RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-Official Traxxas JATO Thread-

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:00 PM
LearjetMech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -Official Traxxas JATO Thread-

Hey all,
Totally new to this spectrum of RC. I have been into airplanes (RC and Full Scale)for some time, worked on real airplanes for awhile, and now I am a maintenence instructor. Anyway, I went out and finally purchased a Jato 3.3. Always wanted a nitro truck and finally boned up and got permission and bought it. Got it broken in today. Started to lean it out and that sucker flat sh*ts and gits!!! I know nothing about the car side of the house, but I have lots of rc experience. A few questions I have..... The whole radio setup seems kind of cheap to me. I think I can live with it for awhile, but the steering servo I think needs to be changed. What servo is recommended that is relatively inexpensive and/or linkage should be changed? 2. The tires are NOT good for anything but pavement, as I'm sure all of you know. I need a tip on what tire to buy for grass/dirt. Again I have no clue.
I look forward to talking with everyone here that I can. Dont laugh at me for asking stupid questions. If ya got any airplane questions (real ones) I can help answer them. By the way does anyone know what JATO stands for (This is a quiz question)!
Nik
Old 12-23-2006, 08:57 PM
osuwins

my advice to you would be to just start reading the threads, you will get your answer if asked but reading helps to, the dirt hawgs r a good allterrain tire, thats what i mostly run,, JATO--JET ASSISTANT TAKE OFF[ have fun with your jato
Old 12-23-2006, 09:00 PM
LearjetMech

I hear ya. Correct on the acronym, except "assisted". Anyway this thread is HUGE! I'll check ou those tires. Thanks!!
N
Old 12-23-2006, 09:32 PM
outwheelin

LearjetMech, welcome to the world of land vehicles. Your best bet is to pick up a set of 2.2 rims as there are not a lot of tires that will fit the stock rims. There are many different 2.2 tires to choose from depending on your needs. You can see a good list of tires [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=2.2+tire&FVPROFIL=++&search3=Go]here[/link]

Good luck !

Happy holiday's to everyone !
Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 PM
LearjetMech

Will the 2.2 rims fit right on or is their a conversion kit that I will need? What rims do you suggest. Looks are second to functionality and price!! Also what is 2.2. I assume it is a measurement of some kind. Is it rim/tire width, diameter, or height? Thanks again!!
N
Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 PM
Wild YFZ 450

I say hitech servo 625mg or something and gladiators rear they last rly long
Old 12-24-2006, 10:22 AM
osuwins

2.2 is the diameter of the rim, the stock size is 2.8 i have experimented with different rims from other companys and tires, some tires requier some beed triming to get them to fit some not. i like 2.2 rims because most tires will fit right on. im sure you have a dremil, some of the 2.2 rims do need spacers and you might need to dremil some of the inside of the back rims so the blue pin or screw will clear.. as you start to buy tires you will start to notice they come hard to soft some with foam some without, everyone has there own way that may work for you are not., a lot of sites have good info too like this one, http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...s/g-chains.asp good luck
Old 12-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Wild YFZ 450

What are the things that a jato should have fully equipped i have alot of stuff on mine and i am wondering what else i shoulud get
Old 12-24-2006, 05:26 PM
LearjetMech

Just my luck!! I went to the hobby shop today to get some tires, rims, and a RX battery pack per ya'll reccomendations!! All is well. I figure I would go ahead and get this stuff so I can play since the hobby shops will be closed for two days. Of course I had to organize my garage first. After three hours of organizing I sit down to fiddle with the car. And CRAPOLA!!! My right front lower control arm is busted!!!!!!! I was screwing around yesterday and kissed a curb in the parking lot in a glancing blow. Misjudgement on depth perception. Not the cars fault, total driver error! I drove around for a good hour after that with no mishaps. Wondering why I kept having to trim the steering servo both ways. I attributed it to the slanting concrete. Well now of course ALL the hobby shops are closed for TWO days!!!! I WANT MY MOMMY (I'm 32)!!!!!!!!!! Anyboby local to the Denton, TX area with a spare. It is a longshot but I'll ask anyway!!
N.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:03 PM
ford f150

so the jato has a 2.8 tire????????
Old 12-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

ORIGINAL: 161005445

so the jato has a 2.8 tire????????
Yes, Factory is equiped with the odball 2.8" wheel. When your ready for new tires, buy 2.2" wheels and tires. The options are limitless, unlike the 5 or so different styles in the 2.8" size
Old 12-24-2006, 07:13 PM
ford f150

i dont own a jato i was just curious because i thought the 1/10 stadiam trucks had a standard 2.2 size.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:33 AM
osuwins

Dude i feel your pain, you could say thats part of breaking it in,it pays to buy spare parts even when you dont need to,i only have the one car so thats where my money goes, the rear shock tower is a must when bashing,, oh yea dont forget to drill a small air hole on the inside of some rims for the tires to breath. did you get any rpm parts if not you should, trust me u should,, lets see some pic. of you ride
ORIGINAL: LearjetMech

Just my luck!! I went to the hobby shop today to get some tires, rims, and a RX battery pack per ya'll reccomendations!! All is well. I figure I would go ahead and get this stuff so I can play since the hobby shops will be closed for two days. Of course I had to organize my garage first. After three hours of organizing I sit down to fiddle with the car. And CRAPOLA!!! My right front lower control arm is busted!!!!!!! I was screwing around yesterday and kissed a curb in the parking lot in a glancing blow. Misjudgement on depth perception. Not the cars fault, total driver error! I drove around for a good hour after that with no mishaps. Wondering why I kept having to trim the steering servo both ways. I attributed it to the slanting concrete. Well now of course ALL the hobby shops are closed for TWO days!!!! I WANT MY MOMMY (I'm 32)!!!!!!!!!! Anyboby local to the Denton, TX area with a spare. It is a longshot but I'll ask anyway!!
N.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:37 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol bro, good luck, only a day left
Old 12-25-2006, 02:36 PM
LearjetMech

Well I spent about 2 hours last night engineering a fix. Melted the plastic together with a soldering knife. Then I wrapped it in fiberglass and epoxy and let it cure. IT WAS an awesome fix. I ran it on the street this morning. Then I decided to try the new tires in the yard. WOW! What a difference. The car actually moves rather than sitting there laughing at you. It moves so well that it got attracted to my landscaping bricks head on. I guess it was Christmas love or something. Anyway, it broke again in the same spot and in another spot on the same arm. I guess I need to put a govenor on the daam throttle, or how about some shock treatment when it gets too fast. Another thing that ticks me off is the darned hobby shop. He is a Traxxas dealer right. I told him I wanted a rechargable RX pack. He threw one in the bag. I get home, charge it overnight and go to put it in and it doesnt fit. NOT EVEN CLOSE!!. It is a 3 and 2. I think I need a flat 5, or a 4 and 1. At least the rims he sold me fit!! Anyway, I will probably buy the stock A arm and then get the RPM replacements. From what I am reading if you use the RPM's, then the front sway bar goes bye-bye. Is this true. If so what changes will I see with out it. Anything noticeable to me. Should I do anything to compensate for its loss? Maybe that swaybar is actually a curb/brick magnet and I should have 86'd it along time ago. Having lost of fun working on it though. Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope you got lots of goodies.
N
Old 12-25-2006, 03:06 PM
osuwins

i dont run the antisway bar in my ride but if your just starting out i would protect the front end as much as posible, there not expensive 10 bucks each, and keep you bashing longer, heres a look
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52733.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	583484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27717.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	583485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92184.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	583486  
Old 12-25-2006, 10:29 PM
crazytank7

OK.. Today was the first time for me actually running my Jato since i purchased it 2 weeks ago.. THIS THING IS CRAZY FAST!!!!I can see it now that I am going to need new tires every payday for this thing because all it does it just spins the hell out of them.. and my next accomplishment is to try and find out a way to keep the front end down under WOT. Any ideas that you have post them up.. As of now i am 100% satisfied with this RC car..
Old 12-26-2006, 12:50 AM
KRO

OK.. Today was the first time for me actually running my Jato since i purchased it 2 weeks ago.. THIS THING IS CRAZY FAST!!!!I can see it now that I am going to need new tires every payday for this thing because all it does it just spins the hell out of them.. and my next accomplishment is to try and find out a way to keep the front end down under WOT. Any ideas that you have post them up.. As of now i am 100% satisfied with this RC car.

LOL , told ya !

If you dont want to add alum parts like I did , you could add some lead weights too the front bumper . Also get a flat battery pack for the receiver and use the batt box at the center of the car , this helps with the wheelies .

Mine still wheelies though and it is almost fully aluminum .

Wait till you get a decent set of dirt tires and run it off road , it really comes alive in the dirt .
Old 12-27-2006, 07:26 AM
R_man_5k
My Feedback: (14)

yes 2.2 is the standard. traxxas brought out a 2.8 about the same total size though. the 2.8 just has a larger rim and smaller side walls on the tire. would be good if some one actually made good tires for it. untill then I just run on the standard 2.2s
Old 12-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Wild YFZ 450

ok i got a problem with my jato..it wont' start i changed glow plug etc it will keep turning over and if i put my finger on the exhaust to try and prime it it will like spit out alot of smoke and send gas into the gas tank like a lil explosion i tryed everything about to bring it to my lhs 2marro
Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
R_man_5k

it spits out smoke when you try to prime it? I have never seen that. How would it make the smoke if the motor is off? do you have any way of posting a vid of what it is doing?
I would get it to your LHS or call Traxxas Customer Service ASAP.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:08 PM
crazytank7

ORIGINAL: R_man_5k

it spits out smoke when you try to prime it? I have never seen that.
[sm=what_smile.gif][sm=omg_smile.gif] +1 Where there is smoke there is fire...?
Keep us posted.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Wild YFZ 450

ya ima go to my lhs 2marro and see wat the prob is ill let u guys kno
Old 12-28-2006, 08:59 PM
R_man_5k

yes please do let us know. I am very intrested in what would cause that.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:44 PM
LearjetMech

Your "Smoke" needle is too rich. That leads me to an idea. Has anyone that you heard of run a smoke tank on an RC car like we do in airplanes? I think that would look bad arse running down the road!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.