RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Monster Trucks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/)
-   -   Sirio .18 for Tmaxx question... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-monster-trucks-160/891561-sirio-18-tmaxx-question.html)

Epik 06-23-2003 10:30 PM

Sirio .18 for Tmaxx question...

I've finally decided to upgrade my Tmaxx's 2.5 to the Sirio .18 6 port engine. For those of you that have this engine in their tmaxx's what else do you suggest on upgrading on the Tmaxx that's a must.
Thanks in advance.

Legendary 06-23-2003 10:43 PM

I don't have a Sirio,

But, I do have a .21 and a .25 and I would say you would need a steel spur gear and beef up the drive line! I have also added steel and aluminum trans gears but, you may not have to do that!

Epik 06-24-2003 12:38 AM

Thanks for the info.

maxxdaddy74 06-24-2003 01:13 AM

Just remember that you cant expect to beef up one part and solve all the problems. Its like putting a 454 in a chevette, you have to beef up the tranny and the drive shafts as well. The stock parts were engineered to work with the stock powerplant and now you are putting almost twice the H.P. and torque. They will not last long. The Sirio is a great engine and it has tons of power compared to the 2.5. I first beefed up my spur gear and then the clutch bell stripped. After beefing the clutch bell up the drive axles went. After beefing the drive axles the ring & pinion went. After beefing the ring & pinion the diff cup went. To solve that I just loosened the slipper a 1/4 turn. Do you see where I'm going here. The Maxx is a great truck but it is has a costly maintenance program if you plan on upgrading the engine.

Epik 06-24-2003 03:00 AM

Thanks for the info Maxxdaddy. I know I will have to upgrade the Tmaxx constantly after the new engine, but I will upgrade those parts as they get broken:) I was just wondering what was a mandatory upgrade as soon as I slapped on the engine.

lamp3y3 06-24-2003 03:34 AM

I ran the .18 in my stock tmaxx for a long time without any problems. Just keep the spur slipping enough and you will be ok. Also, If I were you I would stay with the stock pipe and bore it out with a 1/4" drill bit. You will get more torque and a smooth power band with it unlike the sirio .18 pipe - for me anways.

I dont know but after i upgraded all my stuff i got problems now. I lost the rear diff today and I have no clue as to why. I wasnt pushing the truck very hard for it to go out.

These alum knuckles are a pain to get adjusted right for camber and toe and personally I dont like using the upgraded steering servo. It has a tendency to oversteer too easily now. :(

Epik 06-25-2003 07:43 AM

Thanks for the info lamp3y3. I just ordered the Sirio and I guess I wont upgrade anything that's not mandatory until it breaks:D