RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Problems with my "EZ-Start" on my T-MAXX 2.5, and stalling! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/860262-problems-my-ez-start-my-t-maxx-2-5-stalling.html)

RCFreakInFL 06-13-2003 10:46 PM

Problems with my "EZ-Start" on my T-MAXX 2.5, and stalling!

I am having a helluva time right now with my T-Maxx. Just bought this truck on ebay, in practially new condition. Have been fooling around with it all day. I know about the stalling issues I am hearing, and I am dealing with them. I can't seem to get the air/idle mixture right on it, and it runs either too rich, or too lean, not quite getting the sweet spot. But besides that......

This dayum EZ-START crap, really sucks! The little electric motor on mine, really stinks for starting the truck. I think I may be on the road to burning it out....has anyone had any problems like that? It all started when I got the truck going, took it down the street, at about 1/2 throttle, it stalled (no surprise)....so I go hurrying down the road before a car hits it. I try to start it up again, and the little motor just starts spinning (like a whining sound), but the motor doesn't turn over. When I let it spin for like 3-4 seconds, it caught the motor a little, and spun it like once or twice. So I was mad!

I took the "EZ-CRAP" system apart, to check it out. I was thinking maybe a pinion was loose. Opened it up, cleaned all the crap outta there, there were little bits of plastic shavings from the gears meshing with the frame on the inside. Re-greased it, and then assembled again! Charged my 1500 pack up (on my Indi 16x7) ;) Went to crank it back up, and it did try to start, but after about 5 seconds of doing that, it seemed like it just started to spin again, and not turn the motor over. Then I looked, and of course there was a little smoke coming out of the can (on the motor), and of course the can was very hot. So I decided to let it sit and cool.

It just seems like this starting system isn't a great one, for having to tune the crap outta this motor to get it working right. Traxxas says to turn the needle out 4 turns, and I am having to run it at about 4 1/2-5 to get it to even wanna run, but it just doesn't sound right at all.

So what all this winds up to, is to ask if anyone just takes this EZ start system off their 2.5, and just uses like a pull start? I hate pull-start, and have heard horror stories about them. I could care less about the weight issue that I would be gaining. I just want something that I can bash around the park in. But honestly, once this truck stalls (quite often), it seems like the starting system just doesn't want to turn it over anymore, unless I peak the battery right then, for another good start......any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

RCFreakInFL 06-13-2003 11:03 PM

Also, just wanted to say that I'm only running 5% airplane fuel in this motor right now. It's been broken in, but I'm just now thinking, that this lower grade nitro, could be the problem with me not being able to get it to idle properly, and prolly the reason it is stalling a lot!

maxxdaddy74 06-13-2003 11:21 PM

I use the e-z start on my Sirio and it works just fine. I think you should get the gear set for yours and then try it . The 2.5 was great during break in and then it just turned to ****. Invest in another (better) engine.

Legendary 06-13-2003 11:35 PM

The E-Z Start system,

Is great and will last a long time but, maybe not with the 2.5?? I would use some nitro in the range that is supposed to be run through that engine like 20%! Even if it is airplane fuel it should still be the right % for the engine! Your one-way barring could be worn out and not catching the starter shaft?? If you can turn the one-way by hand on the shaft without it catching it is worn out!

ExtremeRC 06-13-2003 11:56 PM

Your one way bearing is slipping. Take it out and let it soak in denatured alchol for about 3 hours. I do it for 3 hours and get great results.

niffken 06-14-2003 12:34 AM

one way for sure. I drilled a small hole in ez stater to spray nitro clean in before starting

ExtremeRC 06-14-2003 02:12 AM

sounds to me like that is ur problem becuase that is what mine does when the one way is slippin.

RCFreakInFL 06-14-2003 03:04 AM

Thanks guys! I called my LHS this afternoon, and the guy there concurred with what you're all saying, about the 1-way being stuck. I will soak it good tomorrow for about 3 hours then, and hopefully this clears up! The motor had only been ran like 6 times from the prev owner, and it all looks new, so it just surprised me a bit to have to tear down the EZ-START to get it working again.....hopefully this isn't something that I will have to get used to! Now, after I soak the 1-way, what kind of lube do I need to put back on it before installation?

ExtremeRC 06-14-2003 11:31 AM

you can put a lil 3 in 1 oil but i don't like putting it on cause that just makes it slip faster. When the engine is rich its get oil out onto the bearing and shaft and then when its to bad it slips so i guess it doesn't really matter. ANyone else got a suggestion?

BUGGIES_R_US 06-14-2003 01:04 PM

Another thing.. your fuel..
5% is lower than what they recommend.. so You'll have to use a much HOTTER glow plug or decreased performance/stalling isnt far away.

I'm interested in the longevity of your engine with that fuel.. please keep us posted!

ram

Avalanche 06-14-2003 03:01 PM

Originally posted by RCFreakInFL
Also, just wanted to say that I'm only running 5% airplane fuel in this motor right now.

Why? There is no good reson to use 5%. Get yourself some good brand name 20% fuel like Traxxas or Blue Thrunder. You will NEVER be able to tune that thing properly with 5%. I say get a good brand name fuel because its very consistant from bottle to bottle and will make tuning easier. Once you have the tuning down, you can switch to custom blends and retune as needed.

ExtremeRC 06-14-2003 06:07 PM

I run traxxas in all my cars. I have no complanits with it. It keeps the engine well lubed with all the oils. I agree with everyone else 5% is a no no. Get 20% Traxxas or O'Donnel.

8000ft 06-14-2003 06:25 PM

you need to pull apart the ez start gear box and replace the gear that contacts the brass gear off of the motor. buy a couple of gear sets at your lhs because this problem happened aolt to me. i ended up shimming the motor up on one side so that its brass gear would contact the other gear harder,but this puts alot of strain on the motor. i just put the pull start back on after the engine was broken in. the wizzing noise that you heard was the brass gear just barely touching the nylon gear, some times you will get lucky and it will "catch" a good tooth and it will turn the engine over enough to start it.

RCFreakInFL 06-14-2003 09:40 PM

I have changed the fuel over now, to Traxxas 20% made for the 2.5

As for the EZ START.....still having problems with it. I took everything apart, and soaked the 1-way for 3 hours as stated....still makes no difference. I even put the 1-way in the other way, to make sure it was in correctly, and when I did that, the bearing just spun all over the crank end, so I know the bearing was in the right way, the first time. So what I then did, was assemble it all back together, and instead of bolting it all back up to the rear of the case, I left a little room so that I could see the 1 way in action, when I put power to the starter. The motor turned over, but the 1 way would catch, it looks like, when the motor is top dead center. The the little electric motor would keep spinning, and the 1 way would not catch. Then I would turn the flywheel slightly, so that the piston/crank was on it's way back down, then hit the starter. It would catch, and turn the crank for 1 more turn, till it stopped again, and then the little electric motor would keep spinning, but the crank would not. The only way I know how to describe it, would be like a very loose clutch. When there is force applied, it starts to spin, otherwise it works fine.

I'm really quite frustrated. I am thinking of just looking on ebay for either an entire new 2.5 w/starting system, or just the system itself. My motor is fine, no problems with it.....I hate to sell this T-MAXX, I just got it, and want to enjoy it!

If those of you really think that it is just the 1-way, then maybe I could just get that replaced. However, it seems like the 1 way is working fine. When I had it out of the casings, I stuck it on the crankshaft itself, and turned it clockwise, and it caught and turned the motor fine, with no play, and when I turned it counter-clockwise, it just spun, like it's suppose to. But it seems like either under the pressure of the electric motor, it just doesn't want to keep spinning, either that.....or the electric motor is just too weak......I really have no idea! I am tempted to have the hobby shop here take a look at it, and try to fix it! This T-MAXX is VERY new, and I think that makes me even more PO'd!

ExtremeRC 06-14-2003 09:59 PM

okay take apart ur ex start assembly and as above ur post from 8000ft check ur gears. Seems to me now since it is still doing from process of elimination u might have a stripped gear in there. I have that a few times and i always have 3 sets around incase

Legendary 06-14-2003 10:10 PM

It has to be,

The gears! If your one-way is fine it can only be the gears that are causing this! They sell just the gears or you can do like you said and buy a whole new starter system on Ebay vary cheap! You did say that when you cleaned out the E-Z start there was plastic pieces in there right?? That would be a good clue to the gears being shot!

RCFreakInFL 06-15-2003 02:32 AM

Yes, there were plastic shavings inside the casings, and that only after having "4 runs" as described on the auction, and I do believe that it was only run those few times. I looked at all the gears, and how they mesh, and it looks pretty clean. The only teeth that are slightly freyed are the ones that are molded in the casing itself. It's the teeth, that the 3 little gears ride against, coming out from the motor shaft, to the larger gear that the 3 spin.....if you have this system, you know what I'm talking about! I am thinking that maybe 1 of those 3 smaller gears is not catching the mesh correctly. If that it the case, then it is the actual molding of the case that is at fault, and not the gears. The shavings were black, and the only black gear teeth in that entire system, or those that are molded in the case, all the others are either white plastic, or the brass/metal ones.

I think I am going to try to find just the EZ START replacement itself, possibly with a new motor, and a new 1 way.......this way I cannot loose, and I can always use the old gears from this system. Now the chore is finding this w/o the motor, in new condition! If anyone has a link, or better yet, access to one of these, I will gladly move over $$ in PAYPAL!

Thanks for everyone's help, please if you have anymore input, I would love to hear it!

badboy2 06-15-2003 03:54 AM

get new gears 1st or take it to your lhs let them check it..