Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

engine stalls when brake applied

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Tfrank3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine stalls when brake applied

I have a Duratrax Raze ST and whenever I try to either go in reverse, or slow the car down by applying the brake, the engine dies out and stalls. Is this due to my low idle speed being too rich, or is there another cause to this problem? The truck is completely broke in and this has been a persistent problem from the beginning. Disclaimer--be a little more specific than usual when giving advice or explaining how to tinker with something...I am new to the nitro rc world.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Cowboy420

The problem is that your idle screw is in to far, so when you hit the brake the carb is closing and killing the engine. You need to turn the screw so the carb is open 1mm when the brake is applied. Look in your manual for the diagram of the engine and it will tell you where the idle screw is. If you pull off the air filter you can see into the carb and check the size of the gap.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:01 AM
dee_the_narcotic

it may also be a broken clutch spring. my jato was doing the same thing on a perfect tune and my lhs found a snapped clutch spring. if tuning doesnt work it wont hurt to check.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:21 PM
ReMiXeDg

Most likely could be due to you hitting the brakes the carburetor is closing. Remove your air filter and when you apply brakes or come to a full stop try to see if your carb is open at least 1mm if not then you found your problem

Look at this picture for example:
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/qBZbpPpD4ag/maxresdefault.jpg
Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Cowboy420

Originally Posted by ReMiXeDg
Most likely could be due to you hitting the brakes the carburetor is closing. Remove your air filter and when you apply brakes or come to a full stop try to see if your carb is open at least 1mm if not then you found your problem

Look at this picture for example:
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/qBZbpPpD4ag/maxresdefault.jpg
I guess you don't bother to read the previous posts, we've already suggested that to him.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:06 AM
ReMiXeDg

Originally Posted by Cowboy420
I guess you don't bother to read the previous posts, we've already suggested that to him.

I did did read the above posts... Isn't this forum open for discussion / comments? Which means I can suggest what ever i want to or say what I want as long as I go by the rules and there's no rule saying I can not suggest something that has been already suggested?
it looks like your coming at me just to get your post count up or watch you attack me for saying that now.

keep ur comments to yourself I did nothing wrong but suggest what i think the issue is I didn't do a counter less post or anything I gave him my feedback / suggestion.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:52 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I did did read the above posts... Isn't this forum open for discussion / comments? Which means I can suggest what ever i want to or say what I want as long as I go by the rules and there's no rule saying I can not suggest something that has been already suggested?
it looks like your coming at me just to get your post count up or watch you attack me for saying that now.

keep ur comments to yourself I did nothing wrong but suggest what i think the issue is I didn't do a counter less post or anything I gave him my feedback / suggestion.
He isn't attacking you! It just doesn't make sense to solely suggest the same thing that's already been suggested. It doesn't offer the OP any new help.

There are only a few reasons why the engine will stop when the brakes are applied. Throttle linkage maladjusted, idle speed too low, or sometimes a broken clutch spring. However I would suspect the throttle linkage or idle speed or a combination of both to be the problem. The OP needs to make sure that when the throttle trigger is in its neutral position the carb is closed to the idle stop. This means finger off the trigger and throttle/brake trims reset to zero or centered. If the slide valve on the carb is open at all beyond the idle stop the linkage should be adjusted so the slide valve is closed to the idle stop. Most of the time there is a spring on the throttle/brake linkage to keep pressure on the carb's slide valve to keep it held against the idle stop. You can use the throttle/brake trim to add pressure to the spring but too much and you run the risk of the brakes being applied when you let off the throttle. It shouldn't take much.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Cowboy420

ReMixeDg: There's just no reason to suggest something that has already been stated in a previous post. Get defensive much? I wasn't attacking you, take a pill man.

Last edited by Cowboy420; 03-03-2014 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Sp.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:35 PM
nitroloser10

cowboy420 is a ******* welcome to my world.