RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Switching from %20 to %30 Nitro (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/731522-switching-%2520-%2530-nitro.html)

Dlock 04-29-2003 01:20 PM

Switching from %20 to %30 Nitro

My stinkin' LHS has not gotten any %20 Nitro %18 oil fuel in for a week and a half now. I am officially out!! They do have a %30 Nitro %18 Oil blend in stock. My question is what is the extra nitro going to do? Will it run cooler/hotter? Will I get better performance? I kow there will need to be some retuning, just wanted to know if there are any adverse effects to running higher nitro for a gallon, then swithcing back to the %20..........

Dlock 04-30-2003 01:43 AM

Anyone got any input on this?

noahb 04-30-2003 02:00 AM

fuel

It may run a little hotter, but with the add. of nitro...you can actually run it a little richer and have the same performance. I used to run 30% coolpower in my savage, then I went to 20% when I got my picco in it. I did notice the picco had more power with the 30%, but not a big diff. between the 20% and 30%. I hope this helps. Just run the 30% and richen up your needle after you get it started. You won't notice a big change in needle settings anyways.

caseyddr 04-30-2003 02:02 AM

somebody on here said that if you switch nitro %, that you should let the engine idle through a tank, so it gets used to the new fuel. jus relying a message.

hitler75 04-30-2003 02:05 AM

It's recommended that if you wanna race your truck and gaining more power, go for a higher nitro %. What they don't tell you is that a higher nitro % means less oil, methanol % which will cook your engine real quick if you're over leaning it.

It goes the opposite for less nitro %, and your engine lasts longer but with less power. All depends on what you wanna do with your truck... for me I use 25% nitro but richen it more so that the engine won't fry prematurely, but I will be switching to a lower % prob 15% soon. I just wanna have fun :)

BUGGIES_R_US 04-30-2003 02:23 AM

Check this out..

Nitro is a power booster. Its NOT fuel!!

By increasing nitro by 15%, you are sacrificing on methanol, which is your real fuel!

So no, more nitro is not better. I think I can blame the placebo effect for your feeling that 30% ran better. It was your perception because you thought it would :)

Anyway.. thats my opinion.

I personally think that anything over 20 is excessive.
I actually plan on kicking down to 15 and adding some oil to the 12,14% blens we get for 15 bucks a gallon.

I'll let you know if I ever get my hands on Castor oil!!

-ram

Dlock 04-30-2003 04:02 AM

I realize the the nitro in fuel helps to boost power, and that it's not the actual burning component in the fuel. My question was is it ok to change the % of nitro in fuel from one gallon to the next in the same engine? It does not really matter to me if I go up or down in % Nitro, I just wanted to know if it would be bad for my engine....

hitler75 04-30-2003 04:13 AM

You might have some problem initially trying to start your engine with the new mix. My friend took some harrying efforts to start his truck when he 1st changed nitro %. But after awhile, it starts as easily as turning a tap and it now purrs like it wants more!! :)

But you gotta retune it for maximum performance. However, I recomend that you go for less nitro % as this will give the engine more lubrication from the fuel and also set it slightly to the rich end... Happy trucking!! :D

Rex2342 04-30-2003 05:41 AM

I read on this forum somewhere that once you increase the nitro% you can't go back to a lower %.Just a thought.

hitler75 04-30-2003 06:42 AM

You can. All you need to do is retune your engine.

noahb 04-30-2003 09:39 AM

nitro

changing nitro is not going to hurt your engine. Like I said, more nitro, you can run your engine richer and still have the same power. Nitro slows the burn process, which makes more power. As far as less oil, 18% is 18%. So you sacarfice methenol...so what, no big deal. Just put the fuel you want to run in and go and have fun. You will not harm anything by going to 30% and if you want to go back down to 20% then you can later.

caseyddr 04-30-2003 10:28 AM

Originally posted by hitler75
You can. All you need to do is retune your engine.
actually you have to idle through it back down again.

j.d.roxx 04-30-2003 08:15 PM

Dlock, what size engine are you talking about? If it is a big block, no problem, just make sure you error on the side of rich when re-tuning. And ram, what engine are you running? I thought you had that Black Magic?

Dlock 05-01-2003 12:48 AM

TRX 2.5 in a T Maxx....

j.d.roxx 05-01-2003 03:08 AM

Dlock, dont run 30% in your 2.5, unless you are in the market for a new one :) . Wait for 20% to come in and order a lot!

caseyddr 05-01-2003 03:13 AM

Originally posted by j.d.roxx
Dlock, dont run 30% in your 2.5, unless you are in the market for a new one :) . Wait for 20% to come in and order a lot!
from what it says every1 is in market for a new 2.5 lately.. (i think bad shipment personally) so go ahead :) that way you can get the sirio .18 sooner!!

JeDi_MaStEr 05-02-2003 05:35 PM

Hey DLOCK..I have switched between 20% and 30% for about a month or so now and as long as I richen it a bit, it runs great and have not noticed any change in my engines overall performance...

Here's a question for the masses, which I think has been previously touched on before...can you mix a 20% with a 30%?? One brand with another? if so are there any benefits? reason I ask is I have a little less than a half gallon on 20% and 3/4 of 30%, I like to add some 30 to the 20..my thoughts were since the 30% has less oil than the 20%, adding the higher Nitro blend to a higher oil blend might get a good overall result?? Thoughts?

BUGGIES_R_US 05-02-2003 05:54 PM

I dont see any problem in doing that at all.

Nitromethanol has no color. Any coloring you see has been added for.. uhh cosmetic purposes?! Sure I'd like to see slime green fuel :)

MY only concern with higher nitro is that your paying more for absolutely nothing.
Its like putting 93 octane on a Ford Mustang GT. Can you say crude and inefficient?!
If you drive an S2000, different story!
See what I mean?

-ram

JeDi_MaStEr 05-02-2003 07:28 PM

Thanks B_R_S, I thought so, I bought the 30% on a day I was heading out to bash and 1 LHS was closed, and all the other had left was 30%, I was not about to go home or show up with only 1 tank of gas so...I think I wil end up mixing the 30 with the 20 to get the most out of the 20 I have left..

GPmaxx 05-03-2003 02:03 PM

I have been running Odonnel 40% for about 3 months and the only difference between it and 20% was that it ran about 20 degrees hotter after a hard run at the track. There is definately a noticeable power increase in the low end torque. Make sure you turn your high end needle about 1/4 turn counter clockwise until you go thru a tank of fuel then lean it 1/8 turn and you should be good to go. :D

http://www.boomspeed.com/groundpoundr/gpmaxx3.jpg

http://www.boomspeed.com/groundpoundr/gpmaxx4.jpg