RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Does an Electric RC have a longer life??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/855534-does-electric-rc-have-longer-life.html)

phil313 06-12-2003 01:53 AM

Does an Electric RC have a longer life???

I am beginning to think electric would have been better for me. I was wondering if the engines last longer????

Alteramod 06-12-2003 02:16 AM

Well Im not sure on the engines/motors but the car its self usually does IMO just because most of them arent as fast as a nitro. But dont get me wrong there are some fast electrics out there. I just like nitro.

Alteramod 06-12-2003 02:18 AM

Crap I read my post and it makes me feel dumb. What I meant is that if you hit something going faster its ganna break. If you for some reason you flip it or just some how crash going FAST then it pry gonna break.

phil313 06-12-2003 02:21 AM

Thanks but I am talking engine only!! I am assuming that both cars are never crashed....LOL I know it is funny but I think the electric might be more reliable in the years to come as far as the engine life?

Alteramod 06-12-2003 02:28 AM

Well you can get I would say on average 4-5 gallons of fuel out of a cheaper engine, I know it may sound like very little but that fuel will last you a long time (thats if you dont drive day in day out)
Keeping it rich enough to not over heat your engine helps alot in engine life, using the right kind of fuel helps also.

But good engines like O.S. might last you a few more gallons?! Really just depends on how hard and lean you run your engine.

Alteramod 06-12-2003 02:31 AM

also if you take care of your engine like putting after run oil in it if your ganna put it away for more than 2 weeks and keeping the air filter clean and oiled makes a difference

Isphius 06-12-2003 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Alteramod
Well Im not sure on the engines/motors but the car its self usually does IMO just because most of them arent as fast as a nitro. But dont get me wrong there are some fast electrics out there. I just like nitro.
My pan car gets up to 65 with 12 cells and has been to 80.1 once with 18 cells and a 6 turn motor. I like nitro more for offroad, because dirt and hills kill batteries way to fast. my electric motor is run on 2 stick packs (12 cells) and has lasted about 3 years so far, driving in the summers.

matt2 06-13-2003 12:07 AM

ive never had a gas befor but the engine in my stampede and e maxx has lasted about a year in 1/2. I'm not sure if thats long but its done my good

whitexj 06-13-2003 12:18 AM

Depends on how hard and long you run the engine. Sure they both need break times in between. Ive heard of people getting 6-8 gallons out of there gas engines. Thats awsome. I have both so i cant tell you. I can drive both equally so they dont ware as fast.

adeoliver 06-13-2003 01:40 AM

Originally posted by matt2
ive never had a gas befor but the engine in my stampede and e maxx has lasted about a year in 1/2. I'm not sure if thats long but its done my good
Just have to clearify something here!! :rolleyes:

ENIGNE(gas)= internaly driven(internal combustion)
MOTOR(electric)=externaly driven(gets power from another source)

Now with that said, you can run an electric(motor) for just about as long as you want, however like the gas(engines) the electric(motors) do ware out, just not as fast, they will run untill the brush's no longer touch the com, your stampede and emaxx motors will not last for ever and you will have to replace them eventualy because they are closed bells/cans, so you cant put new brush's in the stinger nor the titans.

Alteramod 06-13-2003 02:27 AM

Thats what I tell my parants lol. The posted signs only say no motorized vehicles. Motorized is electric, and a 4 wheeler is gas not electric :D

nitroman88 06-13-2003 02:47 AM

yes, electric motors need to to have brushes replaced and rebroke-in much like a nitro engine rebuild. eventually the com will go down the crapper and that will need to be replaced aswell.