Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

TURBOCHARGER on my nitro car, and it works

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

TURBOCHARGER on my nitro car, and it works

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 01:21 PM
shvdcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TURBOCHARGER on my nitro car, and it works

Well to explain a few things im running an airplane fuel pump to help force enough fuel when the turbo hits boost. And the turbo's exhaust compressor is ported large and smooth for full flow and yet enough to spin the wheel at a sufficiant rpm to make power. Had a problem at first, not enough blades on the exhaust wheel, so it didnt hit boost till the end of the motors rpm's. So i added 2 more blades and that cured that problem. And yea your half right about the boost blowing right through the motor and out the exhaust when the pistons down but when it comes back up i snag at least an estimated 45% out of a 100% plus the insane amounts of fuel im dumping at the same time create the extra hp i was hoping to get out of the project. And the reason for the liquid cooling is because i figured that since i was going to ram some air into this motor that i might get a rapid change in head temps so i stopped that problem dead in its tracks with the liquid cooled idea. And after all said and done didnt even notice the measly amount of so called weight that i added to my truck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64872.jpg
Views:	9412
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	285930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19866.jpg
Views:	11907
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	285931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89667.jpg
Views:	9723
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	285932  
Attached Images     
Old 06-16-2005, 01:24 PM
rushdude
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: TURBOCHARGER on my nitro car, and it works

Why would anyone believe you? Atleast provide pics.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:26 PM
yoster

and where would you find a turbo small enough to fit to a nitro engine... unless you used some small electric fan or something
Old 06-16-2005, 01:54 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

Impressive looking job. Did you do all of the machining yourself? If so, very nice.

Are you really comfortable with the radiator out front? Doesn't it make your ride front heavy and aren't you concerned with what will happen to it if you run into something. Also, how do you pump the water through the cooling head?

Regardless of that its still sweet.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:15 PM
shvdcat

ive actually smashed the radiator several time before and it takes it well. as to weight, didnt even notice it at all. The machining of the turbo was done by a friend of mine at a machine shop around the corner from my house. And my buddy oh so violent jay built and fabbed my chassie and front shocktower brace out of aircraft aluminum. I use two Perry fuel pumps for an airplane, one to pump the antifreeze through the head and radiator, and one to pump the fuel to the engine for the turbo. thanx for the comment.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:29 PM
savageman90
My Feedback: (12)

where are u from in WI
Old 06-16-2005, 04:41 PM
doogie494

c'mon dude, same pics as the last 3 months. we need a video at least to know your not b.s.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
cossie

i would love for you to tell me how you changed the engine timing so that the exhaust port is closed when the fuel intake is open so that pressure or "boost" can be built as rc engines dont have valves
Old 06-16-2005, 05:29 PM
killer89
My Feedback: (-1)

This is the biggest load of bull I have ever heard... You can't put forced induction on our nitro engines. It is impossible. This is because the exhaust port closes after the intake ports. If you look at the sleeve, you will see that the top of the exhaust port is higher than any other intake ports. Therefore when the piston is reaching the top of the stroke, pressure gained, if any at all, by your so called "turbocharger" would be forced out of the exhaust port. Therefore forced induction does not work on our nitro engines, not even the slightest amount.

Also, by having all of this blowby, you are not only waisting tons of fuel, but you are also eliminating the natural forced induction created by a tuned pipe. A tuned pipe creates backpressure. This is when the exhaust gases reach the end of the pipe and reverberate back to the engine. When an engine is running, some of the fresh air and fuel mixture is expelled out of the exhaust port. What the backpressure does however, is push this air and fuel back into the combustion chamber. Since all of the other ports excluding the exhaust are closed, this creates a natural forced induction. Have you ever wondered why our nitro engines run with much more torque and horsepower with tuned pipes instead of open pipes? This is also why tuned pipes can also be considered "low end" or "high end" pipes. This is mostly due to the shape and length of the pipe which causes the backpressure to be most efficient at different RPM ranges.

And since your "turbocharger" doesn't work and merely heats up your engine, I bet you will go much faster by sticking a nice tuned pipe on it and going back to air cooled.

Fools will always have foolish notions...
Old 06-16-2005, 06:06 PM
rushdude

ORIGINAL: shvdcat
I use two Perry fuel pumps for an airplane, one to pump the antifreeze through the head and radiator, and one to pump the fuel to the engine for the turbo.
Why would you use anti-freeze? Anti-freeze is an additive to water in a cars radiator to prevent water from freezing in the winter. I want proof by means of a picture of a radar gun with your car going by.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:17 PM
zr1s10

I'm from South Milwaukee, WI when I'm on leave. Otherwise stationed in S. Korea!

Looks very nice!! Never seen a square turbo before [>:] I like the intercooler too!!

GREAT JOB!
Old 06-16-2005, 07:48 PM
epicrc10

ORIGINAL: rushdude

I use two Perry fuel pumps for an airplane, one to pump the antifreeze through the head and radiator, and one to pump the fuel to the engine for the turbo.
Why would you use anti-freeze? Anti-freeze is an additive to water in a cars radiator to prevent water from freezing in the winter. I want proof by means of a picture of a radar gun with your car going by.
actually anti-freeze has other significance other than just to prevent freezing. The antifreeze mixed with the water not only makes the water have a lower freezing point , but a higher boiling point as well. In doing this the antifreeze/ water mixture is able to pull more heat out of an engine without evaporating.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Killer 89 I like your signature and I agree with your above statement. But some people will calm the worst is the best just like the things in your signature. All so most know if super and turbo charging was all that good it would be all over the RC sites not just one or two that are blowing smoke. Would look good on a show truck or self-queen.

Shvdcat that is a real nice job but it still is very impractical and a big waste. But if you are having fun playing with it that is what counts.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
tommythecat

Antifreeze also acts as an anticorosive agent.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: rushdude

LOL what a newb! I'd at least use coolant with out anti freeze. Think about it, soon as the water heats up, it stays at that temp. That puny radiator wont do crap, even with a fan. This guy is all talk, you are best skipping this thread
Old 06-17-2005, 12:16 AM
living my life

That "puny radiator" is about the same size as the heating cores in small cars. Think those do crap??

I would never put a turbo on my rc but since he did it im interested to hear some of the details like others are asking. And as far as cooling what the temp is after a few minutes of running.

Also you know some people have as much fun building stuff as they do playing with it.

....Learn to be a little more open minded....
Old 06-17-2005, 01:09 AM
shvdcat

I expected some poor comments when i posted this thread. BUT!!!!!!!!! tell that to RBINOVATIONS.com who have been producing rc nitro superchargers for awhile now. Call them up and say "hey you guys are full of crap, forced induction doesnt work on 2 stroke nitro engines. After their done laughing at you cause they are rich because they got it to work dont be suprised. They have proof. I took that same idea and my knowlage of turbochargers and ran with it. My design and a $800,000 4 axis cnc machine we have produced the smallest fully funtioning turbocharger in the world. And if you read my first post in this thread you would see the components i used and why. Thnx for the good comments people. I will post a short video and more pics by tomarrow...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54698.jpg
Views:	2610
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	286212  
Old 06-17-2005, 04:24 AM
subsy

looks great mate & i agree fully with "living my life" - Learn to be more open minded hes obviously put alot of work in to this project. Good work.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:55 AM
badz

I expected some poor comments when i posted this thread. BUT!!!!!!!!! tell that to RBINOVATIONS.com who have been producing rc nitro superchargers for awhile now. Call them up and say "hey you guys are full of crap, forced induction doesnt work on 2 stroke nitro engines. After their done laughing at you cause they are rich because they got it to work dont be suprised. They have proof. I took that same idea and my knowlage of turbochargers and ran with it. My design and a $800,000 4 axis cnc machine we have produced the smallest fully funtioning turbocharger in the world. And if you read my first post in this thread you would see the components i used and why. Thnx for the good comments people. I will post a short video and more pics by tomarrow...

First off the site you posted isn't in exsistance...RBINOVATIONS.com don't exsist. Second off your running a RC Marine engine you didn't modify crap to water cool that engine....and next is go read here dude...http://www.lextreme.com/Turbo.htm

Your bs'n everyone people aren't so stupid your little gadget you made has no intercooler, no compressor no wastegate and NO LITTLE NITRO ENGINE can take 500-600 degree F temps it'll melt...so show me your melted pile of aluminum aloy and maybe i'll believe you. What you made is forced air induction nothing more which your little engine doesn't need it's gaining nothing by it. Turbochargers emit 6-10psi you think that weak little engine can take that? With what 1lb compression max LOL your wacked dude. You must think your working on a Nitro Funny Car here but hey dude it's a 4 STROKE....you can't turbo a 2cycle UNLESS you diesel it out......sheesh kids....btw I'm running a Pratt and Whitney F100 PW229 with 27,000 pounds of thrust in my Jato, wanna race? I promise I won't use afterburner
Old 06-17-2005, 09:07 AM
samisnake

woa theres a lot of technical mumbo jumbo flyin round this thread. i say the only way to prove or disprove shvcats dillusions/statements woteva ur stance on the matter is, is by viewin a vid of the car in action. seein as these photos have been already passed round for months now in the 'show me ur car' thread, i dont actually think it works. all we have are glamour shots of the car and turbocharger, whooppeee. just my 2penneth worth

btw badz, ill take u on with my hpi 15fe anyday, id smoke u
Old 06-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Medrivfast

Can we at least see a better pic of the Turbo installed on the car.

Whether it works or not. I think it's a cool thing to view and just make it a show car. I mean how many show R/C's are out there with a mock up Turbo and a front mount intercooler.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Ovgron

What 4-stroke engine you gonna use it on?
Old 06-17-2005, 02:39 PM
dsmfreaks

hey badz i just wanna know what kinda nitro motor you have that reaches 500+deg.....i can tell you on a bad day most nitro's only hit 350 deg WITHOUT proper tuning..befor making more mindless comments please use your brain and search a lil more. www.rbinnovations.com this is the link to rb's site so if you still think it cant be done i dont know what to tell you......Also they even have a few vids on the site.. I oh so violent jay am a machinest and have seen this thing in action and it works...the ammount of boost it makes is just what these nitro motors need to reach maxx power output..if you have any more questions please take a min or 2 to check out RB's site...
Old 06-17-2005, 03:19 PM
tommythecat

ORIGINAL: killer89
What the backpressure does however, is push this air and fuel back into the combustion chamber.
The backpressure you speak of is exactly why it may be possible to add a small ammount of boost to a nitro 2-stroke despite the lack of exhaust valves. With the proper tuned pipe, your backsurge from the tuned pipe may help to contain and add additional pressure to the pressurized charge being provided by the turbo or supercharger. Obviously the gains wouldn't be nearly what you see from turbos on valved engines, but if you get everything just right I could see how a nice little gain could be possible. Not that the gains would be worth the added fuel costs, but the coolness factor of building something like this on your own is definatley worth the extar nitro.

Please note that just because I quoted killer89, the following is in no way directed solely at him, I only quoted him to make my point that the tuned pipe backpressure may allow turbo/super charger to work despite the lack of exhaust valves in 2 stroke nitros.

I do not know any of this for a fact as I have never tried it myself or witnessed a supercharger on a nitro engine, but I can see how you could definately get some minimal gain. Although I would think a direct drive supercahrger would be more effective than a turbo.

Regardless, I do not understand everyone's need to flame over the topic. Even if the turbo gives no gain at all, it is still awesome that he built it. It's not like the guy is on here spamming the forums relentlessly trying to sell them. He built something cool and decided to share it with us, and personally I am glad he did. I thought the whole point of these forums were to discuss ideas in a respectful manner, not to just jump on every opportunity available to assert ones opinion while demeaning others ideas and attempting to convey intellectual superiority. I seriously think some of you need to either lay off of the caffeine or else go get a girlfriend or something. If you search for release through internet forums by bashing others, you really need help.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Kemo

Heh, like those superchargers work. I have several buddies who tried suing RBInnovations for making a product that simply doesn't work the way they claim it does. Think of it this way... is your R/C car going to work if you feed it compressed air(forced air thru carb) ? Try it, i bet it'll just simply die. This guy just wants to be "cool", and for him to support RB is even more of a laugh.
If you search for release through internet forums by bashing others, you really need help.
It isnt a "search for release". Some people are so ignorant that they cant understand simple reasoning why surpercharging and turbocharging a 2 cycle simply doesnt work! I could see a purpose on the 4 stroke rc engine, but like the rest of the junk on his truck, added weight. That little "radiator" doesnt do crap to cool anything, there isnt a fan to cool it either. Think of it this way, if any of that bull plop worked, then why isn't everyone else using it? Remember that little product called the "Fuel Optimizer"? Yeah, exactly my point, if it worked, every car would have it!

EDIT - >
That "puny radiator" is about the same size as the heating cores in small cars. Think those do crap??
Think about this, a car isnt turning about 20-43000 rpms now is it? Those heater cores also have a decent sized fan pulling heat off of them, otherwise on a hot day, you'd be stuck on the road with steam pouring from underneath the hood. Its a given that a fan is needed to keep a consistant temperature. An R/C car doesnt go 60 mph while running about 2000 rpm on a freeway... do the math.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.