RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   XTM Monster MT First Impressions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/7029961-xtm-monster-mt-first-impressions.html)

domg 02-05-2008 07:27 PM

XTM Monster MT First Impressions

A quick and dirty rundown of all the things I've noticed in the first three weeks of ownership:

What is Junk or a Waste of Time/Money for the MMT?
-Pull start (string breaks constantly without abuse)
-One-way on backplate (exposed bearing, slippage, always have to clean)
-Tires (glued very poorly, wobble at speed)
-Throttle servo (plastic gears, plastic single bearing, prone to moisture)
-Front axles (too weak on CVD end, way too expensive)
-Hardware on brake cams/collars, hub steering link (too small, strip easily)
-Hubs easy to strip when loctite is used (need better solution to hold nuts)
-No glow wrench included with truck

What is well-designed or worth the money for the MMT?
-Accident breakage limited, parts easily replaceable
-Engine is awesome once tuned well
-Brakes perform incredibly well once adjusted properly
-Suspension has tons of travel, performs well
-Very good manuals for truck/engine/radio
-Metal gears throughout driveline
-Large/strong diff cases
-Chassis bracing seems to work well
-Huge fuel tank for long runtime
-Steering servo savers work well to avoid damage
-Steering system overall very strong, not prone to breakage
-Hardware is of good quality, except above

Let me elaborate a bit about the above:
-The pull-start string should be made of better material, as the factory-supplied string gets easily eaten away by oil from the engine and breaks even when not abused.
-This one is a bit redundant since so many engines have the same problem, but the one-way bearing on the back plate connecting the starter to the crank is absolute JUNK. I'm not asking for a mechanical diode or anything here, just a sealed bearing or a different design that is not as prone to lubricant contamination.
-The wobbly tires have been discussed elsewhere on this board, and are just terrible. This is only an issue on smooth surfaces such as pavement, however, although it does inevtiably accelerate wheel bearing wear.
-The throttle servo is a piece of garbage...mine was making strange noises and performance became terrible at the first hint of moisture contamination. I replaced it with a Hitec HS-475HB and have had no more consistency issues with servo travel/speed.
-The front axles seem to be prone to breakage on the CV joint end where the shaft meets the ball end; both I and a friend who have had accidents involving broken suspension arms also suffered a broken axle, though the axle broke a few runs later due to stress cracks caused by the accident. It would be nice to see this area of the axle beefed up for added strength, since the MMT is far larger than this hardware appears to be made for.
Replacement axles are also rediculously expensive!!!!! $43.00 for the whole assembly is assinine, especially since there is no need to purchase the entire assembly when all you need to replace is the axle itself.
-The set screws on the brake cams and brake/throttle linkage are much too small in diameter for their intended application and as such strip very easily. I recommend purchasing extras and NOT using loctite unless absolutely necessary.
-The screws which fasten the steering links to the hubs have a very small head which is also prone to stripping. I replaced these button-head style screws with cap-head style screws of the same diameter and thread with much success - no more stripping.
-Using loctite on the hub threads makes threading the nuts on very difficult after the initial use. The threads should be elongated to make threading the wheel nut on easier, and to allow using an additional nut for security,
-XTM includes a small multi-wrench, but it cannot be used to change the glow plug. Many other brands supply these with their trucks, so why can't XTM?

Most of the "Pros" I listed about the truck are self-explanatory. I should mention that the steering setup on this truck seems to be nearly indestructible! The dual metal-geared servos really work well and make this huge truck very responsive. The brakes are also very effective...stopping the truck within ten feet from top speed (when it's not skidding). I've been able to make the truck roll tail over head when stopping (too) quickly...what does that tell you? The .28 engine is great on this truck, offering loads of power when tuned correctly...and the rear exhaust is definitely a welcome sight.

Any feedback is welcome...

-Dom

KILL--ROY 02-05-2008 08:01 PM

RE: XTM Monster MT First Impressions

All trucks have there drawbacks.

Maybe you can get some kind of roto start system for it.

My savage 4.6 rtr

1. Breaks suck
2. Throttle break servo to weak
3. Stock pipe works fine but looks like crap.

Pretty good truck, I have had one for the past 5 years, starting with the savage .21, and will continue with the forthcoming 5.9:D

Ingen28 02-05-2008 09:39 PM

One on my fridns purchased one last week and from one night of experance with it i didnt like the layout of the steering at all. Just sisnt seem like it worked very well togther.....but maybe we just needed to get used to it?

nitro.rc.racer 02-06-2008 03:23 AM

ORIGINAL: KILL--ROY

My savage 4.6 rtr

1. Breaks suck

Pretty good truck, I have had one for the past 5 years, starting with the savage .21, and will continue with the forthcoming 5.9:D
same with my savage i cant get the brakes to work desently

rclynx 02-06-2008 09:29 AM

Only thing that sucks on an MMT is the wheels..........as for the brakes if you know how to set it up properly you can make it endoe pretty easy...........Lock tight on the nuts for the wheels???????? CVD's to expensive??????? compaired to what HP CVD's on the Market????????? if the throttle gears in the servo are made of plastic what does moisture matter??????????? Pull start cords don't break unless you pull them all the way out on any model. OWB is the same as any SH engine and its set up like almost all HPI, Traxxas, or CEN oops, maybe because Golden Lion makes engines for them...I don't know [&:] If XTM is ever to become a Star again it will be because of the MMT.

KILL--ROY 02-06-2008 10:07 AM

ORIGINAL: nitro.rc.racer

My savage 4.6 rtr

1. Breaks suck

You know when I think about it, I dont use the breaks that often.

If you race then you need them, but bashing something else stops it like a rut or rock.

You just have to plan ahead a little bit.

KILL--ROY 02-06-2008 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: nitro.rc.racer

My savage 4.6 rtr

1. Breaks suck

You know when I think about it, I dont use the breaks that often.

If you race then you need them, but bashing something else stops it like a rut or rock.

You just have to plan ahead a little bit.

KILL--ROY 02-06-2008 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: domg

A quick and dirty rundown of all the things I've noticed in the first three weeks of ownership:

-Large/strong diff cases

-The pull-start string should be made of better material, as the factory-supplied string gets easily eaten away by oil from the engine and breaks even when not abused.
-This one is a bit redundant since so many engines have the same problem, but the one-way bearing on the back plate connecting the starter to the crank is absolute JUNK. I'm not asking for a mechanical diode or anything here, just a sealed bearing or a different design that is not as prone to lubricant contamination.
-The wobbly tires have been discussed elsewhere on this board, and are just terrible. This is only an issue on smooth surfaces such as pavement, however, although it does inevtiably accelerate wheel bearing wear.
-The throttle servo is a piece of garbage...mine was making strange noises and performance became terrible at the first hint of moisture contamination. I replaced it with a Hitec HS-475HB and have had no more consistency issues with servo travel/speed.
-The front axles seem to be prone to breakage on the CV joint end where the shaft meets the ball end; both I and a friend who have had accidents involving broken suspension arms also suffered a broken axle, though the axle broke a few runs later due to stress cracks caused by the accident. It would be nice to see this area of the axle beefed up for added strength, since the MMT is far larger than this hardware appears to be made for.
Replacement axles are also rediculously expensive!!!!! $43.00 for the whole assembly is assinine, especially since there is no need to purchase the entire assembly when all you need to replace is the axle itself.
-The set screws on the brake cams and brake/throttle linkage are much too small in diameter for their intended application and as such strip very easily. I recommend purchasing extras and NOT using loctite unless absolutely necessary.
-The screws which fasten the steering links to the hubs have a very small head which is also prone to stripping. I replaced these button-head style screws with cap-head style screws of the same diameter and thread with much success - no more stripping.
-Using loctite on the hub threads makes threading the nuts on very difficult after the initial use. The threads should be elongated to make threading the wheel nut on easier, and to allow using an additional nut for security,
-XTM includes a small multi-wrench, but it cannot be used to change the glow plug. Many other brands supply these with their trucks, so why can't XTM?

Most of the "Pros" I listed about the truck are self-explanatory. I should mention that the steering setup on this truck seems to be nearly indestructible! The dual metal-geared servos really work well and make this huge truck very responsive. The brakes are also very effective...stopping the truck within ten feet from top speed (when it's not skidding). I've been able to make the truck roll tail over head when stopping (too) quickly...what does that tell you? The .28 engine is great on this truck, offering loads of power when tuned correctly...and the rear exhaust is definitely a welcome sight.

-Dom

The said in a rc magizine that it was great truck:eek:

domg 02-06-2008 11:00 AM

@ KILL-ROY

From reading other people's experiences, I have been slowly coming to the conlcusion that these sort of issues are more inherent to the hobby itself rather than the truck. In a way, I'm glad to hear a successful truck such as the Savage has a few issues of its own. As for that magazine review, I should mention that my post was just a list of gripes and not a testimonial about how crappy of a truck it is. I probably should have elaborated more about the positive aspects of the truck, since by and large there are a LOT of really great features I seem to be taking for granted...maybe I should go out and buy a REAL crappy truck, so I can learn to enjoy mine.

@ Ingen28

The steering on this truck is practically bullet-proof...it might need some initial adjustment but should work fine for your friend right out of the box.

@ rclynx

Seems like we're in agreement about the wheels, and the brakes. You're right, after looking at the CVD shafts for other brands, the XTM parts are indeed relatively inexpensive, though I'm still a little confused as to why such a simple part costs so much money. As for the throttle servo, I mentioned the moisture issue because the position sensors inside the servo seem to be very easily contaminated when driving around snow or water (not submerged, just in contact with). I had an experience that substatiates this...short and sweet, I was bashing in some snow, which made its way into the servo and caused the servo to start centering at different positions. Well, it was fine for a few minutes, but then took off at full throttle because the servo had "found" center at a point most of the way through the throttle travel. Hitting the brakes or activating the failsafe did not work since the servo could not travel enough to engage the brakes or bring down the revs. The truck ended up going head first into the side of my shed at about 25MPH at full throttle...while I was showing the truck off to some family members during our Super Bowl party. Surprisingly, I "only" broke a lower control arm and one of the two bumper supports, and the CVD shaft broke within the next few runs. I had spare parts to get it running, but didn't dare to without knowing for sure the problem didn't happen again...so the throttle servo got switched out with a Hitec unit and I haven't had the problem since.

The pull start string has broken on me twice, and not because of over-extension...both times it broke on the first pull of the day, though I was able to re-tie the cord and use the truck anyway.

Since you appear to know what you're talking about, tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I usually carry the truck with the nose up because I heard this should be done with rear-exhaust vehicles so that debris could not find its way up the exhaust tube. Would carrying the truck nose up help keep oil away from the OWB?

jombo 02-06-2008 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i could'nt tell you what you do wrong but it sounds like you are having a hard time with it , i hit a wooden bridge with mine and didnt do any damage to the truck :D . i also have the nemesis wheeles and they are much bigger than the stock ones, but i also admit the stock rims are no good mine destroyed themselves almost right after breakin. i like this truck its definitly one of the biggest trucks out and for the price its not a bad deal. if you plan on jumping the truck i would put thicker shock oil like 40 or 50wt in and a stiffer spring, i also found that thunder tiger shock springs fit the truck the black springs in particular (very stiff). every truck needs some setting up the only truck out of the box that i feel that didnt need it is the lst2 its the best of the best but are you willing to pay 650 or do you want to do some setup and down time and drive a more inexpencive truck;) and have some fun a few hours later.
my backyard is full of mud and water did you spray your electronics with wd40 before hand maybe thats where you went wrong, i still havent lost a reciever or servo to water yet. i dont want to say it but it sounds to me like a new first time person with a new truck

jombo 02-06-2008 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: domg

-Large/strong diff cases

-Dom

here is my review of the truck :D

http://www.groundpoundersrc.com/inde...pic,546.0.html
maybe this can help you out abit

RCUSEE 02-06-2008 05:29 PM

post a pic :)

jombo 02-06-2008 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: RCUSEE

post a pic :)
you got it:D
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/DSC04599.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Picture162.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Picture153.jpg

IL2mSturmovik 02-06-2008 10:24 PM

Keep us posted on it, looks like its a nice truck and they fixed all the weak links!

jombo 02-06-2008 10:51 PM

the only weak link so far are the rims, they are weak and broke on me after breakin. the whole rim from the inside out ripped to shreads, this thing is very touqiy and needs dish rims or genesis rims which i have setup just not on the truck yet(they do look sweet though)

rclynx 02-07-2008 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Seems like we're in agreement about the wheels, and the brakes. You're right, after looking at the CVD shafts for other brands, the XTM parts are indeed relatively inexpensive, though I'm still a little confused as to why such a simple part costs so much money. As for the throttle servo, I mentioned the moisture issue because the position sensors inside the servo seem to be very easily contaminated when driving around snow or water (not submerged, just in contact with). I had an experience that substatiates this...short and sweet, I was bashing in some snow, which made its way into the servo and caused the servo to start centering at different positions. Well, it was fine for a few minutes, but then took off at full throttle because the servo had "found" center at a point most of the way through the throttle travel. Hitting the brakes or activating the failsafe did not work since the servo could not travel enough to engage the brakes or bring down the revs. The truck ended up going head first into the side of my shed at about 25MPH at full throttle...while I was showing the truck off to some family members during our Super Bowl party. Surprisingly, I "only" broke a lower control arm and one of the two bumper supports, and the CVD shaft broke within the next few runs. I had spare parts to get it running, but didn't dare to without knowing for sure the problem didn't happen again...so the throttle servo got switched out with a Hitec unit and I haven't had the problem since.

The pull start string has broken on me twice, and not because of over-extension...both times it broke on the first pull of the day, though I was able to re-tie the cord and use the truck anyway.

Since you appear to know what you're talking about, tell me if I'm doing something wrong. I usually carry the truck with the nose up because I heard this should be done with rear-exhaust vehicles so that debris could not find its way up the exhaust tube. Would carrying the truck nose up help keep oil away from the OWB?
Sorry m8 I've answered 2 times and this server times me out when ever I write for a short time, Wheels garbage,
CVD's pretty good other than coming loose(have to check them the pin lock comes loose when there pretty new)
The parts cost a lot because theyare trying to kill us for the low unit prices on the internet. They charge me a lot to put them on a shelf.
Servo problem probably a glich that happens in the electronics that is prevelant in almost all the stock TX RX combo's. They have all improved on the OEM eletronics but they only fair at best. I recommend changing them all out[:o]
Cord is more of a problem for one person than another. That 459 engine is tough and has great compression.
The oil on the OWB is inharent of the SH big block engines and you have to use all precautions to avoid turning it any way but flat. Fuels have a lot to do with it also. When I'm through running for the day the fuel gets pinched off, line removed and after run iol gets put in on top of the piston, the piston put at BDC and let it cool like that. there shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck with your MMT, I'm having a blast with mine :D

wave waker 02-07-2008 08:22 PM

can anybody post a pic showing the rear pipe and hearder set-up?pleassseeeee!..i want to do it in my warhead...

jombo 02-07-2008 10:48 PM

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145621.asp
here you go its a big u shape

RCUSEE 02-08-2008 08:31 AM

its huge :)
do hpi and proline mt bodies fit or is it too large

domg 02-19-2008 07:08 PM

Hey all,

I've had a chance to run about six tanks through the truck since the last time I posted and have been having much better luck with it. I also spent quite a bit of time giving it some TLC and tuning everything to my liking. The only major problems I've had since my last post were the two-speed stopped shifting because the tension pin got stuck, and my throttle servo (the new Hitec one) had a moisture issue on a cold day while bashing in some snow which led to the truck running full throttle into the side of my shed. Yeah, I think the whole neighborhood heard the "raaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh THUD RAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH" since it flipped on its back and was stuck at full throttle until I could run over to it.

Currently I'm running sway bars front and back and am VERY happy with the handling...I have the thicker gold bar in back and the thinner silver one in front (3.5mm and 2.8mm respectively). I also added some camber front and rear which seems to help with traction through corners, especially on loose surfaces. To combat the slipping OWC on the starter shaft, I pulled it apart and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol, then took the polish off the shaft by lightly scrubbing it with a scotch-brite pad, which definitely helped.

I'll post with some pictures of a few modifications I made to strengthen the most stressed parts of the truck, and to help the brakes. Essentially what I did was double-layer the metal plate on top of the center gear mount with a spare I had laying around...this made the whole assembly much stronger and less prone to bending when the brakes are applied. I also used some extra brake pads and rotors I had laying around to give this beast SIX, yes six brake rotors with extra pads to accompany them. Let's just say that the thing stops a little too well now :D

Thanks for all your helpful replies though, you all have kept me in good spirits after I wasso frustrated that I was about to put the thing on eBay.

Regards,

-Domenic

rclynx 02-20-2008 06:27 AM

Glad to see your working out the kinks and darned if you didn't find the only other semi problems the beast has. If you check my site every once in a while I have a brace being made to eliminate the twist in the radio plate. The way my time gets spread and as slow as the guy is that lazer cuts my parts for me it will be a while but I'll fix it [>:] I hate quirky things in the toys I play with and sell. This MMT reminds me of all the great things they did to improve the old Mammoth. Starting at a better place though :D

domg 02-20-2008 06:39 AM

I'd absolutely be interested in some aftermarket brace parts...what's your website?

androidx1 02-21-2008 11:35 AM

Havnt posted much on here....but ive been thinking of getting this truck for a while now...but I just never pulled the trigger!!!! Well...my wife surprised me with the truck for Valentines day!!!!! What a wife huh???

Anyway.....I havnt had a chance to run it yet, as I dont really want to break it in in the cold weather.....but Dont you guys thing this truck could benefit from a wider tire stance?

Are there any aftermarket parts that would allow you to widen the stance?

rclynx 02-21-2008 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a great set up to widen that Mega Monster [link=http://www.xtm-dealer.com/MMT%20tire%20Combos.html]WHEEL AND TIRE COMBO[/link] works darn well. there is about 4 of us in central CA with it ;)

Your more than welcome to come and join in at my site but its still being constructed [link=http://xtm-dealer.com]rclynx[/link]

badboy-ya 02-23-2008 11:54 AM

hey guys i wanna get the xtm mmt truck what do you think,i even put my brand new raptor 60 v2 in an ad in helis for sale or trade for one, an a truggy 21 to 30 nitro motor,so take a peek,thank