Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nitro Short Scourse Beast Build Up, SC10GT

A builld up of one beast of a nitro powered short scourse truck.

Here is my build of a SC10GT.

Wel my build all started when took a trip to my local hobby shop. www.bluegrasshobbies.com/bg/catalog/ I asked Todd if he had any old nitro stadium trucks. A some what hopped up Staduim Maxx, I call it the PhatMAXX, was the only nitro RC I had. I kinda wanted a RC10GT. Had the Idea of building an all aluminum shielf queen. A week or so later he brough out a busted up RC10GT2. Both front arms and the front shock tower was gone. But not all is lost. It's a factory team kit truck with an OS .12 TZ on it. It had belong to an Associated sponsored driver, that had passed away. He didn't say who he was but some of the T3 bodies I got, that belonged to the same person, had Big D on them. He shot me a price and i jumped on it. Didn't take any pics before I started on it, but here it is after digging through my parts bin.

A little while later I decovered that Team Associated had reliesed the SC10GT. It got me thinking. Can I build one. I already have a lot of SC10 parts boxed up. Body, bumpers, wheels and tires... Did some research and all i was needing was a few more parts. Well back to the hobby shop I go. Had to back order a few of the parts because well they just hadn't been out long enough. While waiting for the parts I ordered up a few more goddies. RPM arm, rod ends, spring cups and front shock tower. Integy bulk head, kickup, steering, and tranny case. Robinson Racing diff., and idler gear. All RC10GT2 parts.
    Everything is in and here we are. A near ready to race SC10GT.

Though I like what I have here, I'm not yet done. Here some differint wheels and tires. With the body all the way up, only the crawler tires rub. Going to try out 8th scale buggy wheels and tires some time later on.

A little bit of bling, RPM parts, and Factory Team blue tuned pipe.

I am not a racer, I'm a basher. I'm taking off the OS 12TZ engine and diching the starter box. It's listed on ebay now.

I want an easy start system. I've seen a Traxxas TRX 3.3 on GT and GT2 trucks using a rustler or jato header pipe. So why not the SC10GT. I fitted up the engine from my maxx and it will work fine as long as you keep the stock gt2 fuel tank. I have opt. for the lager 150cc fuel tank. Picking it up Tuesday. Now the starter motor is in the way. I scrached my head then went back to talk with Todd at the hobby shop. He told me about the Losi TEN-T. I looked it up and bingo. The starter motor is on the other side of the engine. A 3.4 engine with a remote start in a small block foot print. Sonds like a winner to me. It's on its way. Along with a second new engine that may find its way on the Maxx. Going to try out a XTM Exhaust Header for the X-Cellerator 1/10 Nitro. I hope every thing fits.

Now you going to have to wait a little longer for the rest of the story. It's a work in progress.
    Pasts list and more pics coming soon.
    Any and all comments and sugestions are greatly welcomed.

SC10gt, RC10T3, TMaxx, Rustler, Slash 2wd, Slash LCG 2wd, Monster Jams Grave Digger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Nitro Short Scourse Beast Build Up, SC10GT

Team Integy

Alloy Front Bulkhead for Associated GT2 T7829SILVER

Alloy Tranny Case for Associated GT2 T7833SILVER

Alloy Castor Block for Associated GT2 T7823SILVER

Alloy Front Chassis Kickup for Associated GT2 T7828SILVER

Steering Saver + Bell Crank w/ B.B. for GT2 T7832SILVER

Rear Hub Carrier for Associated GT2 T7831SILVER

Alloy Rear Arm Mount B for Associated GT2 T7830SILVER

Alloy Steering Block for Associated GT2 T7822SILVER

Alloy Rear Arm Mount for Associated GT2 T7826SILVER

Alloy Camber Link Mount for Associated GT2 T7827SILVER

Billet Machined Front Skid Plate for Associated SC10 2WD T7855SILVER

Rest of the parts coming soon
    SC10gt, RC10T3, TMaxx, Rustler, Slash 2wd, Slash LCG 2wd, Monster Jams Grave Digger

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice start I've got 2 losi xxxnt's 1 racer 1 basher with stock engine and no breaks LOL   I also have a revo 2.5r that I beefed up and put a Picco .21 in it.  So in the future would like to put the 2.5 into the xxxnt it'll be heavier will have to mess with engine brackets etc etc but hey thats the fun part about this hobby experimenting trying new things ..    Looking forward to seeing pics when your done let me know how that ez start works also sumthing I'm considering when I building my losi xxx 2.5 rnt lol
    Drive it like ya stole it !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The traxxas ez start uses the same wiring harness. To use the TRX 2.5r i would keep the R.O.S.S system. My guess is that the engine end plate of the 2.5r is very close the the TRX3.3 engine. You might be able use the losi ross starter motor. Order the end plate for the losi 3.4. Should bolt right up to the 2.5r. I ment the other way. Put a Losi 3.4 on my PhatMaxx. Use the trx3.3 end plate on the losi 3.4 engine so that i could kee the traxxas EZ start motor. Had to mechine a little off so the the pistion will clear, and put a little JB Weld in the top cut out to seal it. Cant remember what header pipe i use though. Got it tuned in and it runs great. The losi 3.4 seem not to have to run as hot or have to tune as much as the TRX3.3.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Got this thing all layed out on my table. Working on the finale build. Make a couple changes and may lose the remote start system. Have trouble getting ti to work with my controller and can spare the $160 or so for the Losi controller. Starter Motor starts and stops at random. I'm taking pics as i go along and soon hope to have the beast finished real soon. getting real pretty out there and Im getting Nitro Fever.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Awsome ty vy much for the info now I know what I`ll b getting into.

Drive it like ya stole it !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hope the info helps and it works out for you. Just about got the SC10GT into a roller. Got a few other projects going too. Converting the old Ladies' Slash 1/10 2wd to brushless. 11.1v and 8.5t should be plenty fast enough. Also working on building my son a 2wd LCG Slash. Same electronics as the g/fs truck. Got a electric stampede in the works. As well as futher modin' my Stadium Maxx (Phatmaxx). One of these days I'll do a post for each truck.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Going to be listing some items on ebay so that I can hopefully get enough money together for the Spektrume radio. Deside I really want the remote start and telemetry. Kinda undesided on what kinda setup I want to do on the SC10GT. Too many nice shinny aluminum parts to want to bash a lot. I'm sure it wouldn't be real competitive on the track with out a lot of tuning or if I could even find a class to run in. Will most likely stay on the black top and maybe do some drifting. Who knows. Itstarted out just wanting another nitro truck and turned into a full on custom build, with a year gathering parts in it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well got the ross remote start working with my flysky gt3b controller. 3rd channel Dualrate and exponential set at 0 and trim set full forward. Push the channel 3 button it comrs on push it again it goes off. Working great and reliable. But its installed on my tmaxx right now. Having some trouble trying to figure out how to install the battery and ross system on the sc10gt. Thinking real hard about making my own topplate/radio tray. Hooking up the slide carn is a bit of a bugger anyway. So relocating the brake/throttle servo would help, maybe. Might have trouble with the break then. I have turned the servo around and that has helped some. Atleast it works anyway. Seem to bind a little.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the SC10GT is up and running. Breakin was done today. Ran another tank after that and it pretty hot. My tmaxx couldn't keep up. Going to start fine tuning in the morning. Did the break in with stock wheels and traxxas slash stock tires. Was able to brake it lose pretty easy. Had a lot of under steef if I came in hot on a curve but with a quick stab at the break then back on the throttle and it would drift around the bind nicely. These tires wouldn't be all that good for the track but fun bashing. After I change to 12mm hex I am going to use stampede front wheels and tires for my bashing. Wouldn't hurt to rebuild the shock. I'll be taking it and the PhatMAXX out this weekend and see if I can break something. If I can get some vids and pics I'll post them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Be gentle with those Integy parts.....they're known for being made of less than stellar material.....I'm doing something similar for racing, but I have an RC10T4 Factory Team as a parts truck....Have fun.
    Custom Works x3....SC10 FT.ADX, Custom E-Maxx,Losi modified LST2, LST2, NTC3, RC10T4 Oval, RC18T and a lot of other junk.....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well it was either Integy or GPM. Couldn't afford the higher end aluminum parts. Plus it seems most of the higher end GT2 aluminum parts have been discontinued. Hoping that keeping with RPM arms, F/tower and factory bumpers, r/tower I'll have enough give not the break anything to soon. Not going to do any real hardcore bashing with it, but hanging on to the factory plastic for back up. My tmaxx is what gets the beatings. Every time i drive it, I break it. Got two blown shocks from yesterday.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey there,

Ijust recently bought a Sc10gt and am in the process of trying to improve my car.. this is an top end build for this car and your car looks amazing. I was curious how much does the car weight? comapred to stock now with all the alloy and aluminum replacements and bigger fuel tank. and is there anything you can suggest to me for this car?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I would not get the aluminum front skid plate. I bent it with in 20 minutes or so and now got the stock one back on. I couldn't tell you the difference in weight because I never had a stock one. I would get rpm bumpers arms and front shock tower. If you want aluminum get front kick up, top plate, tranny case, and rear arm mounts. Pretty much anything you can get for the RC10GT2 will fit the SC10GT. I am running a setup I found on the associate site. It runs and drives great but I have not had it on a track. Still tuning the engine but it already pulls the front wheels on command. Running stadium truck wheels and tires too. When I change to 12mm hex all the way around I will change to wheel and tires from a stampede, front wheels all the way round to get a wider track. I need to post some new picks now that I have it pretty much how I want it. Oh and a traxxas water prof servo will not hold up for the steering done stripped a gear in it. Have had to almost lock the slipper down. Got almost a full cm of thread showing. Anyway I'm being paged by the old lady. Going to see what she wants the put a sovix servo in and play some more. Have ran almost a half gallon in the past two days.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh one more thing get factory team turnbulkes conecting rods tue gpm ones I got have done been changed for the factory team one with rpm cups

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The truck has enough power that if I don't pull the front it will lay black marks on the black top. Thinking about lowering the gears so that it will break loss rather then pull the front wheels

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well thought i would give an update on the truck.

i have run about a 3/4 gallon through it done some tuning and so far happy as can be with it. Straight line speed is unreal. For the most part it keeps up with my son's LCG 2wd slash running a 2200kv 550 motor on 14.8v. Don't yet know how it would do on a track.

I have kept the Losi ROSS starter system and got it working just fine with my FlySky controller. I have had to replace the starter motor and one way bearing before putting it up for the winter. The black wire on the starter motor kept coming off. Soldered it on when i had replaced the motor. It was some what my fault that the starter motor smoked. Needs some kind of flood protection like the traxxas starter.

Future plans are to go with AKA wide SC tires with slash 2wd front wheels all the way round. That will give me a much wider track and help with traction rolls.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aka13011crf.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1954567
    I am runing the stock body right now for my bashing. The old JConcept body got chewed by a friends pit. Would have been a good video. Got a traxxas dodge body that I put on it when setting on the shelf.
    Last edited by SC10GTBeast; 01-05-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you are wanting some aluminum for your SC10GT head over to http://www.integy.com/st_main.html?p_catid=111
    I have been running there aluminum for a while and so far so good. I don't recommend aluminum arms or shock towers, stick with RPM.

Aluminum Transmission Case for under $10. I'm sure they do not have muck left.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    looks like you have got one hell of a sc10gt. lots of helpful info thanks keep posting and as I get mine up and running I will do the same thanks for the info.
    T-Maxx 3.3, HPI Savage x4.6, HPI MT2, SC10GT, Team Durango DESC410rv2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well it's been a long time since I have posted anything new about my SC10GT Beast, and I am sorry for that. It is dusty, dirty, and has been driven almost daily for the past 2 weeks, but it is late and don't much feel like cleaning it up. All the same here is some new pics and some updated info. The pics are links to a large image.

Every day bashing. The front sits lower then that once the shocks have cycled once or twice. Arms level up front and axles level in the rear.

Name:	10317626_10201636038057202_6788714509041921797_o.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	2001292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10443025_10201636042177305_8372991906632272526_o.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	2001293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10368309_10201636042537314_3323018850540814339_o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	2001294

Engine, had to add some spacers between the mounts and engine so that the starter motor would clear the tranny. Also had to grind a little off the chassis brace to clear the clutch bell.

Name:	10379847_10201636042697318_576491063608773025_o.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	2001295

Servo mounted 180 of stock to accommodate the slide carb.

Name:	10333737_10201636043337334_2529137766214713675_o.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	2001296

Battery under top tray behind steering servo.

Name:	10295067_10201636043777345_4837894309477833711_o.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	2001297

Front and rear Associated Posi lock. This was something I had not motioned yet. I had 46+ 2.2 wheels and tires with the GT2 rear posi lock mount. Making the front was pretty easy. Use knuckle, axle, and bearing from Associated 12mm hex like what is on the SC10RS. Grind the threads off the axles and sand the back of the posi lock mount until the holes line up. Has been very reliable once i started using solid pins in the rear. the roll pins just wouldn't hold up the the torque of the 3.4 engine. Once all the 2.2 stadium truck tires are worn out, I still plan to go to 12mm hex. I am thinking of maybe JConcepts Glock 2.8" tires and wheel or Duratrax Bandito ST 2.8" wheels and tires. Not sure if I will be using slash 2wd front or rear tires. Will have to take the 2.8" wheels and tires off my son's 2wd Slash and see witch will clear the new body. Another option is using AKA Wide SC on slash front wheels, that may still clear the body and give me a wider foot print.

Name:	10272765_10201636044937374_7869993616752780749_o.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	2001298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1795200_10201636045257382_4917124081631697253_o.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	2001299

Losi R.O.S.S. (remote start) and receiver along with the excess servo leads do fit in the receiver box.

Name:	10454101_10201636045617391_3719070427050978132_o.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	2001307

JConcepts 72 C10 Scalpel body trimmed and waiting for paint. I seen the body and just had to have it. Had always want the original scalpel body. I will be modifying the chassis skid plate that came with the RPM front bumper to use for the bumper for this body. Flip it over, turn it around and it makes for a nice flat spot for a peace of foam.

Name:	10452887_10201636046857422_677586446060255886_o.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	2001309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1956662_10201636047457437_2730502330280038092_o.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	2001310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10272729_10201636047897448_7052489924975416165_o.jpg 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	2001311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1956724_10201636048057452_8412067644538362651_o.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	2001312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1501045_10201636048337459_5221415182567661900_o.jpg 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	2001313

All in all I am still very happy with the truck.
    It is handling well and the only thing that has broke was the roll pins in the rear wheel mounts (solid pins now). I would like to have a tighter turning circle. It tends to nose over when jumping but I think that is me not knowing how to jump it well. Sometime I get a nice level flight if I let off just before it leaves a jump. Most of the time I am half throttle or less. Full throttle most often puts it on it's roof. Have yet to reach a top speed. I do not have enough weight in the front to keep it down. With in 30 feet or so the wind just blows it onto it's roof and slides another 30 feet or so..

I have a large church parking lot just next door and find myself over there with it more then I am in the dirt. It may soon be tuning for an on-road truck.If I lived closer to a track, I would love to be racing it, but the closes track I know of is better then 2 hours away.

Other planed mods are,

RPM SC10.2/T4.2 front shock tower and front arms.

Name:	73582.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	2001323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73515.jpg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	2001322

ProLine Pro-spec or Associate 12mm shocks
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	proline-short-course-truck-shocks.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	2001321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ascd9003_shocks_550.jpg 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	2001329
    FT VTS Slipper Conversion

Name:	91175_md.jpg 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	2001907

Front and rear 12mm wheel hex (stock SC10gt already has this)

Name:	6068-00-1.jpg 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	2001327Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2081.jpg 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	2001328

Duratrax Bandito ST, Picket ST or JConcepts G-locs 2.8" wheels and tires

Name:	dtxc3545-lrg.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	2001324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtxc3551-lrg.jpg 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	2001326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ljcoc3405.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	2001325

New Era GT2 Wheelie bar

Name:	gt23431__22372.1337367846.1280.1280.jpg 
Size:	354.9 KB 
ID:	2001330

I will try not to be so neglectful of this and post updates when I do make a modification. To be truthful I had forgotten about this forum until I had gotten an email about a reply.

I would love to hear what every one thinks of the truck and happy to answer any questions you might have. Post some pics of your SC10GT and tell me about it. Even post telling me about any other nitro short course truck you may have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10295289_10201636046017401_5974814075613828339_o.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	2001308  
    Last edited by SC10GTBeast; 06-07-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I just received mine not to long ago. So far I love it when its not getting to hot. I am on tank 10 and the stock needle setting is 2.5 turns out. I am at about 3.3 turns and the motor just keeps building heat so I richen it today while running got it to 4 turns out and still running really hot and then stalled because it was to rich. didn't have my temp gun handy so I did the water test and it just evaporated as soon as I sprayed it. I hope this is just the motor working into its break in. kinda bummed me out today I have been doing nitro ever since I was 16 and never had this happen. I also checked for air leaks and cant find any.... my last run I was set about 3 to 3.5 turns out and ran the full tank with out it leaning out but it was still really hot. Does this motor run that hot?
    T-Maxx 3.3, HPI Savage x4.6, HPI MT2, SC10GT, Team Durango DESC410rv2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have not used the stock Associated .18 engine that comes with the SC10GT RTR. I spent the better part of 2 years gathering parts for this build. Basically it was a "Look what I can do." My reasoning for choosing Loai 3.4 with R.O.S.S. was that I wanted the remote start. I was going to use a TRX 3.3 with EZ Start but the starter motor was in the way of the larger fuel tank. The Losi #.4 starter motor is on the other side of the engine. I had to add spacers (LOSR2140) to raise the engine up about 1/8" so that the starter motor would clear the tranny.

I would not be the best person to ask about tuning a nitro engine. I have only had experiences with 2 nitro engines. Traxxas 3.3 and the Losi 3.4. I do like this engine better then the TRX 3.3 engine. I don't seem to have to fiddle with it as much. In fact I put the same carb. that is on the 3.4 onto the 3.3 and it seem to hold tune better. I do know the Traxxas engine likes it hot. I am sure that if I took this truck to some one who really knew how to tune a nitro egnine, they would tell me I'm to lean here or to rich there. The battery died in my temperature gauge so I have been doing the water thing too. I have not had any trouble keeping it cool. I am running 20% nitro and a 20/56 gearing (pinion/spur).

If you are only ten tanks in then you are still breaking it in. I hope you have not been driving it hard. Slow down and run a couple more tanks through it. If that doesn't help, I would take the high speed needle out and inspect it. Is there grit or is it bent? How is the O-ring between the carb. and block? If it is still getting to hot then gear it down. speaking of gearing how is the gear mesh, is it to tight?

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast