Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Official HPI MT2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 03:26 AM
Tex_MT2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

Wow, my MT2 was AWESOME today. All the alloy bits are doing their job nicely, the bash plate paid for itself in the first tank, as I ran the car full pelt in to a concrete BBQ... The bash plate is a bit bent to one side, but otherwise seems intact. We spent an hour or so solid of jumping at the local BMX track, and within 15 mins or so I found out why HPI include spare rear knuckles, as a bad lnding on the very back of the rear wheels tore one of mine apart. A quick fix in the field and we were on the way again.

Right towards the end I lost two engine screws (forgot to thread lock them!), the motor torqued itself away from the spur and tore the tops of the spur teeth off. At first I thought the clicking must have been my diffs going, but I'm happy to report it was all the plastic of the spur teeth interfering with the mesh. The diffs are still totally smooth. Pulled the cover off the spur, scraped the excess plastic off the spur and put it back together and ran it some more.

My mate drove his T-Maxx head on in to a log at full bore, snapped his front arms, bent both shocks, and a bunch of other stuff. :P

Might have some pics soon.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Hpi_mt2

sounds as if you had fun
Old 08-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Spudnik

can anone eles tell me if the os 18 cvrx can take the roto start please
Old 08-08-2004, 08:08 PM
t8jones
My Feedback: (1)

Is this truck pretty fast. The reason why I am asking is because I about to buy either a rc10gt, xxxnt losi, or a nitro rustler, but if this truck is just as fast thenm maybe I should consider it as well.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Hpi_mt2

the truck was tested to go 41mph
Old 08-08-2004, 09:41 PM
Grantothismo

Got a little tip for jumping:

I turned my on/off switch around. I found that when I was jumping my switch would actually turn off. On is now down and off is up. I haven't had it happen again.

New suff today:

Got the stiffer chassis plate, painted another body - looks the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77645.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	161905   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43906.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	161906  
Old 08-08-2004, 10:01 PM
Tex_MT2

ORIGINAL: Grantothismo

Got a little tip for jumping:

I turned my on/off switch around. I found that when I was jumping my switch would actually turn off. On is now down and off is up. I haven't had it happen again.
It's funny you should mention that. One bit I left out of my story was that after a decent (6 ft air or so) jump, the car landed beautifully as I squeezed on the throttle, and suddenly went full throttle, no steering control, no throttle control, nothing. That was a tense 10 seconds or so as it caned off across the BMX track, luckily not hitting anyone, and ultimately ending up on its roof, screaming like crazy until a mate of mine got to it and plugged the pipe with his finger. Phew! Hopefully revving like that didn't hurt it!

I will definitely be modifiying that switch, and recommend anyone doing big jumps does also. That was the second time it happened yesterday, though the first time luckly was with barely any throttle so it just sat there.

Can anyone recommend any stock spare parts I'm likely to need in bashing? I'm thinking rear hubs for sure, which I'll boil before use... Anything else? I already have spare dogbones.

Also, has anyone worked out what OS plug is about the same as the HPI cold R5?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Hpi_mt2

i haven't had that switch thing happen to me yet
Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Grantothismo

Tex_MT2,

I use an OS8(Medium) and like it very much.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one to have a large jump cut out your radio.

I forgot to mention, HPI CVDs are a piece of artwork - great for bashing. If you are tired if dogbones get the HPI CVDs. I am very impressed with their durability and their construction.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Hpi_mt2

i jumped my truck 8 feet in the air but nothing happend hmm. im wondering why
Old 08-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Tex_MT2

ORIGINAL: Grantothismo

Tex_MT2,

I use an OS8(Medium) and like it very much.

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one to have a large jump cut out your radio.

I forgot to mention, HPI CVDs are a piece of artwork - great for bashing. If you are tired if dogbones get the HPI CVDs. I am very impressed with their durability and their construction.
Ahh, cool. So do you notice any real diff in performance or running with the OS #8 instead of the HPI R5 or whatever is stock? No detonation or anything like that?

Thanks for the tip on the CVDs. I have 2 spare dogbones for the moment, and I'm going to spray paint them all bright flouro colours so when I do lose them they're easy to find, so I'll wait it out a bit longer before I upgrade. Is it worth getting the racing clutch or anything like that, or for bashing should I save my money for the next breakage?

Oh, and the Motor Saver filter was great too. It's been a while since I ran the truck, but it definitely seems faster!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Spudnik

THE OS 18CVRCX IS IT A GOOD ENGINE PLEASE STOP IGNORING MEand i will feel much better
Old 08-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Grantothismo

Savage14,

I'M NOT IGNORING YOU. I said that the I saw a .15 OSCV Engine with a rotostart. Similar block style - I think it would fit. OS engines seem to be worth the money.

Tex_MT2,

Engine runs great with them. I would save your money for bashing - I have really gone overboard with this truck. When my MT2 was new it seemed perfectly fine - I just had to mess with it.

T8Jones,

The MT2 is a fine vehicle. Accelerates well works well in the corners. It is not an RC10GT or XXXN-T. Just pick what you like.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Hpi_mt2

yeh savage14 were sorry if we made you mad in any way i didn't answer you becuz i dont know much about os engines so i was waiting what other people would say.

i drove my truck today but didn't drive it much becuz some idiot broke my ramp and i had to rebuild it and my roto start battery wasn't charged right even after i charged it for more than 2 hours so i had one run i jumped my truck and didn't hit the ramp right and i back flipped it into a tree but it didn't have much damage and i jumped it maybe 6 feet it was alright but it was cool to see that my truck was peeling out in the grass it was kool the masher 2ks were griping the grass and ripping it out like 1 feet in the air it was awesome the first time i saw that with them tires
Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Spudnik

Grantothismo and Hpi_mt2

you have a 18 ss engine. i am not mad at you, i am fustrated that people answer questions to other people becasue they posted after me. I not even 16 and only have a paper route to found this hobby. My parents have bought me nothing except on my birthday in march. fuel a fuel filter and a temp gun. i spend my money on what is needed, not the bling stuff. If i can buy an engine, i don't want to spend a lto of money on crap.

sorry if i offened you i did not mean to do so thanks for your input.i wanted to get peoples attention and i did.
i am sorry if i hurt you
i said and will say it agine
Old 08-09-2004, 08:55 PM
EdsWords

If you only have a paper route to fund this hobby and don't want to spend a lot of money, I don't think it would be wise to drop a larger more powerfull engine in the MT2. Unless, of course, you have another 150-250 dollars set in reserve to buy spare parts & hop ups to improve everthing else up around it!

The faster you go, the faster stuff breaks!
Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Spudnik

i am not about speed....................i am about tourqe[>:]
Old 08-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Hpi_mt2

how long do you have to wait till your 16
Old 08-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Richs MT2

Hello all'
Ive had my MT2 about 3 weeks and its pretty great. it took me awhile to read all the threads in this forumn so i could be up to speed.i had a question about the hotbodies stering knuckles tower hobbies list them for a RS4/3, but will these will work with the MT2? you guys got some pretty cool mods. The only thing i did ws get a motor saver air cleaner and the biggest difference in performance was i port matched the header the truck .15 open up alot in the mid and top end acceleration also improved a slight bit.

has anyone fabricated there own radio trayif so were there any difficulties? also what material did you use . i am a fabricator by trade but mostly in industrial and control equipment.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Hpi_mt2

Richs mt2, great of you to join us yeh it took me a while to read these forums when i first joined but anyways lets get back to topic ; yes the hotbodies aluminum knuckle arms work it says rs4 3 right well the mt2 is a rs4 3 if you say the full name its called a Hpi rs4 3 mt2 so basically anything like the aluminum knuckle arms are gonna fit i bought the hotbodies front knuckle arms and they work. But if you have anything you need aluminum for your truck just ask me and I will be more than happy to help you.

Oh and about the radio tray i was just looking for one also but you can get a carbon fiber one which will make your truck lighter but its not that moisture proof.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Richs MT2

yeah about the moisture proof but condoms do a wonder i was looking at mcmaster carrs website and one of my local buddies (metal fab outfits) for a piece of titanium
Old 08-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Richs MT2

HPI MT2
oh yeah thanks for the reply one more question. if i can come up with a piece f titanium how thick of a piece would i need?id imagine .125" is to thick i was thinkin about .0625 would be thick enough als the favor wouldnt be as big
Old 08-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Hpi_mt2

well i dont know much about fabricating so i'd ask someone with more experience
Old 08-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Tex_MT2

Grantothismo, what % fuel are you running? I'm just looking at the OS #8 plug, and Tower list it as Medium Hot... I realised that perhaps you are running a lower % fuel? I run 25%, so don't want to get too hot a plug.. Let me know!
Old 08-10-2004, 11:27 PM
Richs MT2

has anyone given any thought to running two carbs on a nitro engine. heres my theory on it:

air flow is the primary rpm and power limiter, but to big of a carb and you wont get proper vacuum and probably be extremely hard to tune for idle let alone probably just bog out under acceleration. Enter two carbs (5mm) primary carb used for idle and just off throttle the secondary carbs lo speed needle can closed as well as the rotary valve, then with a progressive linkage setup bring in the second carb at mid throttle as you reached the upper rpm level you have a full 11mm opening ie: more air fuel at a higher rpm. just looking for someone to bounce the idea back at me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.