Notices
RC Motorcycles Discuss RC Motorcycles here

Hobbyking or Himoto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Coopz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbyking or Himoto?

Hey was looking at buying a budget 1/4 dirt bike. both the FS/Hobbyking SuperRider and the Himoto/Ironside MX400 look like the bikes (for the price). The brushless MX400 I can get RTR with lipo batteries for $300 but the Super Rider is $400 with shipping and battery. I know the Super Rider has front oil filled shocks but the MX400 just uses springs (looks a bit rougher on the dirt).
Any one recommend either? Can find lots of videos on both but little in the way of technical reviews.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 PM
JohnnyMacDad

Hey Coopz, did you know the SR4 comes with an e-gyro (electric gyro) in the back wheel, where the Himoto MX400 uses a mechanical gyro. Different in general between e-gyro and mech gyro is night and day. Egyro runs continuously so bike is stable entire time where a mech gyro requires you to have space to get the bike speed up for a few seconds as the back wheel gets the gyro inside spinning. I have not heard enough from owners of either bike to give you advice on one or another. One thing to consider is parts availability. The himoto you can get parts from what is it, NitroRCX I think, then Atomik is now selling himoto so they have some parts it appears. There is even another bike that's sort of new, the ZD Racing Phantom400, which is basically a re-release of the Quantum QRF400 that Hobbyking used to sell a couple years ago. Unfortunately no distributors for it, but that bike is based on the ARX540, so some parts are interchangeable. Its a shame Atomik abandoned the MM450 (now discontinued) or I would say that bike. After enjoying the e-gyro I can say I will never go back to a mech gyro unless Im seriously desperate, and I hope its never that bad. You could get the Himoto, then find the SR4 e-gyro with back wheel/swingarm maybe and Ive seen a youtube video of that so its doable if you want that option in the future.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Coopz

Originally Posted by JohnnyMacDad
Hey Coopz, did you know the SR4 comes with an e-gyro (electric gyro) in the back wheel, where the Himoto MX400 uses a mechanical gyro. Different in general between e-gyro and mech gyro is night and day. Egyro runs continuously so bike is stable entire time where a mech gyro requires you to have space to get the bike speed up for a few seconds as the back wheel gets the gyro inside spinning. I have not heard enough from owners of either bike to give you advice on one or another. One thing to consider is parts availability. The himoto you can get parts from what is it, NitroRCX I think, then Atomik is now selling himoto so they have some parts it appears. There is even another bike that's sort of new, the ZD Racing Phantom400, which is basically a re-release of the Quantum QRF400 that Hobbyking used to sell a couple years ago. Unfortunately no distributors for it, but that bike is based on the ARX540, so some parts are interchangeable. Its a shame Atomik abandoned the MM450 (now discontinued) or I would say that bike. After enjoying the e-gyro I can say I will never go back to a mech gyro unless Im seriously desperate, and I hope its never that bad. You could get the Himoto, then find the SR4 e-gyro with back wheel/swingarm maybe and Ive seen a youtube video of that so its doable if you want that option in the future.

Thanks for the reply I think I will go for the Hobbyking model as a few people have said the electric gyro is light years ahead of the mechanical. Thanks so much for the reply, helped clear a few things up for me
Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM
dutdutuk

The SR4...... check parts availiability in your country first! I have to go to china to get any parts for it which can be a royal pain.