Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Nitro Napalm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

[] I don't think it did. Don't get me wrong this some good info. but this stuff is for later on i just want to replace some servos and add some sway bars, light weight fly wheels. That sort of thing. Something that will make a pretty big difference to the trucks performance. Not too expensive of course because i'm pretty broke at the mo.

Thanks again though hpi_mt2 i'm gonna save this page for later.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:07 PM
Hpi_mt2

you can get lightweight flywheels at towerhobbies
Old 08-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Grantothismo

Thank you,

I do appreciate the compliment.

I have been waiting for TowerHobbies to send me a frequent buyers card, because that is where I get most of my stuff. I also have a LHS that has very good prices for the out of the ordinary things - like a CVEC for $37. - It was a steal.

As far as things to put on your MT to make it better - with a price - I cannot think of any other than better air cleaner. I hope that there is a LHS there in the UK that can get you good one. They do make a lightweight flywheel for the MT2 - makes it rev like a sob - but it has been problematic for me. I have bought two of them and busted them both. The sway bars are not a cheap hopup, $37 at tower, but it allows me to race against 1/8 buggies in our open class. As far as the body, I painted it myself to look just like the HPI truck on their website - I thought I did spendid.

Back when I had the .15 in mine the exaust was the best improvement. Look for an Associated exaust for a .15 an you will be extremely happy with the results. I bought the HPI exuast and was very disappointed.

You are only limited by you imagination and your funds.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Nitro Napalm

Hmmm, thanks for the reply and yeah i am thinking of getting the better air filter. The new performance one from HPI looks good. O and BTW is the sway bars really worth it for me? I race up and down my street and backyard and take it to fields and stuff. Thanks again for the reply.

PS. Could you give me a COMPLETE list of hop-ups big and small with a price. I know it's alot to ask but you would be doing me a massive favour.

When i say little or big i mean like pipe - big and paint for body or body clips - small.

Thanks in advance if you do or don't decide to do it.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Nitro Napalm

o and is it bad to wash your air filter with water and then add air filter oil to it? I dry it before putting it on but is this bad? i do this because washing it in nitro costs alot of money especially when i'm strapped for cash.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Grantothismo

I usually let mine air dry, before adding the oil.

I am not sure if it cause it a problem or not if it is wet.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Hpi_mt2

NO do not wash your air filter in water thats a big no no just use air filter oil
Old 08-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Grantothismo

Nitro Napalm - I'll try, here we go:

All in US Dollars

Small - Anything under $20:
Air Cleaner - Motor Saver - $11.00
HPI Woven Graphite Front Shock Tower - 17.59
HPI Lightweight Flywheel - 17.59
HPI Dodge Body - 18.99 (Just looks Better)
HPI Brake Disk FiberGlass - 12.99
HPI Hinge Pins Nitro Set - 14.79
Tamiya 4mm Lock Nut - 2.49
HPI Aluminum Hex Hub 12mm - 17.59

Medium $20 - $50:
HPI Universal Dogbone Front - 28.99
HPI Universal Dogbone Rear - 28.99
HPI Sway Bar Set - 28.99
HPI Wheels 2 sets - 32.00
HPI S-Compound X Pattern Tires 2 sets - 50.00
HPI Woven Graphite Rear Shock Tower - 21.99
HPI Titanium Turnbuckles - 34.99 - Needed HPI Heavy Duty Ball Cup - 7.89
CVEC Exaust - 42.99 (Got mine at my LHS for 37.00)
HPI Exaust - 49.99 (Hated it)
HiTech 645 Steering Servo - 39.99

Large > $50:
HPI .18SS Engine 144.99

The biggest bang for the buck is the engine. The problem is that you need to upgrade some of the other parts to be able to handle the additional speed - or just replace the parts as they break.

The next biggest is a good exaust system. An engine is nothing more than a fancy air pump, the better you can get the air in and out the more power you will make.

The one thing I recommend to all MT2 owners are the Tamiya Lock Nuts. I ruined two sets of rims having the lock nut back off allowing the hub to round itself. Aggravated me to no end.

After that its more of a, found a problem need an upgrade to work better thing.

All the items I listed work well - other than the HPI exaust - and were purchased to resolve things I encountered at the track. Example, truck would lean heavily in the turns tranferring weight to the outside wheels, they would bite - spin out. Added sway bars, chassis stays planted, turns like its on rails. Another example, Dirt Hawgs would not hookup on packed dirt - bought the x pattern tires to correct problem. Another, added .18SS broke front end pieces fixed arms popped off too often - bought graphite shock towers and titanium arms to correct problem.

Even now I am still trying to improve the truck, waiting to have my HPI Super Chassis 2.5 mm delivered to try and fix some chassis flex.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Grantothismo

HPI_MT2,

Where were you able to purchase the aluminum knuckle arms?

I might want to purchase some and am too lazy to look for them on the web.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Nitro Napalm

Thank you Grantothismo. You were a huge help. Cheers
Old 08-04-2004, 05:44 PM
szyslak096

GT, Newerahobbies has the aluminum knuckle arms and C-posts.

Does anyone know what would cause only set of tires to spin? I don't mean front/rear I mean left/right. I had only my right side tires spinning earlier.

Also, isn't the clutch bell supposed to be only one piece? I broke the gear off the bell, that must've been the horrrible grinding sound and the sparks shooting from the car
What would you guys suggest for a new bell to give me more torque? Aren't lower #'s more torque and higher #'s top end? I can never remember.

NitroNapalm, I got the Associated pipe like GT suggested and it works out great!
Old 08-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Hpi_mt2

grantothismo i heard from a forum neweramodels parts dont fit all that good so get these from hot bodies they work great http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAS7&P=7
Old 08-04-2004, 07:43 PM
szyslak096

They're also $5 cheaper. Thanks HPI_MT2, I hadn't seen these before. Did you also get the C-hubs? I noticed the Hot Bodies ones only have 2 adjustment holes whereas the stock MT2 C-hubs have three. Does HB make a C-hub set specifically for the MT2?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:32 PM
Grantothismo

Nitro,

I also have the HPI Racing clutch 13.99.

I knew I forgpt something!!

Thanks HPI_MT2 - I just wish Tower had them in.

Szyslak096 - I think your tires lock nuts are weakening and the hex hubs are rounding out - Get Tamiya Lock Nuts - they are much better. Bigger pinion(clutch bell) - More speed less torque Smaller pinion - more torque less top end. Think of a ten speed bike. The MT2 comes with a 12 tooth - I was think ing of going to a 13 - when I had the smaller engine to get out of the corners better - but I just got the bigger engine. Problem fixed.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Hpi_mt2

no i didn't get the chubs yet becuz i didn't need them that much im prolly not gonna get everything aluminum i mean come on its gonna make your truck very heavy my truck is heavy enough as it is i need to lighten it im thinking about getting the carbon fiber radio tray
Old 08-05-2004, 01:16 PM
RS4 Racer

What are the things you have broken the most on your NMT-2? I've broken my Front Uprights and my clutch.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Spudnik

i broke a front suspencion arm, front knuckle, fornt c-hub and the pin that hold the arm in.

Now lets talk about engines. Hpi 18ss or os cvrx 18.

18ss claimed hp 1.5

cvrx hp 1.53ish(rcdriver)

can the os take the roto start?

mashers are worthit bythe way
Old 08-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Grantothismo

I've broken quite a number of things, but the most frustrating was the rounding of the hub hexs. Not my fault, but put me out untill parts came.

Savage 14:

I have the .18SS and have had very good success. I would not say great, the back plate kept wanting to come off mine. I just recently worked on a friends Stampede that has an OS engine in it. I liked it very much and was able to hold a tune.

Yes it can take the roto start.

I really think either is good.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Hpi_mt2

only thing i break is nuckle arms and thats it and i've just been jumpin my truck 8 feet in the air
Old 08-06-2004, 06:05 AM
hmgfgf

dude were can i get a 2 speed tranny for my mt?

and also am i gonna be making good power if i put a O.S. .15 in it?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Tex_MT2

Hey all, just a quick message because it's nearly 2am here, and I want to sleep so I can get up and thrash my truck!

I've just finished installing New Era aluminium front A-arms, steering knuckles, and front bash plate. All in all, things went pretty smoothly, though the hinge pins for the A-arms were a ***** to get in without removing the front diff/bulkhead assembly as a whole and installing the A-arms off the car. The knuckles were pretty hassle-free, I noticed on one knuckle one of the bearings took a bit of force to get in, and one of the balls was quite tight to screw in on the end of the arm - no doubt due to nylon being caught in the threads. The bashplate you could install with your eyes closed.

I decided to keep my stock C hubs, I have a spare set in case I lunch them, but seeing as they are fairly thick plastic where the hinge pin passes through, and they're not held in place by screws, I decided not to replace them. I doubt they're a high risk part, but I could be wrong.

I also installed a set of FIRM rear MT2 springs on the front shocks, with one of the large spacers, and the car already looks like it'll be much better for jumping without bottoming out. Tomorrow first thing, I've got to install the SUPER FIRM rear springs, and then tune the carby from scratch with the Motorsaver on so that hopefully she doesn't run away from me when I start her this time - which is what led to me needing to replace all these bits to begin with! [:@]

Today when I get up, a bunch of friends and I are heading to the local park with a BMX track next to it. The MT2 will be getting jumped for the first time, so if I'm going to break bits, that'll be when it's going to happen. Two of my mates will be there also, one with a T-Maxx, and the other with an electric RS4 MT. Should be sweet!

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Hpi_mt2

ORIGINAL: ans gx

dude were can i get a 2 speed tranny for my mt?

and also am i gonna be making good power if i put a O.S. .15 in it?
i better tell you something first if you get the 2 speed tranny the slipperclutch has got to be taken out it cant be put bak in with a 2 speed so its either the 2 speed or the slipper clutch hpi does not recomend it for offroad use so if you planning on using it for offroad and jumping DO NOT get it becuz with out the slipper clutch and when you jump it it will put large amounts of pressure on you drive train forcing it to damage your drive train (spurgear, differential, etc.) so i wouldn't get it if i were you thats why i didn't get it.

i wonder why hpi didn't do a 2 speed which allows your to have your slipper clutch like the savage that would be great if they did that.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Grantothismo

HPI_MT2:

I agree. You can install the two speed that was designed for the MT, but you lose too much protection of the slipper. I do not think the trade off is worth it. Plus two speeds are necessary for heavy vehicles to get them up to speed, them MT2 does not really need that.

Here it is if you want it:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTB56&P=7
Old 08-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Hpi_mt2

yeh but i wouldn't spend 75 bux to end up breaking my truck i say move up with a better engine like a hpi nitro star 18ss
Old 08-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Grantothismo

I agree,

Just save yourself another 60 -75 bucks and get a better engine.

As you will find on this site, us MT2 owners are told we are not ROAR legal and crap like that.

Just build them like you like 'em and f' the rest.

I love my MT2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.