Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Best rc dirtbike

Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM
j0e331

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best rc dirtbike

Hey guys, im looking to get an r/c dirtbike. I have my eye on the atomik MM450. It seems to have great reviews, very durable and the e-gyro is supposed to be a huge improvement. Before i buy this, i just want to make sure there is nothing better then this on the market, or coming out soon. Id hate to buy it then a month later something better is out. What do you guys think?

i been looking to get into a rc dirtbike for a while. I had a radioshack ricky carmichael when they came out, still have it actually. I loved that thing. So much fun to play with. But one day the electronics just stopped working and i could never figure it out.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:30 PM
j0e331

Default RE: Best rc dirtbike

Just ordered the atomik MM450. haha. Got the last one from amain hobbies too
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
JohnnyMacDad

Well I got the VMX when it first came out and I just upgrade to the e-gyro for it. If I was just starting out, the MM450 is the best choice for someone living in the US, first because its a widely supported bike here in the states and second, with some some tuning it will run great. Just check out the mm450 videos on youtube of it running on a track. Consider a big bore shock and front brake kit in the future. Welcome to the rc dirt bike club and enjoy!
John

Old 11-04-2012, 02:44 PM
j0e331

Thanks for that post.

i actually have been watching a lot of videos on youtube about this thing and it just looks like so much fun. And im a huge motocross guy, raced for years and i used to have some cheaper motorcycle rc's when i was younger and even they were a blast

the mm450 will be at my door on thursday and i am super excited to take it out. Too bad the cold weather will be here soon so i wont have much time to use it, but i had some plans for it over the winter. I want to paint it so it looks more realistic and probably upgrade to the front brake kit
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
JohnnyMacDad

Right on. I love hearing guys that are really into mx get into the hobby. I did a Ryan Villopoto replica about 2 yrs ago and am going to do a 2012-13 version this winter hopefully when the weather gets crappy. The Deegan graphics are decent if your into that. Way better than previous VMX version.  You have a particular bike in mind? Just an fyi if your not familiar with rcgroups.com , there is a pretty big discussion on the bike over there in motorcycle forum. Check out my website and facebook page if interested.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 AM
The Saylors

So i know this thread is a little old but i was wondering what the current options are for nitro dirt bikes? I had the McGrath bike as a kid as well and i literally ran it till the rider had no arms or head lol balance became a problem, soon after the drive wheel seized. I would really like to have a nitro version but hobby grade of course. Also something on the tougher side. I have a dirt bike track so this thing will be in the air lol. As a side note i am well versed in rc everything so kits are not a problem. Money isn't an issue

Last edited by The Saylors; 05-20-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:15 PM
simpliciter

I just bought a skyrc SR5. Was also looking at the Kyosho NSR500 kit but I kinda wanted a dirtbike more. Still might pick up the NSR sometime just because it's a kit and not very expensive.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:34 PM
The Saylors

Let me know how you like that bike! It seems like there are little to no options out there so i would like to hear about it before i pull the trigger and get one. Ya a street bike seems kinda pointless to me, feels like it would get boring pretty quick.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:48 PM
simpliciter

I will, as of now still waiting. It looks like it should get here this week! Maybe tomorrow, must stop thinking about it. Haha I can't! I've been reading more about rc bikes in the meantime. This website seems pretty awesome and sells competition level RC bike kits http://2wheelhobbies.com/index.php
Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 AM
The Saylors

It does seem like they had a lot to choose from but the dirt options are mostly out of stock I guess there just aren't enough interested people out there to justify a few rtrs and kits
Old 07-14-2016, 10:35 AM
simpliciter

Yeah seems like there isn't really any competition or "serious" offerings for offroad. I got my SR5 yesterday though! It is pretty awesome! Only 2 runs on it so far, one with the included 6cell 3000 nimh, and one with a 2s 5000 lipo (BARELY fits). It's not exactly fast with the nimh, about the same as a brushed RC buggy with a nimh. The 2s lipo really woke it up. First trigger pull on asphault made it do a hard wheelie which somehow caught the rear of the lexan body on the asphault which took a piece off and cracked it near the body post . New bodies are 12 bucks. Might have to put some spare parts on order sooner than later. Then I took it out on the grass and accidentally went end over end a couple times when hitting some bumps, which managed to bend the metal bars underneath the rear of the body up quite a bit and made the crack in the lexan bigger. Bent it back down fairly easily. Other than that it seems pretty stout. The entire chassis is metal, the rear shock seems to work very well. The front fork spring doesn't really do much unless you land directly on the front wheel. Driving it definitely has a bit of a learning curve. Sharp turns are not easy. Also you are a bit limited in how far you can lean it with the crash barriers on the side installed. I probably will leave them on though in order to not trash the body and rider. I have not manage to lose the riders head like I've seen happen in a lot of videos, instead he came partially unglued at the torso but I think I'll leave it that way because that area is going to take a hit every time it lands on it's head. Also a nice feature is that there is a spring in the chassis that absorbs the shock of hitting something with the front tire.

One weird discovery is I think the battery box sides have bent themselves out slightly even though I didn't hit anything hard head on, and they seem too stiff to bend that easily. It's possible they were that way to begin with and I didn't notice. They are separate from the main chassis so it shouldn't matter I guess. The main motor pinion and main gear are exposed which makes me a bit nervous they will get trashed from debris. Wouldn't want to run this in fine gravel. There appears to be no grease on those gears and the manual doesn't tell you to put any on there. The chain seems to be lightly oiled, again no mention in the manual of whether you are supposed to oil it.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:21 AM
simpliciter

So I had an issue on my 3rd run. The gyro wouldn't start up. I was hoping it was an issue of electrical contact between the rear wheel and the metal brackets that run up to the gyro ESC and this was correct. I got the gyro to work again after taking the rear wheel off and then reseating it. I am worried about the reliability of this setup. After just two runs the contacts look worn and also I appear to have somehow slightly bent something, either the rear axle or frame because the chain is rubbing against the rear tire. I have not taken this thing off a single jump, the worst that has happened is tumbling end over end a couple of times on grass as I hit the transition from baseball diamond to grass. Doesn't add up with the videos I've seen of people thrashing this bike with no apparent issues. I am going to put some dialectric grease between the contact points and the brass bushings that go into the rear wheel and hope that helps it not get messed up again but I just don't see how this bike is going to last long with the way the electricity is conducted to the gyro. I guess if worse comes to worse I can replace the rear wheel with one from another bike without the gyro or just run it with the gyro free wheeling but I'd expect this after years not two runs.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 AM
The Saylors

That was my concern with those. The metal that they use must not be machined, pot metal is tragically bad. I remember as a kid i had the ricky charmichael bike (i think that was the one) and i thrashed that plastic toy grade for almost a year before the rider was only a set of legs with a waist lol. I have heard of gyro issues being common on some of those and there being an upgrade to remedy it but it has been a while since i have done serious research into the matter and honestly cant remember. Sucks you are having such lame issues right off the bat.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 PM
simpliciter

Okay so I got it all back together with a bit of dielectric grease in the back wheel contacts and some silicon grease on the front sprocket. rear wheel re-seat and chain reassembly (which was a major pita) seems to have solved the chain rubbing problem and the gyro problem. I'm hoping the reason it originally quit and wore down so bad is because they had over tightened the outside bolts. This bike is a blast as long as it keeps working. Really fast on 2s, probably 30 mph. I had a couple hard flips from hitting bumps and broke the rider in half where he was starting to come apart at the waist which should be no biggie to glue back together. I really hope it keeps working lol. Oh also my battery cover clip somehow fell out so I had to quit after like 10-15 minutes and my 5000 2s was at 3.9 per cell.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:08 PM
dammachines
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for a nitro dirt bike there's only one option, the AR Racing bike. http://www.rc-motorradshop.de/produkte/arxnitro/

There are a few choices for electric, but not many and they usually don't stick around very long...

Dave
Old 08-05-2016, 08:44 AM
The Saylors

I think that is the one that i have seen in a few you tube vids. sure is pricey x.X
Old 10-19-2016, 04:37 AM
dammachines

You did say money wasn't an issue.

I'm not sure how the rest of the r/c hobby is going these days, but it seems that bikes are in a bit of a slump lately. I don't think we'll see any new off road bikes (especially nitro) in the near future.

Last edited by dammachines; 10-19-2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:45 PM
dammachines

Here you go, I found one for sale: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2763954