RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Rookie to monster trucks looking for a basher (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/6977320-rookie-monster-trucks-looking-basher.html)

absoluttorque 01-27-2008 10:22 AM

Rookie to monster trucks looking for a basher

I'm not so much a rookie to R/C as I have grown up with them for most of my life. I've had a lot of electrics and currently have a 18T, T4, B44 and that new waterproof e-maxx (Christmas Present). I race the T4 and B44 pretty regularly and play around with the 18T in my basement for practice. The E-Maxx is fun but I don't have the money to buy as many batteries as I need to go out and bash in the woods all day and it does suck down the juice, 2 batteries at a time for 15 minutes. I'm thinking going to Nitro for a weekend/weeknight basher is the best fit for that use and the vehicle would be easily cheaper than buying all those batteries and I might even race it once in awhile.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting a monster truck or truggy for bashing purposes. I've had Nitro vehicles when I was younger (the first savage, and an RC10GT) but the GT I gave up on tuning and the savage I got a little over zealous with tuning and ran it too lean to quick and smoked the motor, and then gave up on nitro again. I'm a little older with more patience so hopefully if I take my time this time will be different.

The trucks I'm thinking of in order of preference after doing research are the LST2, Losi Muggy, Revo 3.3 or Savage. Also, after reading I'm also looking ant the MGT 8.0. It seems the Losi LST2 is the best right out of the box and has a lot of future upgrades like the other options but the kit quality seems great and doesn't need much if anything to make it a great basher (it's pricey, but it's huge and looks awesome!). I'm not all about speed although it's fun, I'll mainly be taking it to the park, jumping dirt mounds, stumps, etc. in the woods. I am sorry for the long post but any insight you could provide is appreciated.

I will also be selling a barely used (5 runs) E-maxx too if anyone is interested (it pulls wheelies no problem, hehe), I just don't have the batteries for it.

HpiDrifter420 01-27-2008 12:09 PM

RE: Rookie to monster trucks looking for a basher

the lst2 would be my top choice. one thing about the mgt 8.0 is it takes alot of nitro for that .50 engine and you get short run times. the lst2 goes just as fast with a .26 engine.

KILL--ROY 01-27-2008 01:18 PM

Check out the Savage X 4.6 [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cofZCw0scIY[/link]

That truck is bone stock:D

jessemxt 01-27-2008 02:07 PM

I think that video shows how unstable that savage is it cant do high speed turns very well, it looks like to me. I would say the truggy like the eight t rtr. They are very tuff very stable and handle well at high speed.

beer=food 01-27-2008 04:22 PM

Ok try a REVO, they are better handling trucks than ANY other MT. Period.
May not be the fastest, but they will beat up savages for speed and control, l havent owned a lst2, l would say the lst2 would be faster top end, but l recon the revo's would keep up on bottom, but l would get a REVO over one based on the scale, revo is 1/10th, lst2 is 1/8, now 1/8th MT's break before the revo's do, they carry to much mass.Jumps the revo outright pwns. Easiest to start is definately the REVO.

Then again, you may want a truggy, just for ease of use, theres nothing to em, but there strong.Not as much fun, and not as good in the real rough stuff, people will disagree as they have before, but lve owned em for over a decade, l bash with my revo, for the sake of less busted parts, especially on huge jumps, like at concrete skate bowls.
If you want to race real cars get a truggy !
If you want to bash get a MT.
If you want to get pissed today, then your like me !
If you already need a piss, LOL like me, you probly had to many the night before !

nitro.rc.racer 01-27-2008 04:30 PM

revo is not a good basher id say savage x 4.6 rtr great basher and it has great durability savage is way more durable than the revo and bigger id also add getting the Associated MGT 8.0 or 4.60

nitro.rc.racer 01-27-2008 04:35 PM

But we also have are own opinions ill list prices below

Associated MGT 8.0= $500-$514 Associated MGT 4.60= $300 HPI Savage x 4.6 RTR=$430 Traxxas Revo 3.3=$480-$500

beer=food 01-27-2008 05:07 PM

The revo is a good basher, lve destroyed my savage in the same time my revo, which drives in same places is still running fine, never broken an arm yet, so yet again, buddy, what l was saying above, its like my butthole, erm , and yours , u get ? Yea we all have one and there all a bit different.opinions opinions, are you saying that of all the trucks/truggies whatever mentioned on this page, there is one not up to scratch ? ie the revo ? Are you even serious ? Just how many championships has the savage won, theres big jumps on MT race tracks you realise, meh stuff this...

nitro.rc.racer 01-27-2008 05:23 PM

the only reason the revo wins is because thy take all the stock stuff out and convert in to a 1/10 truggy thats not really fair and i know for a fact the savage is stronger than a revo and im not saying the savage is better than evry thing id rather have a lot of stuff over (Hobao hyper ST) the savage not the revo though because trxxas makes there stuff of poor quality and the only way to make it decent is to buy $200= worth of hop ups to make a triple and so SHOVE IT MR.(beer=food) i think the revo is better than any other truck out there

jbb 01-27-2008 06:33 PM

lst2 savage x

absoluttorque 01-27-2008 06:46 PM

I've been doing a lot of research and it was between the LST2, the Savage or the MGT 8.0. I am pretty sure this will be used just for bashing so how it races really doesn't matter to me personally. Durability and ease of working on the truck are key, I spend enough time working on the vehicles I race, this is just for fun. The Losi and Savage won't have as many parts available where I am so I am leaning more towards the MGT, plus all of my other vehicles (except for the 16.8V E-Maxx I'm trying to get rid of) are associated and I like them all. As far as durable, I think bone stock the Savage and MGT will be the most durable and it seems the MGT will be easier to work on (I had the original Savage and it was a involved process to tear down compared to the open chassis of the MGT. Also, I don't think the MGT will burn that much more fuel than the savage .46 or the Losi 427, I'm sure bigger fuel tanks will be offered as well. Another thing I really like is the all metal gear box of the MGT which seems like it will handle the massive power. I appreciate all of your opinions, keep them coming, I am a rookie to monster trucks so I'm trying to learn as much as I can here.

LosiMadMan 01-27-2008 08:31 PM

Well to me the MGT 8.0 looks like a T-Maxx with a big engine. The guys who said a Revo is the best handling truck yet has never owned a LST2 lol. My pick would be the LST2 I have Driven all of these trucks, but the MGT. The revo is to light and it's Traxxas, in my experience with Traxxas their duribility is crap. The Savage is a great basher, but handles like a tank. That leaves the LST2 the best of the bunch. I have not broke 1 part on mine in over 2 gallons of bashing the hell out of it.

Edit missed this and I jst have to laugh "Easiest to start is definately the REVO".
Do I need to make a video on how the LST2 fires right up.

beer=food 01-27-2008 10:09 PM

Yea go on make a video of how easy it starts, ppfftt, revo is button start, for lazy pissheads like me its just perfect.
Anyways nitro.rc.racer. no need to be all up tight n all , burrrrrrp LOL, l mean defication eventuates at times, yall neeeeeed mor beer, as weell.
The guy was a bit specific with jumps at the end of his, burrrrp, post so l would still say a REVO is a good danm choice, for jumps, when set up properly, stock standard parts out of box, its incredibly strong and lands with great control, as for your video's, you post one opf how easy it is to start, and l'll do the same, then we'll go to a concrete skate bowl shall we, film it and see what breaks first ? My video is done. l wouldnt run my 1/8th MT there, its a death sentence, or the truggy for that matter, just bends ****e, but that revo, its a friggin sponge.
Lets do pissed video's !

richardcatdaddy 01-27-2008 10:19 PM

I got a Nemesis 7.7 as a basher,it does fine for a big monster,15 pounds,fast enough with a 2 speed.It can be a little tough on suspension arms if its cold outside.No alum upgrades yet,but soon.A roto start is a must with this one,like trying to start a weed eater.But hey,I like it and each to his or her own.Right?Yep.

beer=food 01-28-2008 02:37 AM

hahaha, go the weed eater ! And yea each to be owned ,erm, to there own, LOL !

hmott3 01-28-2008 08:35 AM

I've heard great thinks about the mgt, just don't buy into the 8.0 5hp stuff or you'll be unhappy. Also you have an old savage is nothing like having an X. The new X has fixed all the problems the older model had. But I'm pretty sure for the price of the mgt8 you can get the lst2, and if thats the case I think its a mistake not to. The lst2 is pretty much top dog for MT's.

neupane00 01-29-2008 12:03 AM

after 3 months of intense intense research i got my LST2.. I couldnt be any happier. Really really nice truck.. Easy to work on. Fast. Not as gas guzzler as mgt8.0.. Like i said i did sooo much research u cant imagine.. take advantage of what i have already been thru.
lst2 = best basher and great handling.. Havent broken anything yet . I have been running in NJ temp of about 33 degrees now. its just tuesday cant wait till weekend.

beer=food 01-29-2008 01:09 AM

Well done glad ya happy n all digger !

[email protected] 01-29-2008 08:53 AM

The lst2 has my vote, I have the savage, mgt and lst2. I don't take out the savage to much it's just not that fun to me. I have the savage x .21 with a 3spd and it's slow. My mgt has the LRP spec 3 with a lot of other stuff and only just beats my stock lst2. All my trucks break it's what happens when you play:D, I break the mgt the most because I run that one the most. The stuff I break is plastics (bumpers and such) and shafts for the most part. The LST2 has been my better truck but that is because it has so much control in air and on the ground. The engine is great has good power and speed and has the best transmission of all rc trucks I have seen so far. The lst2 is the better overall truck in one package you can buy. I have only done two upgrades on the lst2 1) roll bar 2) new clutch that is it. might get the engine brace I don't know. It does not need much if you are just a basher like me. hope this helps.

Elite_Tux487 01-29-2008 11:27 AM

I think you would be happy with either the lst2 savage or mgt. I personally have an mgt 4.6 and have to say it is the best Rc vehicle that I own. Its one of the few vehicles that I own thats always ready to go no need to fuss with.

Big Green Machine 01-30-2008 10:39 PM

I see a lot of of votes for the LST2, what about all of the other Losi trucks? The Monster baja, the aftershock, the new raminator, are non of them any good? I am particualrily thinking of the Raminator. It seems to come with the best radio and shocks and the have the same retail rpice except my online retailer I deal with has it discounted [link=http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=TMLB0020]44% !![/link].I want to get a monster and I love the looks/specs of the LST2, plus i love my mini LST2 but the price has me a bit concerned and it seems that for nearly half price the Raminator is a pretty good deal...

neupane00 01-31-2008 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Big Green Machine

I see a lot of of votes for the LST2, what about all of the other Losi trucks? The Monster baja, the aftershock, the new raminator, are non of them any good? I am particualrily thinking of the Raminator. It seems to come with the best radio and shocks and the have the same retail rpice except my online retailer I deal with has it discounted [link=http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=TMLB0020]44% !![/link].I want to get a monster and I love the looks/specs of the LST2, plus i love my mini LST2 but the price has me a bit concerned and it seems that for nearly half price the Raminator is a pretty good deal...
BGM, i know how much u like ur mlst2.. Oh man. u will absolutely LOVE if u buy the full size lst2. its just so awesome. (btw, off topic. But horizon hobby sent me new battery for my mslt2, and its altogether new truck)!!

burningpoo 01-31-2008 01:15 AM

If your going to shell out the cash for a LST2 you might want to look into a CEN GST 7.7. In my eyes the LST2 is more for racing, and my cen bashes very well. Just a thought since I didn't see a GST in the mix, unless I over looked it.

I was out of nitro for years and got back into it with a GST, some people say it's hard to work on, but I found it fairly easy once you take it apart once for a good cleaning.

2DMaxLST!! 01-31-2008 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: beer=food

Yea go on make a video of how easy it starts, ppfftt...........
[link=http://lstvideos.com/10232006/LRP_Spec_III_tank7_part1.wmv]Anyone who has been into land based R/C knows that when you loose the blue wire and use a glow sitck the starting is much more consistent, no Traxxas driver uses the Esay start... :D[/link]

Big Green Machine 01-31-2008 02:20 AM

ORIGINAL: neupane00

ORIGINAL: Big Green Machine

BGM, i know how much u like ur mlst2.. Oh man. u will absolutely LOVE if u buy the full size lst2. its just so awesome. (btw, off topic. But horizon hobby sent me new battery for my mslt2, and its altogether new truck)!!

Ya, I know. Its the $700 after tax that makes me cringe. I am I would love it though just like my mini but I am not so sure how commited I am, my last nitro experience wasn't what I had hoped mind you it was only a single speed 1/16 that I could never get started. Plus i keep seeing Savages 4.6s for $350 used on my local classified adds, which is pretty tempting.

Good to hear about your battery, I am glad to hear you are impressed with it.