbery smell, not too bad but I did open a couple windows. anyway, the tires came off nice. I had one spot that didn't come off real easy but with help from my exacto knife, it all worked out. Nothing was melted or warped. so, just wanted to let ya know ;)