RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Savage 21 users, Please Read and HELP!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/881327-savage-21-users-please-read-help.html)

Kenroc 06-20-2003 02:29 PM

Savage 21 users, Please Read and HELP!!

I have had my savage 21 for about 2 months now. After about a week, I bought the HPI Roto Start System. After running and starting fine since I installed the roto-start, something happened when I tried to take it out today to run.

Somehow, the One Way Bearing stripped out, and would not crank the engine. I took the engine off and turned it manually, and the engine is still fine.

SO needless to say, I went right home, and ordered the part from Tower Hobbies.

My Question, am I doing something wrong to cause this bearing to strip? Should I maybe stick with the Pullstart, or keep using the Roto-Start?

savagedude2006 06-20-2003 03:47 PM

i don't have the roto kit but my guess would be that if the starter has any power at all and you hydrolocked the engine...it may have broken the one-way's pins
just a guess

waverave 06-20-2003 04:21 PM

They are prone to damage to begin with by design...ever moreso when using the roto start.
It's important that you never try and start the engine when it is flooded and hard to turn over. Usually this is how the one-way goes bad.
It's handy to have an extra bearing or two in your tool kit.

DFF 06-20-2003 04:23 PM

Oiled one way bearing is the culprit of your problem. Gas goes through the flywheel p/s o-ring and can grease your one way. This will make it slip, not catch the p/s shaft and not be able to go over the engine compression.

Two choices here:

Da best choice (highly recommeded).
1- Take one way off, clean with degreaser - put back-in.
If you can, remove the o-ring and put a new one.

Da shorcut
2- Put your Sav vertical with front wheel up-straight - try starting your engine until it is completly flooded - Gas will soak-up your one way bearing and clean it - it will then catch on the shaft (with this method, you might need to remove plug @ the beginning in order to have no engine compression )
Pls note that this method will work but it's not really a solution. It will help you start your engine, but that's all...

I know I just said @ the beginnning that gas can grease-up your one way bearing and that in my last method I said it will soak-it up and clean it, but that is what experience tells me :D

Later on, I might release a special piece that will replace the one way and will stay on the p/s axle. That's what I did on mine and it works like a charm !

Have fun.

DFF

Kenroc 06-20-2003 08:38 PM

DFF

I went ahead and bought 2 new One Way Bearings....but I will remember that in the future...thanks! :)

The shaft would turn fine if I turned the bearing with my hand, but when I put the roto-start back on, it wouldn't turn. Could the oil still be my problem? Is there any way to keep this oil problem from happening? :confused:

DFF 06-20-2003 10:19 PM

Yes, that's the oil probleme. Had the same thing on mine...

As said before, clean shaft and one way with degreaser and put a new o-ring.

And inspect thorougsly the shaft it sits on. The shaft surface needs to be in perfect condition for the one way to grab onto it.

Otherwise, you might want to unscrew your plug 1/8 of a turn to relieve some compression when trying to start. I've done that many time in the past. Just don't forget to screw it back on after it's running, that's all :)

I think I'll start to sell the custom piece I did to solve this nasty problem of one way slipping ! My roto start can start my very high compression R&B C5 in less than 2 sec.

DFF

Kenroc 06-23-2003 10:54 AM

DFF, Tried it

DFF, I appreciate the help. I took your advice and cleaned the shaft with degreaser, but the problem is still there. The bearing is bad, so I just have to wait until the One Way Bearing get here from Tower.

What is the custom fix you are talking about for the oil problem on the shaft? The shaft was oily, so maybe that could have created the problem in the first place.

Of course, I was also trying to turn the damn thing every direction I could, so I probably created half the problem myself!

Thanks,

Knoxville 06-23-2003 04:13 PM

p/s o-ring

Hey DFF knoxville here where is this o-ring you are talking about is it in the back plate i have the same problem after 1 tank on my savage which is a .25 the one-way will slip BAD and i can not figure out why and what is the special piece you were talking about that eliminates the the one-way i have 2 one-way bearings and they both do the same thing i clean them then after 1 tank they slip again you info will be appreciated

Knoxville

DFF 06-23-2003 06:19 PM

Remove back plate from engine.

Remove p/s flywheel and watch the small o'ring inside the back plate... That's what seal the p/s flywheel to the backplate.

Replace o'ring, it should solve you're "oily shaft" problem.

(be aware that there is as well a larger o'ring that seal the back plate to the engine case, but this one should be OK)

Anyway, the custom piece I am talking about is just a plain steel piece that replicate the outside shape of the one way bearing. It has a radial setscrew that grad on a flat spot I dremeled on my p/s flywheel.

I might release this piece through someone I know that could distribute it.

I think it's an awesome mod to definitively get the rid of that pesky unnecessary one way when using the roto start.

DFF

new72Savage 06-24-2003 12:51 AM

Yep, i keep getting oil in my one way bearing. So i siliconed the new pull start case to the backplate. From the way u guys are talking the oil is coming up the shaft, so the silicon isnt going to work. What ya'll think?

Funny thing, is that once the engine is hot it (the old one way) works perfect, but when cold slips like a mother. I replaced it thinking the bearing was worn and the shaft must expand at operating temp. Am i way off on this one, or is the heat doing something to the oil on the shaft?