RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Jato will not shift into 2nd gear

Old 11-01-2018, 06:10 AM
MonteEvader
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Jato will not shift into 2nd gear

Morning All!

I purchased a used Traxxas Jato and thought I fixed enough on it to get it running great. Yesterday I took it out and the car does not shift to second gear. After getting to those high speeds, it's as if it goes into neutral with wheels just rolling. I have to wait for RPMs to come down and the car seems to shift back into first just fine. Do I need to a new tranny?
Old 11-03-2018, 04:15 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

It’s probably a problem with the 2spd clutch or one-way clutch bearing inside the transmission. Have to pull the trans and pull it all apart.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:17 AM
MonteEvader
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
It’s probably a problem with the 2spd clutch or one-way clutch bearing inside the transmission. Have to pull the trans and pull it all apart.
This should be fun. Let’s give it a whirl! I’m sure there’s a YouTube video somewhere out there to show me how. I appreciate the quick response. I’ll take it apart this weekend and check both parts
Old 11-03-2018, 05:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteEvader

This should be fun. Let’s give it a whirl! I’m sure there’s a YouTube video somewhere out there to show me how. I appreciate the quick response. I’ll take it apart this weekend and check both parts
My Jato stopped shifting into second gear a few years ago. The 2nd year pawl was broken. Replace that and it was good to go, so I’d suspect the same issue with your rig. While you have it apart and out of the truck, I’d recommend replacing the plastic brake cam arm with an aluminum one. The brakes on these trucks suck butt bone stock.