RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Savage Q's (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/745707-savage-qs.html)

987982 05-05-2003 02:56 AM

Savage Q's

Couple of savage questions...i might be getting one soon
First of all, I will would want to take out the 21bb and sell it. How much could i get for it?
Then I was thinking about replacing it with either a Ofna hyper 21 8 port or a Ofna force .25. Which one would be a better engine? Anyone have the specs on the engines? Which engine would make this truck faster, and are they durable?
Also i know that the dogbones are weak, so are the heavy duty ones a must, or should i just wait till i break the others then get them?
Is the stock steering servo strong enough to steer the savage's tires? I would probably eventually upgrade it, but is it ok?
What else would i need for the savage?

Oh and what is the ground clearance of the savage?

thanks

cemeb4dk 05-05-2003 03:06 AM

Savage Q's

I'm a proud three day savage owner.

My stock steering servo broke during my break in. So I put the high torque Hitech 645Mg. know the wheels turn standing still. Sorry can't help on the rest to new.

hitler75 05-05-2003 03:08 AM

Savage Q's

Buy one and start having half the fun running it... the other half comes when you break something and needs to mod it :)

noahb 05-05-2003 03:15 AM

savage

I would not get either of those engines. I would spend an extra $30 and get the Picco .26 Great engine, will totaly blow those engine away. Plus it's a Picco. Also, get rid of the clutch, and go with the HD Dogbones. I would go to a three shoe clutch, with alum. shoes being the optimum in my mind. This is what I am running. I also went to a 16T bell. Very fast, very quick.

Groundforce-RCU 05-05-2003 09:10 AM

Savage Q's

My thinking is that you should try the stock engine.
Its not bad for bashing, and will give you the chance to learn the driving charactures of the Savage.
Put your money into basic needs of the truck, such as failsafe, heavy duty dog bones (wouldnt go with the cvs till they figure out how to keep pins in) upgraded air filter, Im using the Hitec 5945 mg (WOW!),and a good 5 cell battery.
However, if you decide to sell the stock engine, ive seen guys TRYING to sell them for 100.00
Like I said though......unless you plan to drag race all the time, I see no real need for replacing the stock engine until you have to. Yes you will have a faster, more powerfull truck, but think of whats going to twist and break for more speed.
Just my thinking.....hope it helps.

987982 05-05-2003 10:59 PM

Savage Q's

Thanks for all the input..
Noah, if i did get the picco, what mods would i have to make? I don't know much about clutches, so could you point me to a good one (or the one your using). What else would i have to do to get that engine in the savage.
Also, are aluminum shocks for the savage neccesary? Will the plastic ones hold up for a long time?

thanks

noahb 05-05-2003 11:49 PM

picco

I would either get the Mugen or Koyosho alum. clutches, with either a med. or heavy spring. Do not get the kyosho flywheel as you will have to mod the engine plate to make it work (it spaces the bell housing to far foward.) I here the mugen flywheel works great. I am running the kyosho flywheel and alum shoes with trininty 16t bell. The stock bearings will fit this bell. As far as shocks, the plastic one I have had been great. I was going to upgrade, but the way I abuse the truck, if I break anything, it will be cheap to fix. If you email me I can get you the part numbers you need. I don't know who has the mugen flywheel in stock. Tower does not, but other places may. The picco is a great engine. Puts out tons of power, runs good. You will also need to look into upgrading the pipe. You can find good ones for $20-30 dollars. I would get a dual chamber, and not a open one. this provides a little more backpressure and makes the needles tune better.

Easy rider 05-06-2003 12:13 AM

Savage Q's

NoahB,

I'm planning on buying the PICCO .26. I also wonder what clutch to use. Can you give me the order# of the kyosho clutch your'e using ? And why are you saying " plus , it's a picco " what do you mean by that ? Can you get wheelies with this engine ?
I'm not really looking for a race engine or I would of chosen something else than a MT. But has this engine lots of low RPM power ?

thancks
David.

noahb 05-06-2003 02:42 AM

david

Here is the stuff I ordered: The kyosho flywheel will require you to modify the engine mount plate to allow the engine to move back about 1/8" or so. I here the mugen flywheel does not do this, and also the GS Storm flywheel, but can't confirm that. I would go with the Kyosho alum. shoes, heavy springs, and trinity 16T bell. The stock bearings will fit the bell. As far as power, the .26 kicks butt. I can easily wheelie going 10-15 mph in a high traction surface, like grass. The top speed I would imagine is close to 50, may be over. But it has tons of torque. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXCNL9

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXCNP8

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVD48&P=7
here is the mugen flywheel:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNJ79&P=7
here is the 16T bell:http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCSC8&P=7

noahb 05-06-2003 02:43 AM

clutch nut

Make sure you order the clutch nut that is made for the flywheel you are using. The stock nut I don't think will work. I did not for me...

987982 05-06-2003 03:27 AM

Savage Q's

thanks for the info...would all those parts work together even if they are made from different companies? (the mugen fly wheel, kyosho clutch etc)

noahb 05-06-2003 09:37 AM

parts

They should. I think the only thing that might change is the clutch nut. Which may be designed specific for the flywheel, and even then sometimes they will still work.

applejax7 05-07-2003 02:09 AM

Savage Q's

with the kyosho flywheel u need to move the engine mount plate back right. Is that jsut a matter of unscrewing it and simply moving it back or will you need to buy a mod-kit for that? and do you need to buy a mod. to fit the picco 2.6? If i buy this truck i will definatly get the picco... how fast does the Savage go w/ the Picco? can it handle the power?

Thanks

noahb 05-07-2003 02:25 AM

savage

There is no mod kit as I think the aftermarket eng. mounts will not let it slide back far enough. I would not get the kyosho flywheel as this makes the header very close if not touching the shock spring. If you do go this route, you will have to take a dremel and make the eng. mount plate(the purple plate) and elongate the holes rearward to allow for clearence. This is why I am going to replace the kyosho flywheel with a mugen in the near future. The kyosho is to thick. Now the engine...yes this engine is very powerful. Here is what I would do from the moment you order the engine:
Get the HD dog bones or the HOT Bodies cvs.
Replace the stock rims with your favorite or I run the Hot Bodies devestaator they are cheap and fit a million time better then the stock. Run a 16t bell. I have not clocked the savage, but I am guessing top speed would be around 50mph if not more. I run my engine pretty rich...cause it makes so much power. This will let my engine last a very long time. Today, I was pulling wheelies in the park going 15-20 mph. I would also hesitate to go with bigger tires then the stock. They act as a natural slipper (they still grip pretty good) and will not put any undue stress on the drive train. Also get a aftermarket airfilter. And keep it clean. I clean mine everytime I go run for the day. I have a crap load of parts that I thought I was going to have to have, the only thing I have used is one diff gear set, and a fuel tank. The diffs are great, I just abuse the heck out of my truck. I usally run my truck in a gravel/dirt pit that a large const. company has. They have lots of dirt hills that are 15-25 feet high. I have launched my savage countless time off the crest of these hills. I haul butt near full speed, hit the heel to carry the speed up and launch off the back side. Most of the time I land in the flat area and still have not tore up anything. I would not go with the aftermarket shocks, as I have here there shock shaft is weak, plust the plastic ones are very easy to rebuild and cheap. I have yet to break a shock.

cemeb4dk 05-07-2003 02:26 AM

Savage Q's

NoahB

Will the above mentioned parts work on the stock savage engine also, until i upgrade to the pico

noahb 05-07-2003 02:48 AM

yes

yes

cemeb4dk 05-07-2003 02:58 AM

Savage Q's

Tower doesn't carry Mugen Alum Shoes or I didn't see a flywheel nut for Mugen, and my LHS doesn't carry this brand. Any suggestions on where to find, tower does have a clutch set, which includes flywheel, springs and carbon shoes, what do you think or should i just go aluminum.

Thanks for all the help

offroadnut 05-07-2003 07:31 AM

Savage Q's

Just ordered OFNA/PICCO .26 going to try to use ofna fan type flywheel (maybe keep the engine a little cooler in cramped compartment) OFNA 16 tooth bell and alum shoes, will write again to tell if they are a drop in.

noahb 05-07-2003 09:51 PM

shoes

I would try Nitrohouse. They seem to have stuff like the mugen I think. You don't have to run mugen shoes. Kyosho shoes will work fine too.