Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

What replacement engine for RC-10GT?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

What replacement engine for RC-10GT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What replacement engine for RC-10GT?

A friend's RC-10GT is in need of a new engine. His truck is about 3-4 years old and came with the Thunder Tiger .15, which is now out of production best that we can tell.

What STOCK (i.e., non-racing, non-super high performance, etc.) engine would be a drop-in replacement? He knows he'll need another clutch/clutch drum, but what we're looking for is a production .15 that will basically be a drop-in replacement for the Thunder Tiger.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:14 AM
CJ3B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What replacement engine for RC-10GT?

For $99.00 + shipping, you can get a O.S. .18 engine at Tower Hobby.

I bought one, and I have not looked back! Insane Speeds and wheelies!

Old 02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
ncgrunt

Nah, really all they did was rename it the .15X. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHTN2&P=0

If he's just needing I rebuild, I'd look into whether or not the .15X piston/sleeve will fit the old .15. If you're going to but a new engine, I'd really get something else, since you can get one for the same basic price (maybe cheaper) than the .15X.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:15 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

honestly, i wouldn't even bother...i'd go with a Fantom FR15 or a .12CV-R
Old 02-08-2005, 11:54 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

A friend's RC-10GT is in need of a new engine. His truck is about 3-4 years old and came with the Thunder Tiger .15, which is now out of production best that we can tell.

What STOCK (i.e., non-racing, non-super high performance, etc.) engine would be a drop-in replacement? He knows he'll need another clutch/clutch drum, but what we're looking for is a production .15 that will basically be a drop-in replacement for the Thunder Tiger.
Steve,

You, or your friend, need to call Associated. They have a trade in option to where you send in your old engine and they'll replace it with a new one for half price, which will be around $75.00. Now, since they don't produce his engine any more, there may be a snag, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Associated has the 15X engine (the newest RC10 engine) listed at $149 and Tower has it listed for $109. I just bought one (RC10GT) and it will move. I have been quite impressed with the performance so far. If he wants to keep original (Associated), I'd recommend the 15X.

If he wants to go with something different, I'd recommend the OS 15CV. I've heard/read only good things about this one, plus it'll keep him in the same class as most of the other RC10's, the
.15 class. If he goes with anything larger, such as an .18, he's no longer in the same class, when it comes to racing. If he doesn't plan on racing, I'd go with the XTM .18.

Good luck,

John
Old 02-08-2005, 12:39 PM
stangman86gt
My Feedback: (1)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LRA212&P=1 is this the same as the ae .15x engine? When i went to look at the muffler they recommended it looked like a plane muffler, So, i didn't know if this was a plane engine or a car/truck engine. If you know say something =) cause that price is nice hehee
Old 02-08-2005, 03:48 PM
flyinhi

That engine is made by tower hobbies.It is a car engine.You do not have to use that exaust.It is not the same as the AE .15x.The AE engine is faster.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Diver09

how fast do you think the rc-10gt will go stock?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:18 PM
dougi3000
My Feedback: (4)

which OS .18 engine are you talking about? There are at least 15 different OS 18 engines on tower all for $99.
I would like a pull start.

ORIGINAL: CJ3B

For $99.00 + shipping, you can get a O.S. .18 engine at Tower Hobby.

I bought one, and I have not looked back! Insane Speeds and wheelies!

Old 02-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Frost_

ORIGINAL: yard-dart

If he wants to go with something different, I'd recommend the OS 15CV. I've heard/read only good things about this one, plus it'll keep him in the same class as most of the other RC10's, the
.15 class. If he goes with anything larger, such as an .18, he's no longer in the same class, when it comes to racing. If he doesn't plan on racing, I'd go with the XTM .18.

Good luck,

John
A few things here... The 15CV is pretty weak. It is easy to tune though, but then again so is the 15 CV-R. The AE.15 without restrictor made right at 1 HP on the dyno. The 15CV dyno'd at almost 0.7HP and the CV-R at 1.33HPwith an OS tuned pipe and 20% race fuel. As far as the XTM goes... it's actually pretty far down the totem poll of .18s too; with it's very low RPMs, with the same gearing it will be slower than the stock AE.15 (as will the 15 CV). Can you believe in a controlled, real-world test of almost all of the 18s available that the OS18 topped the charts? It was competeing against a few serious engines I might add. It beat out the expensive Italian Sirio race motor, which (now while it is on sale at Tower) costs over twice as much. The Epic 18 came second to the OS. You really can't beat that 100 dollar price on the OS. The Epic can't be found for less than 130.

That said, the OS 15 CV-R keeps with the great reliability and ease of tuning that the stock AE.15 has, and isn't such a step up that you are gonna have to worry about things like twisting/breakin CV shafts, stripping the gears in the tranny, and all of the other fun things that most 18s have a way of doing to your truck .
Old 02-08-2005, 06:23 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

the .15 CVR is inanely expensive and DISCONTINUED.
the FR15 side exhaust pullstart engine is cheaper IIRC.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:10 PM
Frost_

Wow, it's been months since I looked at ANY .15.... When did they disc. it?

...and I agree... if you want a 15 that Fantom is as stong as the CV-R [was], and just as reliable.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I dunno, i was gonna get a CVR 15 for the GT, and i found out they were discontinued. only CVR's on OS's site are the 12 and 18s. the FR15 IMO is PLENTY strong for ANY stadium truck.