Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Engine upgrade for traxxas jato

Alright so the engines dead, and id rather just get a completely new engine then to rebuild this one.
    So my question is should i get another 3.3 or what? I'm looking for speed but do not want to spend over 150$

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Engine upgrade for traxxas jato

what did your 3.3 do did it blow or just spent from use
    tru to this not new to this

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dead from use, it was my first nitro engine and got 10 gallons on it it was a soldier... i ran it alot full throttle not properly tuned and nothing ever happened

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would look for an OS Engine myself, having said that your budget may not allow for that. Here in Australia you pay twice as much for an OS over a TRX.  But you get quality. A guy I know has been running a 28xz from OS and swears by it. I had a 30vg untill recently and it was a trooper. How they compair to the 3.3 TRX I cant say, I have one but its yet to go into anything, probably wont in all honesty.
    Speed is just a question of money, How fast can you go?

Every K over is a thriller.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could i get some info from someone who actually knows what they're talking about...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not a fan of the 3.3. However, if you had such luck with it, why not go for it again..? Personally, i would probably be looking at the O.S. .18TZ. Traxxas does have the engine trade-in program. Be sure to keep your dead 3.3 and you can trade it in on a new one for just a tad over 100.00.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello, I have over 35 nitro rc cars, trucks, & buggies. I think your best best is gonna be to buy a new 3.3 and send it to Rex at rw mods to have it modded. Its $50 and you can just tell him you want it modded for high speed and he will accomodate your needs. You can get a new 3.3 without carb for about $100 on eBay, just throw your 3.3 carb on it, be sure to seal it though. OR there is a sweet OS Max 18 TZ [P]-T 11K modded by Greg Majeski for sale on eBay. Starting bid is $140 + $10 for shipping. It ends in 1 day 4 hours. Just do a search for "new os max 18 tz" and it will be the first thing that comes up. Hope this helps!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

He can trade his old 3.3 in, and get a whole new 3.3 WITH new carb for around 100.00. Why would he want to spend the same, buy from ebay, and have to use his old carb (which are prone to air leaks from my experience)? Also, the rods on the 3.3 are very weak. Unless you buy a stronger con-rod (Davis Deisel sells one), i would be very weary of modding that engine. I have had nothin but problems with those 3.3 engines. I have had experience with at least 20 different engines from various manufacturers in my 20+ years in this hobby, the 3.3 is the ONLY one that ever gave me any problems.
    T-Maxx, Savage X, Savage XS, MT2 18ss, Speedwing 250mk2, MS composite swift, GP Eagle 580, GP spitfire, Erratix, furion 450

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok hearing that about the 3.3, I agree with ejc34710! Just fyi, I buy from eBay all the time and never have problems. I didnt know the conrods were weak on the 3.3 and the carbs are prone to leak cause I dont run the 3.3, they seem cheaply made from mass production, you have 20 yrs exp, n I only have 3yrs, so knowing that ya I agree. Keep in mind that I currently own 35+ nitro rcs all with diff engines so I know quite a bit about nitro! I do respect you ejc34710 with your 20 years exp, thats awesome! Either send it for trade in at traxxas or get the os 18tz. Im not a fan of traxxas period so I would personally get the OS 18TZ. I do have a jato with a Hong Nor X18, which runs great.  It came from an ofna scrt10 short course truck. It required a little custom work to fit the clutch system, but works great. I race it every week with a bunch of guys who run the 3.3 on their jato. They all like the 3.3 and really have no problems with them. The OS would deff be the better engine though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I wish i had over 35 nitro rcs. [&o] Some people do have luck with the 3.3, such as the OP. I will say they make very good power when tuned right, could never get mine to hold that tune though. The carb problem, to be more specific, had to do with those stinkin plugs they screw into the carb (2 of them). If you ever take them out for whatever reason, they are EXTREMELY easy to to thread in too tight and it will strip the threads in the composite carb.

The problem is that there are not a whole lot of rear exhaust small blocks that i am aware of. A nice .21 would be good, but you would have to convert your Jato for BB use. I like OS 18 cvs, but imo they dont have the same umph as a 3.3 and are side exhaust.

My 20+ years in the hobby means nothing. You may very well know more than me. Was just pointing out that those darn 3.3s gave me quite a few problems.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the first 3.3 i had sucked massive d***, i only got another one because i needed a new engine and my buddy said he would give me his 3.3 sence he got a better engine. The one he gave me was a trooper, i gave that thing hell and it kept pushing. I'm probably gonna go with theO.S. .18TZ.
    And yes it is very easy to strip the threads, ive had to replace the carb body like 3 times
    I am also willing to convert it to BB if the .21 will make it go faster

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah a .21 will make it go faster, bear in mind though more power may equal broken parts. Dunno much about the jato or strong the drivetrain is. One thing about the OS 18tz i noticed. The slide carb version has a sealed backplate, so the only way to start it would be a starter box. The rotary carb version DOES have a pullstart. You would have to mess with your linkage to adapt it for rotary carb use. Is it possible to start your Jato with a starter box? Just wanted to mention that. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I currently use a pullstart to start my jato, dont know if a starter box will work. i'll do a bit of research. And what would be a good .21 to throw on it that wont shred the tranny to fast? but i did rebuild the tranny like a week ago so it should be good and strong.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have had 3 - 3.3's and have bad no problems with any of them. One was a bit tighter than the others and took longer to break in, but I still own 2 of the 3 and don't see them dying anytime soon. The rods hold up fine if they stay hot enough through break-in. I'd buy a 3.3, and my second choice would be a Dynamite .19T.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what about pipe? and air filter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xNitroAddictx

what about pipe? and air filter
    :this.className='popUpDivO n';'' onmouseout=''javascript:this.className='popUpDivOf f';'' class=''popUpDivOff'' ismouseover=''false'' id=''popUpDiv'' name=''popUpDiv''>
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    [img][/img]
    I have used a two chamber resonator for top end and a CVEC single chamber pipe for low end. A 2-chamber pipe will mimic a shorter single chamber pipe as the pressure wave will bounce back off the baffle/chamber separator. But I think the big ticket pipes are THS, Buku, and even the tunable CVEC pipes. My Jato has the 2-chamber resonator and the Rustler uses the CVEC. The CVEC is pretty loud.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    Using Dynamite, Enya, Fox, Jett, K&B, SH, Super Tigre, Thunder Tiger, and Traxxas engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

keep the 3.3, send it in to traxxas and they knock off $40 bones.

no doubt the 3.3 makes power.

if you wanted, check out the losi .20
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whats your opinion on the cvec? Did it increase performance? and how hard is it to tune and how long does it hold a tune? and has any pins came loose? also i cant find a website that sells them

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My CVEC is not one of the variable baffle pipes. It's a single chamber pipe designed for low rpm power. My Jato with stock 3.3 power ran 6-7mph faster with the 2-chamber resonator. THS and Buku pipes look sharp, but get out the wallet. $$$! The CVEC pipes are not made anymore afaik. The CVEC I have is much louder than the resonator if that matters.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3