Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Project SiNiST3R Jato Ground Up Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Project SiNiST3R Jato Ground Up Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:58 AM
Rac3rX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project SiNiST3R Jato Ground Up Build

I have been curious about the Jato since I got back into RC last year. However the people hating on TRX & the 3.3 kept me away. It looked too fragile for what it was doing going so fast. I got an itch a few months back for a Truck faster then My Savages & more dedicated to on road speed. I grabbed a Jato 3.3 RTR, been loving it ever since. So far the crowd of haters have all been wrong, this lil 10th scale has pushed through 2 Gallons only needing fuel and plugs, nothing else. At one point the clutch spring broke, but I fixed the spring reusing it and all is well. For how tough a Savage is it cost $$$$$ to replace stock garbage electronics during gallon number 1, on top of broken arms, stripped spur gear and other problems the Truck had stock. It was costly, but YES now its tough, where the Jato has cost me 0 repairs, twice the time, and Ive cartwheeled this truggy quite a few times, it eats it up.

So Ive maxed out the stock platform running 30% up to 63mph.

Keeping my RTR as close as possible to stock Ive begun building up a second custom Jato from the ground up. I plan to keep it Street Custom & Fast. I am not after any records, chassing them is too stressfull with all the BS that comes with it like breaking parts and Trolls micro analizing videos looking to discount anything they can. My goal is for a Jato running 70 to 80mph. I think that range is perfect. Enough to fend off the 70mph BL plug and play boys & most anything trying to run next to it. I believe I found the recepie with Revo Gearing spun by an OS21TM. It can be done with a modified 3.3 but since I cant buy the RBmofs 3.3 con rod, I wont put cash into modifying an engine with an already weak con rod. Goal is to run a modified OS21 to hit maximum rpms.

Since customizing RCs is what I like to do I figured might as well.build up a 2nd Jato as most stuff is getting hopped up. Ive been killing ebay and Liquid RC to source parts I almost have everything for a roller, just still waiting on parts in shipping.

TRX
Silver Light Weight Chassis
CVDs
HD slipper

Golden Horison Silver
alloy front Bulk
front shock tower
brake arms
front carriers
RPM bumper and arms all around, including turn buckle ends

Hot Racing
alloy C hubs, &rear carriers
Servo Saver steering assembly
rear shock tower
HS full gear kit with diff
Slipper mount

Lundsford
Turn Buckles
Hinge Pins

GMP
Alloy Shocks

Still a build in progress, I will post up pics of parts and mock up shots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0120.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	2236048

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	2236049

Here is of of the rims I will try.

Body will be a clear Jato painted gu. Metal Black with racing stripes more details pics and video coming soon

Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 PM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Project SiNiST3R Jato Ground Up Build

Can't wait to see how this thing turns out. Keep posting.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Rac3rX

Thanks. You and me both. Damn chassis, top plate & screws are taking forever to get here. Ill definitly update as things arrive and she goes together.

I at least can keep running my Stock Jato while waiting so I can get more familiar with the stock platform.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 PM
SLAYERDUDE

Looks like a giant piece of crap...
Shiny crap that is.

I thought the Jato was a M/T and not a truggy, Crappxxas don't make a truggy do they?
Or maybe that's the Revo that Traxxas calls a MT to try and mask a 1/2 truggy with one way front axles, so they could dominate the MT class, when it existed.
I've never run against a Crapxxas in the truggy class at the track, they just make them kid's short course trucks as far as I know.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM
Rac3rX

. Why so negative, and volitile? Relax... Sounds like you have personal issues....

Jato is not a MT or a Truggy and not repped as either lolololol Digging hard aint cha.... This is neithor the MT or Truggy section buddy so what exactly is your point.... Retorical, nobody cares anyways. I got a 8ight-T 2.0 RR for my Truggy but I dont have a Jato for the same.reason. The Jato is a Stadium Truck that has TC speed. I got to say after 2 gallons nothing broken or in need of repair that is better then my 2011 X that needed new servos before the first few tanks were done, TX and RX needed to be changed and broke the a arms soon after, then stripped a spur on stock mesh. It took me buying one to see how much more satisfaction I got for my money then when I bought HPI. IMO the Jato is Badass, since its my thread about a Jato, if you dont like the Jato, nobody is forcing you in the thread, many others to post in....

Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 AM
llkoolskillet

Haha, mister I'm going to tell you not to run alloy parts is building and alloy truck, way to go dude

I guess you got tired of trying to do prove a point with the savage that you had to drop down in scale

Remember you haven't really broken any parts on the jato because you just drive it in a straight line. Where as you were bashing the savage. There's a big difference.

Traxxas does have better electronics out of the box but nothing a FlySky can't fix along with some even better servos worth the money
Old 07-29-2012, 06:00 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

That is a sharp looking Jato, for sure. BUT.... If speed is your quest, Aluminum blingy parts are not the answer. Aluminum easily weighs twice as much as the plastic stuff, if not a tad more.

It will look killer either way, though..

I've not maxed my gearing out on my Jato, but I got 56mph on 20/12 fuel, 2 chamber resonator, unmodded 3.3, and 22/58 gears. I have 24/54 gears for it, and I can mix up a special "Jato" fuel for more kick if it needs it. I have CVD's on mine, and RPM everything else.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Rac3rX

"Mr Im going to tell you not to run alloy"?

Have you seen my trucks? Got plenty alloy, no alloy arms, but nuff still.

Nope, didnt drop scale on account of you, I did have a issue with the Savy, but its all fixed up now. I have 7 RC's and I dont concentrate on only one. I drive the Jato cause its stupid fast & Ive been wheelieing and flipped the truck sending it cartwheeling down the street. No I havent fence flipped it, but thats besides the point. The electronics on the Savage couldnt make it through break in, thats trash, an old problem and seems HPI doesnt care.... I love my Savages, dont get me wrong, but Im finding the HPI crowd a lil too fan-boy-ish calling Traxxas Crapxxas in a thread about a Traxxas truck is mearly instigative... Funny how Im the hatter, yet you fools keep following me around, little obsessed maybe....

Every aspect of Traxxas electronics smashes all electronics ever offered in a Savage. 2 gallons and still doing their Job. First RC out of 7, (4 of them are HPI) that dont need anything at all.. Keep in mind, Im building a 70 to 80mph Jato....

Anyways, keep your BS to yourselves, nobody cares if you cant get over your thread getting tossed at RC Tech, take it up over there. Following me around just shows everybody you are what you hate, a Hater...... Hi Hater, hate-on....
Old 07-29-2012, 06:17 AM
Rac3rX

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

That is a sharp looking Jato, for sure. BUT.... If speed is your quest, Aluminum blingy parts are not the answer. Aluminum easily weighs twice as much as the plastic stuff, if not a tad more.

I've not maxed my gearing out on my Jato, but I got 56mph on 20/12 fuel, 2 chamber resonator, unmodded 3.3, and 22/58 gears. I have 24/54 gears for it, and I can mix up a special ''Jato'' fuel for more kick if it needs it. I have CVD's on mine, and RPM everything else.
Thanks, yeah Im well aware of the alloy, and I know it would be faster without it. Im keeping a Jato fully stock and plan to compare weight when finished. Im removing much weight at the same time with Lunsford Hinge Pins and turn buckles, 10% lighter chassis that is also stronger. Lightweigt ball ends and RPM arms. I use RPM arms as my weak point, not sure how they weigh vs stock, but the rpm arms on my Savy are lighter then stock. After all is said an done Im sure to add a bit of weight, but thats nothing a modified OS21 cant handle. As I mentioned its not a record setter, just fast fun and tricked out.

Ive got my regular Jato up to 63mph so far, bone stock on 30% no lid and GPS on the truck, 65mph with the lid and no GPS is certainly possible and quite impressive for a lil RTR...

Dont pay attention to the Tools following me to cause crap... They are just obsessed with me, & cant help follow me everywhere I go.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Rac3rX

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I've not maxed my gearing out on my Jato, but I got 56mph on 20/12 fuel, 2 chamber resonator, unmodded 3.3, and 22/58 gears. I have 24/54 gears for it, and I can mix up a special ''Jato'' fuel for more kick if it needs it. I have CVD's on mine, and RPM everything else.
Thanks, yeah Im well aware of the alloy, and I know it would be faster without it. Im keeping a Jato fully stock and plan to compare weight when finished. Im removing much weight at the same time with Lunsford Hinge Pins and turn buckles, 10% lighter chassis that is also stronger. Lightweigt ball ends and RPM arms. I use RPM arms as my weak point, not sure how they weigh vs stock, but the rpm arms on my Savy are lighter then stock. After all is said an done Im sure to add a bit of weight, but thats nothing a modified OS21 cant handle. As I mentioned its not a record setter, just fast fun and tricked out.

Ive got my regular Jato up to 63mph so far, bone stock on 30% no lid and GPS on the truck, 65mph with the lid and no GPS is certainly possible and quite impressive for a lil RTR...

Dont pay attention to the Tools following me to cause crap... They are just obsessed with me, & cant help follow me everywhere I go.
I'm curious to see what the differences in weight are between the two, the speed, and moreso, the cost of the alloy jato versus the stock one. It will look nice. I look forward to seeing the project progress.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 AM
llkoolskillet

''Mr Im going to tell you not to run alloy''?

Nope, didnt drop scale on account of you, I did have a issue with the Savy, but its all fixed up now. I have 7 RC's and I dont concentrate on only one. I drive the Jato cause its stupid fast & Ive been wheelieing and flipped the truck sending it cartwheeling down the street. No I havent fence flipped it, but thats besides the point. The electronics on the Savage couldnt make it through break in, thats trash, an old problem and seems HPI doesnt care.... I love my Savages, dont get me wrong, but Im finding the HPI crowd a lil too fan-boy-ish calling Traxxas Crapxxas in a thread about a Traxxas truck is mearly instigative... Funny how Im the hatter, yet you fools keep following me around, little obsessed maybe....

Every aspect of Traxxas electronics smashes all electronics ever offered in a Savage. 2 gallons and still doing their Job. First RC out of 7, (4 of them are HPI) that dont need anything at all.. Keep in mind, Im building a 70 to 80mph Jato....

Anyways, keep your BS to yourselves, nobody cares if you cant get over your thread getting tossed at RC Tech, take it up over there. Following me around just shows everybody you are what you hate, a Hater...... Hi Hater, hate-on....
Hater? no one here calling you a hater, rctech thread thrown out... not because of me

Just think its strange that your quest for speed and you buying heavy alloy parts.

You think I followed you here, son i was here long before you.

How do you plan to hit 80mph with an alloy truck?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: llkoolskillet

''Mr Im going to tell you not to run alloy''?

Hater? no one here calling you a hater, rctech thread thrown out... not because of me

Just think its strange that your quest for speed and you buying heavy alloy parts.

You think I followed you here, son i was here long before you.

How do you plan to hit 80mph with an alloy truck?
No offense, but when I start seeing people throwing "hater" around and flaming and whatnot, I almost feel like I'm watching political ads on TV.

Personally, it sounds like the OP is compensating for the extra weight of the aluminum parts.. I dont know much about what aftermarket parts are available for the Jato as I will probably not do much more to mine other than maybe a big block and different gears.. What are the chances that the alloy jato ends up being within an ounce or two of a stock one? Wont know until its done.. We all would do things differently if it were ours, but this one aint ours.. So let him do it his way and save the chiding for later, eh?

I'm off the soapbox now.. carry on.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 AM
Rac3rX

Thanks.

Cost difference is substancial, including quality electronics and modified OS21. The roller is digging over 600$ so far. Its still far less then I put into other RCs. I dont recomend this to anybody on a tight budget. I quite drinking a few years back, and this hobby keeps me in check. With no more beer budget, no kids, I got time and funds to blow.

With a moded 3.3 running 79mph, Im confident a modded OS21 should be able to push over 70mph, how far will remain to be seen. Anything over 70mph is fine with me. I dont intend on chassing the 93mph (yeah 93mph) Jato record.... That is just too fast for my eyes to see, even 63mph she moves far fast, Im thinking about benoculars or a telescope to keep an eye on it so I can get it turned around & coming back at me.

100% its going on a scale. I am compensating for the weight of the alloy, and wont know where she stands till then. Jato is 10th scale with small parts, should be interesting. Might be fun to make a pole after with 4 different weight, a.d see how many get the right number.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Rac3rX

Old 07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Rac3rX

For anybodies viewing pleasure, here is a 93mph BB Jato & a 79mph Jato with a modified 3.3.... I dont intend on chasing this guys speeds down. Im just out to make a Fast Nitro pushing over 70mph.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3IErjkdH8Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4wDhcls7XQ[/youtube]

Ohh and Lipo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI6pDvee9_M

Jatos can be made to go fast..... Not "Fast for a Jato". In my "quest for speed" Im not shooting at a record, just enjoying going fast, with a fast RC... If ever I go for a record it will.be in a purpose built machine. I just like to have fun with my RC's & the Jato is one of my Fast ones. The RS4 & M8 both go over 60mph, but the Jato does it on crappy pavement the RS4 cant handle. My M8 is Lipo and I mostly use it in winter, but in all honesty its a bullet and while it only hits around 60mph on 3s lipo (would be faster no GPS as its just over 2lbs, my GPS adds a chunk of weight), it gets there so fast its insane. It also handles superb as long as your tires are good, but on 3s they dont last long. 2s over 40mph and she will be fast on a Track.

This is as close to a "Show Truck" I go. I wont build it if I dont intend on driving it, Ive gone for a custom Truck, and have a Stock Truck on the side. Im enjoying the build.

Thanks for any genuine interest in the build. Im still waiting on parts and have stuff still to order but its coming along nicely.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:22 PM
nastyboys727

you can get a alloy tranny case integy has them and the over all fit it great it brings your bling factor up thats not why i got mine i got it to hold my steel gears in place
Old 07-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Rac3rX

I have one from Integy for my Savy for the same reason. Integy is the only spot to meke them, not much choise. Problem on the savy is I cant pop out the gears to adjust the 1-2 shift, real PITA when playing with gearing. Im consideting one for the Jato for 2 reasons, one being the same as you, the other is for the rear shock tower, the plastic Im sure wont take much with an alloy tower. Good think its so small. Would blend out with the front bulk and definitly up the bling factor. Im still slightly on the fence over this one as I like avoiding Integy alltogether if I can. Not the best experience with stuff from them.

I have the HS gear and diff kit, did your tranny case give you problems with yours before you went alloy? I know some BB Jatos with HS gears and plastic cases running fine. Most often I can learn more from a problem.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Rac3rX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4hHv4i8xxc

Some action from my Stock Jato.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:10 AM
Rac3rX

Im hoping some parts come in today, mainly the Chassis & screws, so I can get to the Rolling Chassis Stage.

For electronics, Im going with Savox servos & a Flysky radio system.

Tires are a concern, Road Rage look good, but Id like more options. Speed runs will be done with Jaco foams but still need a good street tire for messing around, sugestions welcome, just I intend on keeping the 2.8 rim size except for 2.2 Jako foams that dont come in 2.8.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:19 AM
Rac3rX

Saweeeeeet. Chassis plate finally came in today with the top plate, when the screws get here, I can finally start putting it together.

And some mock up shots

Getting there taking my time, doing it right.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM
Rac3rX

Looks good, but Im going to paint the top plate tray.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Rac3rX

Old 08-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Rac3rX

Thats what I was looking for, the black just did no go with the rig.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:10 PM
nastyboys727

is that indy silver i smell
Old 08-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Rac3rX

Naw its Tamiya TS-17. Only in the first stage of paint. I spay it all, let it dry then sand it all down. Spay again and repeat until its all smooth and uniform color. Once done with paint Im going to hit it with Pactra Lacquer Racing Finish. The Lacquer will give it a shine and protect the paint from nitro & small scratches.

I like how its looking so far and should flow better when its all put together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.