Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

trx 2.5 on a rc10gt

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 07:49 PM
dgz69er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trx 2.5 on a rc10gt

So I had a os .18cv-r on my rc10gt, but I decided to go with my original plan of putting my trx on the rc10.

I ordered a rotary carb for it. It should be here next week. I am hoping this works out well. Its going to be a lot of work to get it done correctly, but I think it will yield positive results.

Has anybody else done this, or heard of anyone doing this?

I know its kind of a stupid idea. I just want to do it. Mostly to see if I can actually mod it enough to get it to work.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:42 PM
The_Collector

Default RE: trx 2.5 on a rc10gt

That's a total abomination. You will want the O.S. back in there soon enough. Don't hack up that chassis, you'll be sorry.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 PM
125cchyperman

People have done it But I do not see why you would want to. You going to have less power, a lot less reliability, and your going to have a much more finicky engine. Personally I would not hack up anything to get that engine in anything that had a O.S engine in it.

As The Collector has said. Thats a total abomination
Old 09-17-2006, 03:19 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Guess some just want to see what a pain in the backside really is like! I will give you $30 and shipping for the OS. Wish I had a 2.5 as I would swap you and pay the shipping both ways. Most even the 3.3 guys take out the Traxxas and put something else in most of the time a OS TM!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:23 PM
dgz69er

So much for people being supportive here.

Actually no!

I won't be hacking up anything. I ordered an airplane rotary carb for the trx, this way I don't have to drill new holes for the throttle servo. I'm taking off the easy start, and putting on a pull start. I will have to get a new header inorder to get the tail pipe to mount in the proper place.

Why am I doing this. Yes the OS is a more powerful moter than the trx. The problem is I'm a basher. Having the os on the rc10, I have a hard time getting traction in dirt with that motor on it. The trx came from my tmaxx. That is where I put the os. So my thought process goes along the lines of. Hey I have an extra engine. The trx is more powerful than the stock .15 thats on the rc10, why not put it there. Being as I am getting a new carb for the trx. I should *as long as its a good carb* have less issues with tuneing.

I could be wrong, but who cares.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

Do it. Frankly Im tired of all the traxxas bashing and OS is GOD SENT crap that rolls out of everyone. Ive NEVER had a single issue with ANY of my TRX motors. I currently have 6, 2 of which are 1.5s and one has over 3 gallons trough it and still runs awsome! Go for it dgz69er Id love to see someone Dare to be Different! Traxxas has yet to let me down, UNLIKE the Duratrash Evader pile of puss that I waisted over $400 on already just to get the constant JUNK Diff issues that the moreoffs at Duratrash have yet to see as a problem. I guess Im not the only one with fiff problems. here on this site there are too many posts and topics about the junk diffs, and on Ebay, they are selling more diff gears and full diffs then they are any other parts.

I dont race, and if I did, I might see a difference in my opinion. But for bashing, ANY of the TRX motors are Rock Solid for use in any vehicle they can be stuffed in. Get off the OS high horse ppl not all RC is competitive, some of us just like to have some fun.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Do it as it is not my truck and post back how it goes.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:56 PM
125cchyperman

Blackfoot

Im not saying that the trx models are trash. I have 2 pro .15 in which you call it the (1.5's) that has over 6 gallons through it. And still runs like the day I got it. Now I do not really use them all that much anymore but I could use them. But never the less the O.S is just a much better overall engine. I also like when people go against the grain and do things different. But some things just do not go well with others.

Dgz69r I understand that you wanted the larger engine in the Mt and the smaller engine in the ST. So I do understand where your coming from. But I do not know if the new carb will give you less problems then the stock carb.

I do not know of any one who said that the O.S engine are God sent. But theya re of better quality, more relaible, and hold a tune like there is no tommorow. Now I'm not here to get into a pissing match over anything.

This is just my opinion and you are entitled to your own opinion.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 PM
dgz69er

Its just something I want to try. If it doesn't work then what am I out? The 28 dollars I spent on a new carb. Yeah that doesn't really bother me.

I just thought I would try something new. Without investing large amounts of money to make it super unique. And also to see if I could do it. It is going to require a little bit of work, but if it does work. The fact that I was able to do it will be joy enough for me. This is my first attempt at truly modding anything. No its not the biggest mod job in the world, but we all have to start somewhere.

Also rc10.com said you couldn't put a trx engine on a rc10gt, so part of me is out to prove them wrong.

Anyone who says its an abomination needs to take a reality check on their life. I'm not in this hobby to be a brand *****. I'm in this hobby cause I enjoy Rc cars. Just look at what cars I have. That should tell you that I'm not about a certain brand.

I also appreciate what blackfoot had to say. Thank you.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

Anytime brother! Id love to see you do it. I know I would and WILL if I find a good roller cheap on ebay. I have a vx.18 off the Redcat Tsunami pile of s**t and a awsome running TRX 1.5 with the ez-start off my Traxxas Sport that I stuffed a 2.5R in, just sitting here in the tool box. Im looking at any and all Losi , AE or any other "High Quality" name RC that I can make reliable and fun basher out of cheap. Not to mention, just to piss in someones Cheerios

Do it up bro, Im drooling to see you do it!
Old 09-18-2006, 11:23 PM
maxxhavoc

ive got 2 2.5s and a 2.5r. id say im about 1 1/2 gallons into both 2.5s without any problems. i also have an rc10 with the stock .15 and it has no power. not to mean that the stock .15 doesnt run great, but the 2.5 seems to have a bit more umph. hell, i may end up doing the same thing since i have extras.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Hotdam

Hey Dgz I'm, looking to do the same thing.Asked about it once and never got an answer. I believe an os rotory carb and a nitro rustler manifold are the intake and exhaust items or you can convert and use the slide carb on the 2.5. The only thing I havent figured out is which motor mount would be the best to use.I have a jato and s-maxx but havent pulled the mounts to check them.Anyway I'm interested what you find out.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 AM
dgz69er

I can't remember what carb I ordered. I know that it is an airplane carb. The highspeed needle will be located on the backside of the engine. It will have some fuel tubing that connect to the carb on the front side. When I get it I will post the model number. As for the engine mount. The trx drops right into the stock rc10 motor mount. I would like to use the ez start, but it seems to conflict with the fuel tank. So I am probably just going to put a pull start on it. I am on hold until the carb gets here, which should be later this week. Once I get everything done. I will post pictures of it and go into more details on what I did. I will look into the nitro rustler manifold. I was looking at the manifold on the jato yesterday thinking that might work for it. I would like to get the project completed by this weekend. If everything goes well. I should be able to.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
dgz69er

So I have ran into my first problem. I expected to have issues. The carb I ordered has been discountinued. So I guess I will have to modify the throttle servo to make it work.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:42 AM
Hotdam

I believe if you go to baysidehobbies.com to the rc10gt forum that theres a how to to make the slide carb on the 2.5 work on the gt. Thats the way I think I'm going to go. I let the kids and grandkids run my jato and maxx last weekend so been repairing them hope to get that gt out and bolt in the 2.5 this weekend
Old 09-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Hotdam

Any luck in getting it to run yet?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:02 AM
wyd

The 2.5 motor runs well if it was properly broken in. I run them on my Jato and my XTM X-Cellerator to run dirt oval with and these motors run with the big HP 12's with no problem. I have had 3 of these motors in last year and they run flawlessly every time. I had 3 in 3 different machines not 3 in a season.

I would run the slide car on the 2.5 as it is ment for that motor. You can run slide carbs on GT's as I have in the past. Not really hard to do.

I run mine in a Nitro tour series we have in PA and average about 40 trucks or so for each series race. I won the last one with my 2.5 motor running 30% S&W fuel running the motor at 250 degrees with a American CNC head on it. Here is a pic of the motor in my truck with the slide setup:

Hope this helps some.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

I was tired of all the issues with the DTX .18 on my Evader. I installed a TRX Pro .15 3 days ago. I need to send in my DTX motor to have it rebuilt. Till then I couldnt wait for it to return, so I did a direct drop in of the TRX motor. Everything was a perfect match except exhaust, So I used the TRX header and DTX pipe. I even installed the EZ Start. Its not as quick as the .18 but its just as fast top end, and starts instantly with the simple push of 1 button.

I call her the Dura-Traxxas I actuall enjoy her alot more now then I ever did before.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
dgz69er

I have not had any luck. Honestly I haven't worked on it since I found out I couldn't get the carb I wanted. I have been busy preparing for the indoor race league I am joining. I will check out the recommended website and see if I can get something going.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 PM
dgz69er

Now I remember the problem I came across with. I was going to set my rc10gt up the same way wyd has his set up. Servo wise that is. The servo arms on my servo weren't long enough to get good purchase the trx carb. I am thinking about installing 2 jr z650z servos in my aftershock. I will use one of the 590's for the steering on my max, and the other one for the throttle on my rc10gt.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Hotdam

Nice gt Wyd. I believe Wyd has it done the same way the how to in the gt forums show.Didnt need much but throttle lingage and a few stopsd if I remember right.Nice to see some actually working with the 2.5 rather than bashing it.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

Finally, a Big named RC with a good running and reliable motor![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 PM
wyd

ORIGINAL: Hotdam

Nice gt Wyd. I believe Wyd has it done the same way the how to in the gt forums show.Didnt need much but throttle lingage and a few stopsd if I remember right.Nice to see some actually working with the 2.5 rather than bashing it.
For me I have no complaints. The 2.5 motors I have had start right up, idle perfectly, and run fast on the oval tracks I race on. I couldn't ask any more of my motors. Reliablilty has been perfect. I have had a few bad running motors from new but non where Traxxas or OS as these have been my motors of choice. OS from day one and the 2.5 for the last year plus.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:15 PM
mcstarr25

ive only had TRX engines on 2 of my cars until i bought my rc10, thundertiger. it does seem to be a better engine, but the TRX are damn powerfull for the price. and pretty good also

inf fact one of the traxxas cars im working on now, was sitting in the garage for 4 years. at one time had fuel left in it for god knows how long. and i was younger and bashin the hell out of it. flooded it, ran two fuels through it, would elevate the wheels and go full throttle. because i was a dumbass, but it still runs..
Old 07-18-2017, 02:41 AM
CRUNK 007

Default Been there tried that

It doesn't fit. Without changing a gear somewhere. Or lowering the motor. I had the extra pieces though why not? I'm not saying it's a good or bad idea but if you can make it work let me know. Thanks Scott
I was trying the 3.3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.