RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Wheel and tire recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 AM
Engineer556

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel and tire recommendations?

Hello all,
I recently am getting into the rc car world and bought a nitro rustler. I already made some modifications based on some other recommendations and by breakage of certain components (Strut towers, A arms, and shocks) but now I want to get some different tires and wheels. First question is 2.2 or 2.8 wheels? Second, should the front and rears be different? Third, recommendations for bashing in yards and dirt, and recommendations for my local dirt track?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I converted my nitro rustler to use Jato suspension arms which requires using 2.8 wheels because 2.2 wheels rub on the rear axle carriers. The Jato suspension mod makes the rustler much more stable. Even without the Jato suspension, I like the 2.8 wheels and tires for the higher ground clearance. The only problem with 2.8 wheels is its a Traxxas thing - the tires with the 2.8" Traxxas bead don't seem to stay glued quite as well as standard 2.2" wheels do. I don't race, so I cannot advocate which specific tires to use, but for bashing I have had good luck and really like Pro Line Dirt Hawgs. They hold up well and last along time, even when using a 3.3 in a rustler.

FWIW, I highly recommend RPM bumpers, shock towers, and suspension arms. They carry a lifetime warranty - break something? Send it in and they'll send a replacement. Also, if you want to increase the durability of the suspension arms and shock towers, boil them in water for about 30-60 seconds before installing them. This will add just enough flex to help avoid breakage.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Engineer556

I did go with the RPM shock towers and suspension arms! Will be placing the order for the bumpers today. So i can use the 2.8 wheels all the way around correct? I believe the rustler does come with 2.8 all around but wasn't sure if the offset was different between front and rear.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yes, you can use 2.8" all around. Just be sure you're getting nitro front and nitro rear. I'm not sure off hand if the offset is different for the electric rustler or not, but the electric rustler does take a different wheel than the nitro version does. The nitro fronts will take bearings and the rears use a 12mm hex.

The nitro rustler used to come with 2.2 wheels all around - I have only had the old models that came with 2.2 wheels out of the box, but it makes sense they use 2.8" now. Also FWIW, anything that fits the Jato will fit the Nitro Rustler as far as wheels and tires go.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM
The Saylors

If you are gunna use 2.8's then i recommend the proline badlands mounted. The first set i got were bad (bad production run i think) the set i have now are fantastic and hook up real nice. The mounted ones come on a halfway decent looking rim as well. i use both the 2.2's and 2.8's and i really like them both. They have pretty tall tread so they take longer to wear out. I use them for bashing and at the track and haven't had any real complaints aside from the fact that concrete tears them up so i keep a set of the proline street fighters for the skate park.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:24 AM
Engineer556

Originally Posted by The Saylors
If you are gunna use 2.8's then i recommend the proline badlands mounted. The first set i got were bad (bad production run i think) the set i have now are fantastic and hook up real nice. The mounted ones come on a halfway decent looking rim as well. i use both the 2.2's and 2.8's and i really like them both. They have pretty tall tread so they take longer to wear out. I use them for bashing and at the track and haven't had any real complaints aside from the fact that concrete tears them up so i keep a set of the proline street fighters for the skate park.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the front wheels require bearings correct and the rears are just the 12mm hex nut? I guess considering its only rear wheel drive I'd only need the rears.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:48 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Engineer556
Correct me if I am wrong, but the front wheels require bearings correct and the rears are just the 12mm hex nut? I guess considering its only rear wheel drive I'd only need the rears.
You're correct. Electric front wheels have the same hex drives that the rears do. At least that's what I've found looking at the packages' descriptions. I had an electric rustler for a short time, but I never had the wheels off of it to confirm.

I like my wheels and tires to match front and rear, so I always get two pairs of tires. The fronts rarely wear, so when it comes time to get new tires, I only replace one pair at a time. I don't race though, so if you're going to race, you will likely use different tires in the front to get the best steering and control on the track. It's a bit of trial and error finding the best tires depending on the track's surface material. Asking other racers what tires works best sometimes isn't a bad thing to do, but some things are kept "secret".

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 07-07-2016 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 AM
The Saylors

Ya the hexes have been identical front to rear on every model i have seen. Make sure of the hex size as there are three major ones. 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm. For the rustler i would be almost certain that it uses the 12mm like most of the traxxas models but i haven't had that particular one so i cant be certain. I like the badlands on the back for the track and a set of narrow duratrax tires for the front, i think i'm using the "six packs" on the front right now.