Superscott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Official HPI MT2 Thread

Hey Steve, Well I ran my truck with the shims in the diff and it works great. I was a little rough with it today but did not break anything on some pretty big jumps and bouncing around. The diff held up to the punishment great. What do you think of those new color schemes on the bodies? Oh yeah anyone plan on getting the two speed? Hpi says they "Don't recommend it for off road" but the savage has a 2-speed. But I think it has metal gears instead of the plastic ones offered for the MT2.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:55 AM
Tex_MT2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wouldn't bother with a two-speed for offroad stuff. A mate of mine has one in his electric MT and it gives him a fair bit of trouble these days. I suspect this is the case because of damage done from driving it on dirt/jumping it and the second gear engaging harshly...
Old 03-29-2004, 08:48 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tex, as to fuel, I run mine on 10% Omega. And you can go back and forth between nitro contents at will. Just give the engine a few tanks to settle in with the new fuel before doing any serious needle-tweaking.

Now, some will vigourously disagree with the above. It is true that an engine from which you are trying to extract the absolute last bit of performance out of, such as a racing engine, needs to be pampered with one specific fuel blend, nitro content, oil, etc. But for "bashing" or general sport use, it just isn't that big of a deal. These little engines are remarkably resilient, and as long as you don't run them too hot they will give you good service over a wide range of use parameters.

Personally, I am FIRMLY convinced that the great majority of all this fuel hype is controversy created by marketers and fuel-mongers. I realize that this is probably throwing a grenade into the hen house, but, at least in the US, the pricing structure of fuel tells the story. Specialized "car fuel" costs up to twice as much per gallon as "airplane fuel"; yet it has LESS oil and equal or less nitromethane.

All I know is this; when I got my first r/c car a bit over three years ago, I bought a gallon of "car fuel" and was quite surprised to see that a gallon of 10% nitro Blue Thunder cost $6 more than a gallon of 15% Cool Power. The engine was obviously running hot, and that's when I discovered that the 'car fuel' only had 14% oil content. I began running that "awful" airplane fuel in it, with 18% oil, and haven't looked back. You read it all the time in fuel ads, magazines etc.; "Running airplane fuel in your car/truck will ruin the engine." That statement, Tex, is pure and absolute BS.

In over three years of running a couple of stadium trucks, and 17 years of running airplane and helicopetr engines, I have switched nitro contents, many times, for various reasons, and it simply isn't an issue in terms of engine reliability. Performance will differ, certainly. But you won't damage anything.

"Bleeding" shocks refers to getting all the air bubbles out before you close it up. Basically, you leave the plunger all the way down while filling the body almost to the top. Now, slowly move the plunger up and down a few times, "pumping" it so any air bubbles will be moved to the surface of the shock oil. Then top off the oil and screw the top on. Depress the plunger as far as it will go; you want to get a quarter-inch of rebound at least. This is for off-road stadium trucks, which is the limit of my land vehicle experience. I'm sure track cars, etc., are different.

I agree with you regarding a two-speed tranny for the MT2. It would probably be more trouble than its worth. For that matter, hard driving is, I think, the reason for the diff problems with the MT2. I run mine on the street and in grass; no jumping or other exteme stuff, and my diffs are still good.

Now, I am NOT saying that HPI should be absolved of responsibility; this thing is billed as as off-road vehicle, so it should stand up to some abuse.

Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 AM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott,

Those look great. I'm kind of partial to the blue myself. I do like the original orange/yellow too.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Tex_MT2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Personally, I am FIRMLY convinced that the great majority of all this fuel hype is controversy created by marketers and fuel-mongers. I realize that this is probably throwing a grenade into the hen house, but, at least in the US, the pricing structure of fuel tells the story. Specialized "car fuel" costs up to twice as much per gallon as "airplane fuel"; yet it has LESS oil and equal or less nitromethane.

All I know is this; when I got my first r/c car a bit over three years ago, I bought a gallon of "car fuel" and was quite surprised to see that a gallon of 10% nitro Blue Thunder cost $6 more than a gallon of 15% Cool Power. The engine was obviously running hot, and that's when I discovered that the 'car fuel' only had 14% oil content. I began running that "awful" airplane fuel in it, with 18% oil, and haven't looked back. You read it all the time in fuel ads, magazines etc.; "Running airplane fuel in your car/truck will ruin the engine." That statement, Tex, is pure and absolute BS.

"Bleeding" shocks refers to getting all the air bubbles out before you close it up. Basically, you leave the plunger all the way down while filling the body almost to the top. Now, slowly move the plunger up and down a few times, "pumping" it so any air bubbles will be moved to the surface of the shock oil. Then top off the oil and screw the top on. Depress the plunger as far as it will go; you want to get a quarter-inch of rebound at least. This is for off-road stadium trucks, which is the limit of my land vehicle experience. I'm sure track cars, etc., are different.
Thanks for the reply Steve, your anecdote re: aircraft fuel in car motors is interesting. I might bring that up with the guys at the LHS next time I'm in there. As it happens, I got my wires crossed, and the fuel I bought the other day was in fact 20% nitro, so it looks like I'll be running her in on the full strength I intend to run. It seems logical to me that regardless of nitro content, the proper running in of the motor relies on throttle control, not what fuel you're running. Fingers crossed I'm right, but the guys at the LHS didn't seem too fazed when I told them that the manual simply recommended 20% nitro and made no fuel recommendations specfically relating to running in.

As for bleeding shocks, sounds like the exact method we employed when constructing my mate's electric RS4 MT - just wondered if there was a special way I didn't know about which yields extra-special results.

I guess HPI have had to build the MT2 to a budget - it seems to be a pretty good price for what you get, so I'm sure there are some areas that they are forced to compromise on to keep the price down. Obviously the benefit of doing so is debatable when it only seems to result in downtime anyway, I'd imagine most would rather pay a bit more up front, but then everyone doesn't think that way, I guess. I WILL be bashing mine off-road a bit at BMX tracks and the like, so it will be taking some beatings. I think I might spend a bit of time bullet-proofing the MT2 before I even fire her up for run-in. Replace the salad oil, shim the diffs (assuming the mesh isn't ideal), and put some shock socks on it. The time spent now will no doubt equate to longer-lasting fun down the track. Has anyone had any experience with diff locking grease? I was looking on badhorsie.com at their shock socks and saw said grease, and am tempted to try it in the rear...
Old 03-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Spudnik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you guys are long windedlol. anyway i don't need advice cause i am getting a mad force rtr when it comes out
Old 03-30-2004, 08:13 AM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tex,

One glaring trend that I have noted in the past few years is this; it appears to me that the hobby industry, at least the US market, is being driven by price points. These people have sophisticated tools for determining just how much Joe Average Hobbyist, or Junior's Parents, is willing to spend on toys; and price their goods accordingly.

By corollary, the goods must be produced at a cost that will allow strong sales AND profits. Stockholders and general business sense demands ever-increasing profits. Materials and labor costs remain, so corners are cut. The non-adjustable tie rods (steering arms) on the MT2 are a case in point, I believe.

I'll keep this short, so as not to annoy the youngsters...

Old 03-30-2004, 12:43 PM
TheQuakeKing
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think the original mt2 is better.. 2 SPEED BABY!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:01 PM
Nitro Napalm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Everyone, long time since i posted anything. I just got my truck fixed today!!! The person said i shouldn't mess around with the needle too much o well, its purring like a kitten at the moment. I was thinking of changing fuel contents from 10% to 16% but now i don't think i will... too much work Anyway as a warning DON'T MESS WITH NEEDLE TOO MUCH!...unless u know what your doing unlike some noobs like me
Old 03-30-2004, 02:26 PM
stepullsem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all, just received a second hand MT2 but am having problems starting it. Can anyone help?, i reset the carb screws to the original settings and managed to get it going(*took ages) then it went for about 5 mins, stalled and now i cant get it to start again. Is there any tips for starting or some good instructions other than the HPI website.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Tex_MT2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Tex,

One glaring trend that I have noted in the past few years is this; it appears to me that the hobby industry, at least the US market, is being driven by price points. These people have sophisticated tools for determining just how much Joe Average Hobbyist, or Junior's Parents, is willing to spend on toys; and price their goods accordingly.

By corollary, the goods must be produced at a cost that will allow strong sales AND profits. Stockholders and general business sense demands ever-increasing profits. Materials and labor costs remain, so corners are cut. The non-adjustable tie rods (steering arms) on the MT2 are a case in point, I believe.

I'll keep this short, so as not to annoy the youngsters...
I'm sure the US market isn't alone there, that's for sure. Still, I suppose if it helps more people get in to the hobby with a sound basis for future upgrades which will allow them to be competitive while still using the same car they were given a couple of years ago as a gift or originally bought as a basher, then I suppose that philosophy isn't totally flawed. The upgrade parts market helps keep the economy afloat too, I guess!

As an aside, I must say that it's becoming increasingly concerning to me as a young member of this global community (I'm 23) to see the way the world is going when it comes to the capitalist nature of our economies - I'd never thought about it at all even a year ago, but more and more now I'm seeing the effects of the constant push for ever-higher profits, whether it be the cut corners you refer to specifically regarding our little toys, or the laying off of whole call centres when a suitable automated system is found to perform the task of all the workers (as a bank we use recently did with their merchant services staff - would you believe the system they replaced the workers with is 10 times as cumbersome, and takes about 4 times as long to use?!)... There has to be a happy medium somewhere, I hope someone finds it soon!

As for the "youngsters" - meh to them. If they don't want to read it, they can skip our long-winded posts.

Will be sure to keep you updated with my impressions of this beast as I start using it.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:01 PM
EdsWords

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Whoa there Tex and Steve, don't be so judgemental about the companies making these products. I hope they all make a substantial profit so they can keep this hobby growing.

Some of the guys (not myself) can tell you about what things used to cost 20 years ago. By comparison, the cost to buy an RTR today is at an all time low and the quality has never been better. To put it in perspective, today you can get a RTR 50 mph nitro stadium truck for under 250 dollars and it won't be junk.

The progess is a direct result of the manufacturers quest to sell more product make more money. Their hard work has produced some amazing products and has brought the RC hobby to the brink of exploding into the mainstream. I wish it was this easy to get started in RC when I was a kid.

Capitlalism and profiteering make it possible for all of us to buy, hop up, and thrash these vehicles with out spending a fotrune. The thought that HPI, or LOSI, or AE or Traxxas is using price points to exploit young people, or workers for that matter, with their prducts is rediculious. This might sound harsh, but if getting a vehicle without adjustable turnbuckles or the cost of nitro makes you question the motives of the manufacturers of those products you should get out of the hobby and volunteer your free time somewhere.

I was in this thread because I am considering a MT2. It seams like a great deal to me. A 4Wd RTR with the Rotorstart system for under 340 dollars.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:30 PM
bbalash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IM thinking of getting the MT2 but i cant decide between it and the t-maxx or savage. what are some advantages of a stadium truck over a monster truck. and how fast is the mt2 compared to the t-maxx. im not planning on racing i just want to have fun with it. also can you convert the MT2 to a 2-speed.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Grantothismo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: EdsWords

Whoa there Tex and Steve, don't be so judgemental about the companies making these products. I hope they all make a substantial profit so they can keep this hobby growing.

Some of the guys (not myself) can tell you about what things used to cost 20 years ago. By comparison, the cost to buy an RTR today is at an all time low and the quality has never been better. To put it in perspective, today you can get a RTR 50 mph nitro stadium truck for under 250 dollars and it won't be junk.

The progess is a direct result of the manufacturers quest to sell more product make more money. Their hard work has produced some amazing products and has brought the RC hobby to the brink of exploding into the mainstream. I wish it was this easy to get started in RC when I was a kid.

Capitlalism and profiteering make it possible for all of us to buy, hop up, and thrash these vehicles with out spending a fotrune. The thought that HPI, or LOSI, or AE or Traxxas is using price points to exploit young people, or workers for that matter, with their prducts is rediculious. This might sound harsh, but if getting a vehicle without adjustable turnbuckles or the cost of nitro makes you question the motives of the manufacturers of those products you should get out of the hobby and volunteer your free time somewhere.

I was in this thread because I am considering a MT2. It seams like a great deal to me. A 4Wd RTR with the Rotorstart system for under 340 dollars.
I couldn't agree with your more EdsWords.

In 1984 when I got into RC a Tamiya Frog kit cost $250 which was too much, so I ended up with a Tamiya Lancia Rally for $135. No radio, no charger, no batteries - no fun until you get that stuff. If you wanted gas, they all started at $1000 bucks. Because of the price, I actually did not do much RC until the Nitro Stampede came out. For $400, that is how much it cost 6 years ago, I could get the one thing that I could never get as a kid, a gas truck. All that for only 150 more than my Frog and it was RTR. All I needed to by was $15 worth of gas, $2 glow plug adapter and I was running. This hobby/sport has come along way from the 80's - the right way.

Because of the gains HPI has made they now have come out with what I think is the best 4 wheel drive stadium truck. I took mine to the track for the first time Tuesday and it ran flawlessly. No Savage/T-Maxx could keep up with me in the infield twisties. Once you get the engine running at 250 degrees it runs like lightning. I did a bunch of cartwheels trying to learn to jump 4 wheel drive, remember I have a Stampede, but once I got it it is the most forgiving truck I have ever driven.

If you have the means, I highly recommend one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56013.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	117445  
Old 04-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Tex_MT2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: EdsWords

Wow. I do believe things may have been misinterpreted somewhat! I don't believe that either myself or Steve was getting at what you think we were. My comments re capitalism etc. that I posted at the end of my last post were there AS AN ASIDE. By that, I meant a slightly off-topic comment not directly linked to the paragraph above it. So disregard that paragraph when it comes to the specific discussion of the RC industry, please. Capitalism makes the world go 'round, no doubt. I'm no communist, that's for sure!

If anything, I think what Steve and I were saying is that we'd be prepared to pay MORE for products if they included more features. However, the fact is that this is NOT the way much of the target market thinks, therefore it obviously makes sense for companies to build things to a price, to some extent. There's no need to rush to the defence of HPI, Traxxas or anyone else in this industry, as I don't think anyone has said they're doing something wrong by doing so. I think Steve was simply stating his opinion that, for example, the lack of adjustable turnbuckles on the Nitro MT2 are one example of taking a cheaper route. They're certainly not the be-all and end-all, we all know that, but for someone who is willing to pay more for even higher quality products, this might be something they'd like to get as standard. Such a person lamenting the lack of such a feature is not tantamount to condemning the manufacturer for it. I also certainly don't recall anyone using the term EXPLOITATION, that's for sure!

I too bought the MT2 because it looks like great value for the price! I'm not whining about the spec level, and to be honest I don't really see what I've said that might make you think that. As for Steve's comments on nitro fuel, there is something to be said for people spreading misinformation for the sake of selling more of a higher priced product, e.g. marketing nitro car fuel as a necessity in a nitro car, when nitro aircraft fuel is not detrimental to a nitro car motor. I can only take Steve's word for it when it comes to his comments on this particular subject as I have no experience myself, and I find his observations very interesting. If you are happy for yourself and newcomers to the RC hobby to be misled in such situations (assuming for the sake of argument that what Steve says is true), then by all means say nothing and continue to swallow whatever they feed you. But it doesn't hurt to question, does it?

In summary:

-I think the MT2 is great value, and I get the impression Steve does too. I can't wait to fire it up and thrash it
-I think manufacturers DO build to a price point, and I don't think you can logically argue with this. Not only in RC, but everywhere
-I don't think there's anything wrong with this - however, if the products were of higher-spec, I would happily pay a higher price, saving me potential downtime and the necessity of upgrades in the future
-Many consumers don't think of anything other than dollars (spending as few as possible), so the above logic doesn't apply to many in the target market
-My comments re: capitalism in general and the example of it negatively affecting people was NOT supposed to be directly linked to the discussion of RC products

Steve will obviously feel free to correct me if I've misrepresented him on anything here, obviously not speak for him, only convey what I think he was getting at.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Superscott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey there bbalash! Im not sure about the t-maxx but I could give you some info on the savage. I don't own one of those but a friend of mine got me to work on his (tune the engine) and I've drove it a little. Compaired to the MT2 the Savage is top heavy but then again it is a monster truck. Every time I try to take a corner at a high speed it rolls over. The MT2 does not, I can give full throttle and jam it left or right and it goes. The savage may be faster than MT2 but not for long! Yes you can get the 2-speed for the MT2. However its like almost 80 dollars and Tower is out of stock. Also the MT2 and the T-Maxx is 1/10 scale the Savage is 1/8 scale. The MT2 has had some problems with the diffs stripping but that can be fixed with some cheap shims. I don't think that Savage has any problems that I know of. Supposedly the T-Maxx breaks alot but that can be narrowed down to the driver doing dumb stuff like running into a mailbox at full speed. Dude you can't even do that with a real car and not get damaged. The T-Maxx has a ton of hop-ups at a hobby store near you. Alot of the Nitro MT hop-ups fit the MT2. So I guess it's really up to you. But don't let ANYONE tell you what to buy, you should get what YOU want. Hope I helped a little.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:36 PM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

EdsWords, I'll echo Tex's comments. Those of us willing to pay a bit more for a higher level of quality are in the minority.

While I agree with your observation that quality is generally higher and prices more affordable today than yesteryear, there are some glaring exceptions. As one, I'll offer those miserable OS LA series of airplane engines. Yes, they are cheap. Yes, they run. But they have nowhere near the quality of the FP series they replaced. And they were built to be sold as cheaply as possible. There is no other reason for their introduction. Also, you'd better believe that the big firms are keeping a CLOSE eye on market trends and spending habits.

I know more about this than I care to, because I did a column in a heli magazine for four years and was privy to some industry "inside scoop". When you get to the big leagues (Horizon, the Great Planes/Hobbico/Tower Hobbies conglomerate some refer to as The Evil Empire, etc.), its all about bottom line. For instance, one of those firms was told, by their resident heli expert, that a certain new machine would not sell well because it was basically a POS, and US pilots would not be impressed. The marketing studies (done by bean counters) said otherwise, so they imported this dog over the expert's objections. Any guesses as to the commercial success (or more correctly, the lack thereof) of the model?

I know of many other examples of big-company avarice. A certain brand of digital servos are a case in point. We were getting raped on those from the domestic supplier, until gray-market sales finally got their attention. You think that the manufacturer suddenly reduced the price, or that the importer suddenly decided to cut their profit margin out of the goodness of their hearts??? Right.

It was, and is, NOT my intention to bash the industry in general. They have to eat too. But I stand by my contention that, on the whole, business- including the hobby business- is looking to maximize profits anyway they can. There are several ways to do that, but the easiest is to cut back on production/marketing costs. Those big-buck, glitzy ads sell product, so they aren't going anywhere. What's left?

BTW, do you have any idea what a full-page color ad in a main-line hobby magazine costs these days? It will boggle your mind.

Anyway, off the soapbox. Thanks for the alternate viewpoint, EdsWords.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:14 PM
Spudnik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would agree with the fact that i would pay more for more quilty in a product. i am how ever a younger member of this hobby (14) and buy everything MYSELF with no help form my parents. if a truck will cost 30 bucks more then the cheap one then the 30 more getts my pick cause i will be spending less money in the long run of things. and yes soime truck are priced to sell cheap with crap stuuf in them (ie rustler, most of the duratrax stuff ct) but they are providing the product to people that want this type of product. mommy wants child to be happy so she will get him a truack that is the cheapest out there.

the only reason that there are products that are dirt cheap is because there are people that want dirt chaep products. that is why the rtr type trucks came out. cause joey wanted a truck but didn't want to build it and his parents couldn't do it for him. so a company (i think it was traxxas) made the first rtr andit snowballed from there.

that is the reason for every thing. some wants something so some makes something for them to make money. tv dinners, yogert in a tube, snake sive servings ect were all made cause someone wanted it and a guy/girl made it to sell it to them to make.

companies like losi do offer all hop ups kits for us people so we are being heard and not thrown to the side. i say that people should stop crying about stuff that is not affecting them. i am not crying when earth quakes happen in japan cause it does not affect me. i don't care if companies are going to make chaep product cause i go and buy the better products that are out.

some my psot just goes to show you that just because i am younger then you are does not mean i am stupider then you.

as a cloeser line i am going to say that want cause new products to be made
Old 04-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Superscott

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok you people have hijacked this thread Lets get back to the MT2, has anyone got the 2 speed yet? My stupid diff is stripped again! This is really getting on my nerves. Now I have to order new parts. I might as well get some extras. Steve have you permantly fixed your diff yet? You had said that your larger gears have stripped, mine have not it is the gears inside, you know the two little gears inside the planetary (I think thats what it is called) have you noticed any wear in there?
Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 AM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott,

My diffs have NOT stripped. Dunno where you got that idea. I have not been into them since I tore the front one down when the truck was new, and saw that the gears in the truck were the same as what HPI had sent me.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Spudnik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you mean i wrote all of that for no reason[:@]
Old 04-05-2004, 07:07 AM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nobody said you were stupid, savage 14.

However, your attitude that "If it doesn't affect me, I don't worry about it" is a major reason why... never mind.

But as a matter of fact, what Tex and I were discussing DOES affect you, because the trends in the industry are just that; trends. The further cheapening of the products offered is going to continue; and if you stay in the hobby, you will be affected.

Call it whining if you will; do not believe it if you so choose. The facts remain.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:12 PM
EdsWords

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you check out the post from GranTohismo, you will see that an electric 15-20 mph buggy kit with no battery, charger, or radio cost 250 dollars in 1984. I am not sure, but factor in the cost of inflation, and that buggy would cost 400-500 in todays dollars. To put it in perspective, you can get a Baha King 2WD buggy for 80 dollars today.

The RTR vehicles have compromises for sure. But think about it this way. If an RTR Evader or Rustler cost 500 dollars no one would buy it. The fact is that the products are not getting cheaper, they are getting better and are bringing more new people various income levels to the hobby

I am curious, can you share with us the high quality kits you used to buy 5, 10 or 15 years ago that were so much better than the kits available today? I think most of the RTR vehicles of today would completely out perform any kit from 5 or 10 years ago.

If anything, the vehicles have far too much performance. RTR stadium trucks are being pulled out of the box, started up, adjusted too lean, and run right into a tree over 30 mph. Something breaks, and it's the trucks fault and you can send the broken parts to the manufactuer for free replacements.

The lack of adjustable turnbuckes on the RTR MT2 (back on topic) is a huge non-issue. They are available, as are a bunch of other hop ups, from HPI. That is the great thing about the hobby. You can buy your first kit or RTR for under 300. Learn how to drive and maintain it, and then hop it up or get a another vehicle.

If you want to spend 1000 - 5000 dollars and do some serious competitive racing, the parts you need are out there are and a bunch of companies will all gladly sell them to you. It is the competiton between the manufacturers that is giving customers the quality they demand. Do you think HPI designed the new R40, Pro 4 or MT2 just so they could sell a cheaper product? I think everyone woudl agree all 3 of those cars are significantly better than their predecessors.

They are doing it so they can win races, and sell more stuff to people who want to buy pruducts from manufacturers who win races. And there are a lot of manufacturers out there trying to do the same thing: Team Associated, CEN, Duratrax, HPI, Hot Bodies, Kyosho, Losi, Megatec, Mugen, Ofna, Schumacher, Traxxas, Tamiya, XTM to name a few.

The best thing is, they all need to sell prodcut to survive and we are the beneficiaries of all of their R & D. I don't see this hobby the same way as some you do. The costs are down and the sales are up - What's wrong with that?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Nitro Napalm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Devils Work - Replacing Diffs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45357.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	119307   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78344.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	119308  
Old 04-06-2004, 07:50 AM
LSP972

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sigh.

I thought that my reference to the OS LA aircraft engines would make the point that I'm speaking of the hobby industry IN GENERAL. Apparently not.

I will not question your points about the r/c car side of the house being much better these days. I am relatively new to that aspect of the hobby. However, my point regarding the turnbuckles is valid. The Rush, a basic entry-level truck from HPI, had adjustable ones. The MT2, a supposed higher level of quality, does not.

I will be very interested to see what the Rush Evo comes with. If it has a solid molding like the MT2, then my point is further validated. There can only be one reason for eliminating the adjustable feature; a reduction in parts count, i.e., costs.

I stand behind my contention that the industry, AS A WHOLE, is cutting corners and lowering quality at the bottom-level price points. Sure, one can buy any manner of high-priced upgrade part, and some even are of excellent quality. And the car/truck business may be different from aircraft. There, you can be sure that the high-end upgrade parts market is NOT where the firms are making their money.

I would imagine that the car/truck market in general is much larger than the other disciplines combined, and therefore trends are a bit different. But during my 18 years in this hobby, I have watched quality go down in some areas, and up dramatically in others. The latter has been accompanied by a commensurate increase in price. The former has NOT been accompanied by a lower price.

And that's all I'm trying to say.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service