RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Motorcycles (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-motorcycles-232/)
-   -   Venom GPV-1 Newbie Guide (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-motorcycles-232/9720648-venom-gpv-1-newbie-guide.html)

grimgard 05-08-2010 11:59 PM

Venom GPV-1 Newbie Guide

1 Attachment(s)
I recently bought a Venom RTR GPV-1 and have learned a lot in the last few days and figured I would pass on what I have learned to help others who are new to RC's or New To the GPV-1. Out of the box the GPV-1 needs going over and making a few adjustments to get it working the way it was intended.

[ul][*] Check the top body and see if its touching the front forks (my body was) and trim it back so it clears it with plenty of room.[*] Trim the Body around the spur gear (the big one) so it does not rub.[*] Center your Raido steering to neuntal and take the servo horn off the servo and recenter it. [*] Adjust the two springs on the steering rod so that they have equal tension and will center the steering after turning left and right.[*] Lay the rear shock all the way forward (down)[*] Adjust the rake (front forks) all way back (down)[*] Check the front wheel and make sure it spins freely (had to grease mine)[*] Check every bolt and screw to make sure they are tight[*] Replace all the grub screws with better quality grub screws and secure with Blue Locktight (do not overtighten)[*] Softed the rear shocks by adjusting the spacer up.[*] check the front shocks for loose caps (mine came out first run and leaked oil everywhere) and it can't hurt to rebuild them with 30wt oil to make them a tad stiffer.[*] Counter steer in a turn.[*] keep your speed up when turning and accelerate out of turn with a gradual throttle.[*] Run your bike in an industrial area/ school where there are large parking lots/ play grounds that have new asphalt (the fewer the rocks the better & no rocks are the best)[*] It took me 3-4 batteries to get good at driving it and after I had it all dialed in it drives like a dream. So stick with it and soon you will be driving like a PRO!
[/ul]

ehirobo ehirobo 05-09-2010 11:26 PM

RE: Venom GPV-1 Newbie Guide

Thank you for the headup!! The GPV are nice but you are right. They do need some work out of the box. But once sorted they are very enjoyable. :)

grimgard 05-09-2010 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check out my new work area! Built it this weekend [X(]

jb. 05-10-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: grimgard

[ul]
.[*] Counter steer in a turn.
[/ul]
Just curious about this one.
Have you set up your radio so when you turn left on the transmitter the wheel turns right? or have you set it up left/left and right/right???
Here is a thread that covers most of the basic things to do out of the box with the GPV-1.

grimgard 05-10-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jb.

Quote:

[ul]
[/ul]
Have you set up your radio so when you turn left on the transmitter the wheel turns right? or have you set it up left/left and right/right???
Here is a thread that covers most of the basic things to do out of the box with the GPV-1.

lol no!!! set it up normally counter steer while you are in a turn.

grimgard 06-04-2010 06:48 PM

bump...need sticky for this...getting PM's asking the same info .....

Custnam 07-09-2010 03:26 AM

Everything you said is so true. I thought it was just me. But these things are nowhere near RTR. I mean all the components are there. But theres so many things that arent right. Anyway I finally got mine all dialed in and then decided Im just not into RC the way I used to be. So Im selling my entire set up for 120. Thats the bike, radio, 2 batteries with mini deans, and a Dynamite ad/dc peak charger. Its in the ads if anyones interested. Thanks

stubbyphilips 08-30-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Hey Dude,
Are you still running the little bikes?
Do you want to meet up at NorCal sometime?
I can swing weekdays with a couple weeks notice.

grimgard 08-31-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: stubbyphilips

Quote:

Hey Dude,
Are you still running the little bikes?
Do you want to meet up at NorCal sometime?
I can swing weekdays with a couple weeks notice.
Yes I still have/run them but the on road track at Nor-cal hobbies is to tight for these bikes, and on weekends they have the tracks tied up with races. There is a huge smooth parking lot near by that I go to.o

gforce2448 10-04-2010 02:32 PM

I got one of these Venom bikes on a trade recently. Thanks for the guide. After getting it I went over the bike and made adjustments. Crashed it quite a few times my first time running it, but it was sure fun when I did have it up and going. I noticed though the wire guides would catch on the pavement when making corners, causing the bike to lose its balance sometimes. The parking lot wasn't real smooth but was decent. Do any of you not use the wire guides? They don't help to restart when I lay it over, so I don't see the point of having them except to save the body a little. My bike got pretty scratched up but nothing broken. To me they seem pretty durable.I want to create a new paint/paint scheme and upgrade to brushless and the brake kit but I will wait until I am really good and driving the thing. Until then I will keep practicing.

Disposable Hero 10-09-2010 12:45 PM

Most people do run the wire guides, but like you they greatly limit the bikes mobility...best thing to do is either modify yours(bend them upwards) or make a custom set that are shorter.....you definately want them though...

whipnet 10-09-2010 12:53 PM

I noticed that the nylon ones slide much better over pavement, but they do wear out. They stopped making the ones I use, so I had to order some nylon rods and make my own.

http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/gpv-1.crash.bars.html

bud03420 02-03-2011 04:50 PM

i found i had to do his i couldent drive it the other way

dose anybody have a good reccommendation for a brushless system for this bike

also can you run a lipo with the stock esc and motor

just got mine from craigslist 2nd time out what a toy i think im getting the hang of it a big parking lot is a must for begginers

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jb.

Quote:

[ul]
[/ul]

momogt 02-06-2011 08:14 PM

inhave never owned a rc bike but im thinking about getting one will a 540 motor wrk in the gpv or will you need a smaller brushless

bud03420 02-07-2011 04:26 AM

no in the gpv1 it has a 370 stock

grimgard 09-09-2011 02:17 PM

No Sticky? [X(]