RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Motorcycles (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-motorcycles-232/)
-   -   Radio Shack Dirtbike (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-motorcycles-232/1931409-radio-shack-dirtbike.html)

Linfield 06-24-2004 10:46 AM

Radio Shack Dirtbike

I was looking around on the radioshack site and I found a rc dirtbike looks really cool and I was wondering if anyone here has tried them?? The link is [link=http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT LG%5F006%5F005%5F002%5F002&product%5Fid=60%2D4353#]here[/link] well look at it for your self and tell me what u think. If I get some good feed back I gonna order one. One more question how fast is 1760 feet per minute in metric?

Dr.ArmoMaxx 06-24-2004 12:51 PM

RE: Radio Shack Dirtbike

ORIGINAL: Linfield
One more question how fast is 1760 feet per minute in metric?

1200 MPH

iliketobreakthings 06-24-2004 03:29 PM

this doesnt seem right for a radio shack car but my calculations equal to 20 mph.. heres my equation...

1760 (ft covered in 1 minute) X 60 (minutes in an hour) = 105600 ( ft covered in 1 hour)

105600 ( ft covered in 1 hour) \ 5280 (feet in a mile) = 20 mph

20 mile/hour (mph) = 32.18688 kilometer/hour

looks like a cool bike... especially if it can go 20 mph

Linfield 06-25-2004 10:23 AM

That seems about right 20mph it looks really cool I think. So I guess no one has tried one oh well I think i'm going to pick one up. I'll tell u how it workds out

Phil B 06-26-2004 05:38 AM

Havn't seen one run, looks like a blast.Collector's item if you believe ebay postings, lots of RS stores still have them here.

humanmachinehead 06-29-2004 11:06 AM

I have one simular to that, i got it a couple years ago at toys r us, it was a blue one, looks almost identical to that one, mine sucks, and it damn sure doesn't go 20 mph, but that one might be different, so idk

rcbiker 07-04-2004 12:04 PM

All I can say is that they do not run for a lone time,about3 to 4min. Ken

Linfield 07-04-2004 04:16 PM

if with a 3000mAH packs? it takes a standard 7.2v with Tamyia connectors

rcbiker 07-04-2004 06:03 PM

With 3300 pack

bajan_dread 07-15-2004 04:13 PM

I know this is a little late but I was given one for Christmas by my wife. I was kinda excited to pull it out and play with my kids on that day since I purchased them a couple of MTs to play with as well. Well i dont know if it was the circustance or what but the boxes claims you will have hours of fun. I only got 5 minutes of funk outta the thing, mind you i was very disappointed and returned her back to radio shack that following week for a full refund. They wanted to know what the issue was, I said the signal ended past 15 feet.. The sales person tried to make me believe not knowing I do this as a hobby they all dont operate past that rang, so I just looked at him dumbfounded as he tried to hand me another used one. So bottomline is I wasnt pleased at all with its proformance.

elkiwi 07-15-2004 05:08 PM

If you are talking about the honda 250 Ricky Carmichael edition, let me tell you that is the most well made off road bike I have never drive; I enjoy very much it if you want to see it in action check the review in www.wildhobbies.com its wonderfull

Balact Man 07-17-2004 10:58 PM

I too own one (ricky carmichael dirtbike) and it was soooooo slow I had no choice but to fix it. I gutted the beast and installed a novak discovery II esc, an ofna servo (50 oz), and a traxxas receiver. I replaced the shock with an old traxxas shock. Lastly, I soder the motor that came in the beast to this new setup. The reason i had to use the stock motor is due to the spur gear and pinon gear, really weird stuff. Now this thing flies and my battery life has tripple. It is now 3/4 lb's lighter.

RC4 12-25-2004 08:48 PM

Would it be possible to run this thing with a 7.2V LiPo?

I just got one for Christmas and the manual does say it will do 20mph.

I haven't tried mine yet, cause the batteries are charging.

godin1317 01-04-2005 07:01 PM

My brother inlaw got one for xmas and it was a lot of fun to use. It was difficult to control at first but gets better as you drive it more. He liked it so much he bought a second one but within 2 weeks of use the steering went on one and the drive went on another so they dont seem to last.

chase044 01-06-2005 01:42 PM

my friend has one with a 12t orion modified motor and some other nice stuff in it and it is very fast and seemed to handle good. we took it on my dirt bike track for my real bikes and it was pretty cool...it didnt clear the jumps but it was pretty cool. my track was just groomed so there wasnt any rutts or anything....but with that motor and stuff it was fast. on the street in had to do atleast 30 or more..my friend did say he had to make some custom parts b/c of the motor...he also hasnt had any drive train problems yet...

puttputt 01-06-2005 10:29 PM

I've been flying for years, but never a bike. My brother gave me a ricky for xmas, 4 of us jumped in the jeep and followed it down the road, about noon xmas day, no traffic,20 mph on the nose! Just sit in the pass seat and swing ricky by the head to launch. then read instructions: do not pick up by the head!! there is a big stainless screwhead that interferes with the steering arm, I'll have to grind it down. went a good half mile down the road, don't know how well my bro had charged it. Was suprised how worthless it is on the lawn, no damping. thats why we took it down the road! the weather in VT has put it on the shelf for now. Don

Balact Man 01-13-2005 09:53 PM

i see[8D]

SteveON 02-27-2005 07:08 PM

I bought one of these things last week from Radio Shack. It runs ok but the handling sucks!! I drive it primarily in the street in front of my appartment complex (hardly any traffic and when there is it's like 5 mph). It's all I can do to keep it between the curbs. it seems to have way to much play in the steering. I cut down the sterring spring like some had suggested on another site but that didn't seem to help either. When I get ready to turn it around it has to slow down so much it goes down on the side wires. Of course the gyro is still spinning in the back wheel so if you gun it will be back up on it's wheels. Has anyone came up with a better way to make it steer? If I can get the steering fixed I'll work on making it a little faster.

cenmt2 03-06-2005 03:28 PM

Here is a few pics of ricky on track, also a vid at the bottom of the page
http://tom.kat.free.fr/ricky/

tman52748 07-11-2005 12:38 PM

I just picked one up from Radio Shack because I love tinkering. Got it on sale for 64.97 and they gave me a free battery and charger (a $30 value). Guess it was part of the promotion. Not bad, even if it isn't that great.

nedMX 08-19-2005 07:04 AM

i know this is old but how hard is to retro fit good electronics into one of these? also, what size motor do they use?

markoal123 08-19-2005 07:31 AM

It's quite easy to upgrade Ricky. You'll need a hi-perf 540 (I'm currently running a 19T Double Trinity with adjustable timing) motor at the bare minimum. The stock motor is a high torque 550 size (which I have yet to find a direct replacement for). The 540 pushes it better than stock, and Iv'e tried 12, 13, 14 & 15T pinions (Robinson Racing gears) and am currently using a 13T with good acceleration (occasionally will flip over wheelieing off slight bumps!) and good top speed. I wouldn't recommend trying to get a ton of RPM for top speed as the plastic mounts for the rear wheel gyro will melt and break off (as they spin at 6x wheel rpm). Get a good speed controller too so you can run any motor you want..

I use Epic 3000 packs with Deans connectors. I put in a Traxxas 2055 Steering servo (had to sandwich between two flat pieces of plastic I epoxied to the servo) with a small Dubro servo saver and a direct steering link (which works great). I bought a Kyosho Perfex receiver (installed in the rear tray) cheap because I had a Kyosho Mini-Z Transmitter with dual rate hanging around. I recommend the Revo rear shock (19lb. gunmetal spring) and installed Traxxas Stampede front helper springs on the forks with shock socks. I can't see any more improvements being needed at the moment except to lighten the chassis and wait for someone to come up some machined parts. Let me know and I can send you pictures of the finished Ricky. ( I have 3 others I am going to try different motors on when I get the time). Good Luck!

Mad Wax 08-19-2005 05:15 PM

Is the Ricky bike available in the UK? Looks like a blast :-)

nedMX 08-19-2005 06:10 PM

i just found these sites where guys are maching alloy swingarms, USD forks, Chain and sprockets and alluminising and ball racing the rear gyro setup. how long are your runtimes with that setup?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=26&pp=15

Mad Wax 08-19-2005 06:47 PM

I've got a complete set of FG Marder shocks (short and large) I've read a shock upgrade help. Will these fit?