RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Savage 3.5 RTR or 2WD alternatives. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/7027241-savage-3-5-rtr-2wd-alternatives.html)

pzr 02-05-2008 09:32 AM

Savage 3.5 RTR or 2WD alternatives.

Hi there, apologies if this is a repost, but I couldn't find anything like it by searching.

The first part is deciding if I want another nitro or electric.

If I want a nitro, it can only really be a Savage 3.5 RTR.

The Savage X is too pricey.

So I wondered what you thought of them?

Reliability, durability etc?

I'll be running it on rough fields, I assume it has enough power to cope with this, if I get another nitro and it's not a Savage 3.5 RTR, the alternatives are really only 2WD, which I'm not sure have the clearance to cope with what I'll be using it for.

But anyway, they're the HPI Nitro MT-2 G3.0 RTR, Traxxas Nitro Rustler RTR, Traxxas Jato 3.3 RTR, I assume these won't cope with rough ground and thick grass, and will most likely get overwhelmed and stuck?

If not, how are they with reliability, durability etc.

A 4WD alternative is the Mini MGT 3.0, I haven't got any idea about Associated though, how is it?

My current nitro is a Kyosho Ultima RB GP Sports, which the clutch seized on, and I can't be bothered fixing it since the bolts have sheared, and the clutch is hard to get hold of, I wouldn't want to be in that situation again if I did get a nitro, so reliability is important.

Sorry, another question coming ;)

Since I can't afford the Savage X, would the nitros I can afford be worse than a new E-Maxx anyway, mainly the Savage 3.5 RTR.

As the E-Maxx is what I'll get if I decide to go electric.

Thanks for your help, it'll be much appreciated.

HerrSavage 02-05-2008 10:44 AM

RE: Savage 3.5 RTR or 2WD alternatives.

You're in the UK, so the Thunder Tiger MAT4 S28 should be available for a good price - in the neighborhood of the Savage 3.5.. It's bigger and has a more powerful engine. Parts are generally cheaper than HPI parts too.. The MTA4 has a reputation for being really tough too.. Look into it.. Thunder Tiger just came out with the new bigger S50 model, so I would guess you can find the S28 for a good deal..

In not MTA4, then get the Savage 3.5.. Those other 2wd trucks are too small..

And electric is like watching an action movie on mute... AND if anything, once you've got a couple sets of good bats, etc...., easily more expensive than nitro...

pzr 02-05-2008 10:58 AM

The cheapest I can find the Thunder Tiger for is £340, the Savage X is only £310

Edit: I found it for £290, but it still works out too expensive, especially with a can of nitro etc.

The most I want to spend is about £275 in total.

One of the reasons the E-Maxx is looking attractive is I thought it might be more capable than any nitro in budget, and since I already have an expensive charger and batteries from my airsoft days, that's one expense removed, I'd only need to buy one battery and I'd be ready to run.

An E-Maxx must surely have more torque than a Savage 3.5 due to the nature of electric motors vs a comparatively low powered nitro, as the fields are ploughed and some areas have thick grass etc, so you can see why I would want a lot of torque, which is why I thought an E-Maxx might be the most capable machine if I can't afford the Savage X.

The only thing really turning me off nitro is how unreliable they all seem to be, electric seems to be a lot easier and cheaper to run, I've never had electric fail on me when I absoluteley thrash them and neglect them, nitro failed on me when I was maintaining it and stripping the thing after each dirty run, although a Kyosho might not be the best thing to judge all nitros on.

You're right though, nitro is good fun, but the last thing I want with a new truck is the fun to get interrupted by something failing when it's not even being pushed that hard, then I have to wait for a part, so the reliability is really the most important thing.

BuzzBomber 02-05-2008 01:08 PM

Just a correction: the HPI Nitro MT2 is 4WD. My friend has one, and while it doesn't go through the rough stuff quite as well, he runs it pretty much everywhere I run my MGT withough problems.

pzr 02-05-2008 01:15 PM

So it is, my mistake.

How do you think it'd deal with old English ploughed fields? :)

I want something that can cope with it no problem, as it's literally a few steps out of my backdoor, so I don't want to have to take it anywhere else to run it properly.

It looks like quite a good truck, but I have my doubts if anything less than a good old fashioned MT will cope.

The Savage 3.5 seems to have the size, but I don't know if it'll have the torque of an E-Maxx, and I'm not sure how reliable they are, huge speed isn't really a concern, just torque to get it's self through thick grass and over big ruts, I'm sure any MT will cope, but I'm not that experienced with them, so I want to make 100% sure I buy the right truck for me.

So any input is appreciated, as I'm still a relative noob with the new stuff, even though I've been RC'ing for decades :D

HerrSavage 02-05-2008 02:07 PM

This would be my advice, in order:

1.) Keep looking for the MTA4
2.) Savage 3.5
3.) MT2
100.) E-MAXX (Just kidding... Long-time Savage fan here.. So it's a Ford/Chevy thing with Savage/Traxxas..)

Look around for a Hot Bodies Lightning GT10 too...

BuzzBomber 02-05-2008 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: PatrickBW

This would be my advice, in order:

1.) Keep looking for the MTA4
2.) Savage 3.5
3.) MT2
I'd go along with that, too.

pzr 02-05-2008 02:38 PM

Is the Thunder Tiger that good then?

It's looking like the Savage 3.5 at the moment, unless I can find the Thunder Tiger for £250-260

If I decide to go nitro.

Thanks for your help, any further input is appreciated.

Elite_Tux487 02-05-2008 03:13 PM

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...ManCode=TT6218

pzr 02-05-2008 03:24 PM

Total delivery charge for this product: £80.00
:/

Must be a scam website with delivery costs like that.

Elite_Tux487 02-05-2008 03:42 PM

http://www.birminghammodelcentre.co....TruckKits.html This seems more reasonable..

pzr 02-05-2008 04:06 PM

That works out at £312 including delivery. :(

£250 for the truck and delivery is really the maximum I can go.

That leaves money for a gallon of nitro, I have everything else I need.

Evader ---> MGT 02-05-2008 10:30 PM

Try the MMGT. They seem to be a good price here in the states!

pzr 02-06-2008 11:11 AM

I've decided on the Savage 3.5 RTR.

The reasons are, I just completey stripped down my old nitro, every last bit, and put it all back together again, who knows, the clutch might work again now it's not seized anymore.

And that made me realise, the main reason I was unsure of nitro, wasn't valid at all.

And that was the hassle it is to change parts and maintain it etc, and that's just not true, since I proved to myself I could always do it easily, I guess I just got into a rut when my old nitro kept going wrong and I wasn't in the best mood to fix it.

As I said before, I'm not bothered about the speed etc, and the 3.5 is almost identical to the 4.6, so I've decided to go with the 3.5, it should serve me well.

Thanks for the help :)

Snaut Rocket 02-06-2008 11:15 AM

Best advice i can give you is save up for somthing better like the mta4. If you just settle with your budget your just going to be hurting in the long run. or going to want to upgrade to somthing better.

Jeckler 02-06-2008 12:11 PM

ORIGINAL: pzr

I've decided on the Savage 3.5 RTR.

The reasons are, I just completey stripped down my old nitro, every last bit, and put it all back together again, who knows, the clutch might work again now it's not seized anymore.

And that made me realise, the main reason I was unsure of nitro, wasn't valid at all.

And that was the hassle it is to change parts and maintain it etc, and that's just not true, since I proved to myself I could always do it easily, I guess I just got into a rut when my old nitro kept going wrong and I wasn't in the best mood to fix it.

As I said before, I'm not bothered about the speed etc, and the 3.5 is almost identical to the 4.6, so I've decided to go with the 3.5, it should serve me well.

Thanks for the help :)
Good job on taking the initiative of doing it yourself. The thing is, no matter what you get, electric or fuelie, it's going to need work sooner or later. I've spent about 25 hours over the last few weeks rebuilding two MGT's, a T-Maxx and am working on a Cen Fun Factor right now. I've driven the first 3 a total of 15 minutes. I think I have more fun working on them than driving them. A month or so ago I completely rebuilt my LST2 and I haven't even driven it yet.

Another option... it's the MMGt here, the S18 Hammer over there.

Really long URL