RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Improving Nitro sport on road character

Reply
Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 AM
  #1
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Improving Nitro sport on road character

Ive been searching through threads and I find mostly info about the rustler (I see they're extremely similar). I haven't quite found an easily explained post detailing what I can do to give my sport a bit more stability and also reduce how easily it rolls through turns. I have the largest set of spacers on the shocks that came with it and have heard of the tubing in the shock body to limit travel (somewhat confused on that) but are there any other easy fixes?

also I notice it tends to skew left or right even after steering is trimmed. Is that just a better servo issue?
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:25 PM
  #2
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
Ive been searching through threads and I find mostly info about the rustler (I see they're extremely similar). I haven't quite found an easily explained post detailing what I can do to give my sport a bit more stability and also reduce how easily it rolls through turns. I have the largest set of spacers on the shocks that came with it and have heard of the tubing in the shock body to limit travel (somewhat confused on that) but are there any other easy fixes?

also I notice it tends to skew left or right even after steering is trimmed. Is that just a better servo issue?
The problem with the nitro sport in regard to the steering is mostly due to its direct steering. As in - the steering is driven directly off the servo and not a set of bell cranks as the Rustler and Jato is setup. What this means is you need a good servo, good servo saver, and tight linkages to have good steering, quick/accurate response, and less bump steer. Bell crank steering is a much cleaner/tighter/faster setup and is why the Rustler is often favored.

My Nitro Sport story made brief...
I had a Nitro Sport for several years. It was my very first RC car. It was an okay-driving truck albeit a bit uncontrollable with too much power. Mine came with the original sport .15 (silver head), I quickly changed to a Pro .15 (blue head) for more power and better carb. After I got tired of the low power Pro .15, I put a 2.5R into it. Stronger engine - made the truck more fun; but it's high speed stability was still crap. So I converted the chassis/steering to Nitro Rustler stuff. Basically I replaced the chassis and steering. All suspension, driveline, etc. all bolts right on. Much better truck; more responsive, and more stable at high(er) speeds it was capable of. Added a 3.3 Traxxas engine for more fun... The 3.3 sure made it faster, but it also got more squirrelly at high speed. So to cure that, I put Jato suspension arms/axle carriers onto it. Now it's ultra stable and can actually be run WOT for more than 2 seconds.

Morale of all of this - if you want to make it more stable and responsive, put Jato suspension on it. I believe all you need is arms, turnbuckles (longer), and axle stubs/carriers. You would probably need to switch to 2.8" wheels too - at least I had to with the Rustler. I suspect you will too if you do this mod. I think it's worth doing though - it made my Rustler a completely new truck - no BS.. I am willing to try making a 24t clutch/54t Spur work and see how fast a Rustler can go. I think that's the tallest gearing you can get stock for it.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 AM
  #3
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
The problem with the nitro sport in regard to the steering is mostly due to its direct steering. As in - the steering is driven directly off the servo and not a set of bell cranks as the Rustler and Jato is setup. What this means is you need a good servo, good servo saver, and tight linkages to have good steering, quick/accurate response, and less bump steer. Bell crank steering is a much cleaner/tighter/faster setup and is why the Rustler is often favored.

My Nitro Sport story made brief...
I had a Nitro Sport for several years. It was my very first RC car. It was an okay-driving truck albeit a bit uncontrollable with too much power. Mine came with the original sport .15 (silver head), I quickly changed to a Pro .15 (blue head) for more power and better carb. After I got tired of the low power Pro .15, I put a 2.5R into it. Stronger engine - made the truck more fun; but it's high speed stability was still crap. So I converted the chassis/steering to Nitro Rustler stuff. Basically I replaced the chassis and steering. All suspension, driveline, etc. all bolts right on. Much better truck; more responsive, and more stable at high(er) speeds it was capable of. Added a 3.3 Traxxas engine for more fun... The 3.3 sure made it faster, but it also got more squirrelly at high speed. So to cure that, I put Jato suspension arms/axle carriers onto it. Now it's ultra stable and can actually be run WOT for more than 2 seconds.

Morale of all of this - if you want to make it more stable and responsive, put Jato suspension on it. I believe all you need is arms, turnbuckles (longer), and axle stubs/carriers. You would probably need to switch to 2.8" wheels too - at least I had to with the Rustler. I suspect you will too if you do this mod. I think it's worth doing though - it made my Rustler a completely new truck - no BS.. I am willing to try making a 24t clutch/54t Spur work and see how fast a Rustler can go. I think that's the tallest gearing you can get stock for it.
this is exactly what I needed. I keep seeing the money vs just buying a jato argument and I see the merits but I do like the idea of slowly upgrading the entire truck myself. And I may spend twice as much but the hours I get out of it is kind of like my return.
Ill look into the jato parts next time I stop by the LHS. I'm likely going with the 3.3 or a similar motor so the twitchy steering is a flip machine haha. Plus Im installing lights so I really don't want to destroy them. Ill have to fab up a roll bar for it I guess. So many projects .
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:56 AM
  #4
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Looking around at conversions- will I need to upgrade to the rustler parts first or will the jato steering actually just bolt up?
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:49 AM
  #5
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
Looking around at conversions- will I need to upgrade to the rustler parts first or will the jato steering actually just bolt up?
My truck was already setup with Rustler steering/chassis before I converted to Jato suspension. If it were my project, I would do the Rustler chassis/steering conversion first. Especially if you're going to put a bigger/stronger engine in it. The steering control is well worth it. The chassis is stronger too. BUT you can do the suspension conversion without the chassis conversion I believe. Your existing steering linkages/turnbuckles will be too short to connect to the steering knuckles once the longer Jato arms are installed. I used the stock Rustler/Sport steering knuckles and C-hubs; they should be the same size as the Jato parts. I have stock Rustler/Sport shocks and Shock towers installed.

Basically what you would need:
Jato arms
Jato turnbuckles for camber and steering
Jato driveshafts (I couldn't find any MIP CVDs which are much better than the stock driveshafts)
Jato rear axle carriers and related bearings
Modify the rear arm mount @ the chassis to fit the Jato arms. Use a dremel.

Ill post pics of my conversion.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-17-2017 at 10:17 AM.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM
  #6
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here's some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6848.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2220502   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6849.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	2220503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6851.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2220504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6853.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2220505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6854.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	2220506  

1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:03 AM
  #7
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Here's some photos.
okay now I see what your saying with the dremel needed. Yeah I think the rustler steering and chassis is going to help for a few reasons since it'll be more stable as a mounting point for a sturdy roll bar too.

Crazy how how much difference you can see with the arms once there lined up together
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:23 AM
  #8
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
okay now I see what your saying with the dremel needed. Yeah I think the rustler steering and chassis is going to help for a few reasons since it'll be more stable as a mounting point for a sturdy roll bar too.

Crazy how how much difference you can see with the arms once there lined up together
Yeah, it makes a pretty dramatic difference in how the truck drives. I have a Jato too and comparing the two trucks stock vs. stock, it's easy to see how/why the Jato handles so much better at high speed. That wide stance makes all the difference.

I thought showing the stock length arms versus the Jato arms would be a good example of how much wider it gets. I've heard of some guys putting Jato arms on the rear only and leaving the front stock, but I don't think that would be much help in the way of stability or control.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:37 AM
  #9
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
Yeah, it makes a pretty dramatic difference in how the truck drives. I have a Jato too and comparing the two trucks stock vs. stock, it's easy to see how/why the Jato handles so much better at high speed. That wide stance makes all the difference.

I thought showing the stock length arms versus the Jato arms would be a good example of how much wider it gets. I've heard of some guys putting Jato arms on the rear only and leaving the front stock, but I don't think that would be much help in the way of stability or control.
narrow fronts would make it worse I think- it would give it a roll point to the front left and right on turns I'd think aka reliant robin
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 AM
  #10
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here's my old Nitro Sport. I painted the plastic chassis parts with Chevrolet Orange ceramic engine paint. The exhaust is the MIP Stinger kit. Along with the "turbo" mods to the engine, it was pretty quick for what it was. The engine was still on the anemic side for my tastes, but I'm awfully spoiled now. I know how to properly modify engines now, so I'll be seeing what can be done to a Rustler with stock gearing options for on-road speed. I'd love to tie-up even Steven with the Jato.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:42 AM
  #11
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here's my old Nitro Sport. I painted the plastic chassis parts with Chevrolet Orange ceramic engine paint. The exhaust is the MIP Stinger kit. Along with the "turbo" mods to the engine, it was pretty quick for what it was. The engine was still on the anemic side for my tastes, but I'm awfully spoiled now. I know how to properly modify engines now, so I'll be seeing what can be done to a Rustler with stock gearing options for on-road speed. I'd love to tie-up even Steven with the Jato.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:44 AM
  #12
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Here's my old Nitro Sport. I painted the plastic chassis parts with Chevrolet Orange ceramic engine paint. The exhaust is the MIP Stinger kit. Along with the "turbo" mods to the engine, it was pretty quick for what it was. The engine was still on the anemic side for my tastes, but I'm awfully spoiled now. I know how to properly modify engines now, so I'll be seeing what can be done to a Rustler with stock gearing options for on-road speed. I'd love to tie-up even Steven with the Jato.

RCU's botched software will not allow me to properly post an old photo from Photobucket. This forum software is BS. I'll keep trying, but if I'm not successful, I could email it to you if you want to see it.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:27 AM
  #13
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Yeah please, a guideline is invaluable for me - I'll pm email
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 01:09 PM
  #14
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
Yeah please, a guideline is invaluable for me - I'll pm email

We'll see if this junky forum software worked this time. If the picture shows up, don't mind the ad in the picture. It seems Photobucket is well saturated with ad BS too. So the ad in the attached picture is not advocated by me. In fact, Xfinity is a crooked company anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6861.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	2220526  
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:15 PM
  #15
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

The Rustler chassis is so much cleaner looking.
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:16 PM
  #16
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Did you notice issues with moving the weight back with the exhaust?
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM
  #17
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
Did you notice issues with moving the weight back with the exhaust?
Not on the Nitro Sport with stinger exhaust, no.

The Rustler chassis is full aluminum on the bottom versus half aluminum and half plastic like the sport. The Rustler is much more rigid.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:25 PM
  #18
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Randomly thought but do the sport/rustler chassis support a higher powered novarossi? I could buy another truck for the money I'm sure but I like having my focus on one instead and building it up. Plus it's fun.
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:19 AM
  #19
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
Randomly thought but do the sport/rustler chassis support a higher powered novarossi? I could buy another truck for the money I'm sure but I like having my focus on one instead and building it up. Plus it's fun.
I wouldn't put a balls out crazy engine onto a Nitro Sport. The chassis isn't strong enough IMO. Either work up a conversion on your Sport or sell it and get a Rustler. Or step up to crazy town and get a Jato.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 AM
  #20
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I wouldn't put a balls out crazy engine onto a Nitro Sport. The chassis isn't strong enough IMO. Either work up a conversion on your Sport or sell it and get a Rustler. Or step up to crazy town and get a Jato.
okay so I'll stick to a rustler conv. With the 3.3 upgrade. I'll save all the crazy stuff for my 10 year old Frankenstein exceed buggy haha
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:17 AM
  #21
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
okay so I'll stick to a rustler conv. With the 3.3 upgrade. I'll save all the crazy stuff for my 10 year old Frankenstein exceed buggy haha
I wouldn't hesitate to stick a stout Nova .15 into a rustler. The .15 will probably out-rev the 3.3 Traxxas anyway. Maybe not as wheelie happy though.

I would keep your eyes open for a Nitro Rustler roller for cheap and just move your good parts over. That's what I did - I got a nearly new Pro .15 roller for $30 from my LHS. I put my gone-through tranny into it and put my radio and engine into it. Converting the Sport over to a Rustler will cost you $120 or more just in parts. When I did mine, I think I had $140 in parts and then a couple hours to assemble it.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:13 AM
  #22
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to stick a stout Nova .15 into a rustler. The .15 will probably out-rev the 3.3 Traxxas anyway. Maybe not as wheelie happy though.

I would keep your eyes open for a Nitro Rustler roller for cheap and just move your good parts over. That's what I did - I got a nearly new Pro .15 roller for $30 from my LHS. I put my gone-through tranny into it and put my radio and engine into it. Converting the Sport over to a Rustler will cost you $120 or more just in parts. When I did mine, I think I had $140 in parts and then a couple hours to assemble it.
hows the engine mount match up on the nova motors when it comes to the rustler chassis? Any dremel modding needed?
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:22 AM
  #23
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Nitro RUSTLER - Shocks Towers, Upper Chassis Bumper bulkhead Battery Box 44096-3 | eBay

is this what I basically need?
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:42 PM
  #24
1QwkSport2.5r
 
1QwkSport2.5r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cottage Grove, MN
Posts: 8,825
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
hows the engine mount match up on the nova motors when it comes to the rustler chassis? Any dremel modding needed?
I have no idea if the Novas use the same mount as the Pro .15 or the 2.5/3.3 engines. I've never had a non Traxxas engine in my Rustlers or Sport.

That kit from EBay doesn't come with the lower aluminum chassis plate or the steering bellcranks by the looks of it. Besides screws, basically you need the upper and lower chassis, all steering components, fuel tank support/structure, and a few more odd parts. I'll try to pull up the exploded view and highlight the parts you need. The suspension, shock towers, transmission, engine mount, battery box all transfer from the sport to the rustler. The chassis and steering are the only real differences I believe. I will double check for you though.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 06-19-2017 at 02:22 PM.
1QwkSport2.5r is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:15 PM
  #25
Fixerupper
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 37
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r View Post
I have no idea if the Novas use the same mount as the Pro .15 or the 2.5/3.3 engines. I've never had a non Traxxas engine in my Rustlers or Sport.

That kit from EBay doesn't come with the lower aluminum chassis plate or the steering bellcranks by the looks of it. Besides screws, basically you need the upper and lower chassis, all steering components, fuel tank support/structure, and a few more odd parts. I'll try to pull up the exploded view and highlight the parts you need. The suspension, shock towers, transmission, engine mount, battery box all transfer from the sport to the rustler. The chassis and steering are the only real differences I believe. I will double check for you though.
thanks- it's like if I had a rustler in front of me I'd be set but going by text instructions has me stumped. The rustler chassis and jato bits I think will get me where I need to be for a nice high output motor. Just seems like such a easy platform
Fixerupper is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:07 PM.