Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Stinger pipe without 360 degree header

Community
Search
Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Stinger pipe without 360 degree header

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 09:44 AM
avg_joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stinger pipe without 360 degree header

I was digging around in the spare parts drawer, and I found a stinger that I used to have on a traxxas nitro buggy that I had. So I put it on my RC10 GT.

My question is...
Since the stinger is supposed to have a 360 degree header on it, am I going to cause trouble by using it on an engine that doesn't have all that header length?
I have noticed that the engine seems to run hotter, and the low end was very rich. I am still getting it dialed in(reciever pack dead), but it feels like there is a little bit more low and mid range power. And it sounds really wicked!!! It really raps, and crackles off of the goo-guard I put on the chassis to keep the spray off of the front end.
I just had to do it.
Gimme some feedback, guys!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26574.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	339414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82644.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	339415  
Old 10-15-2005, 07:48 PM
dannthenitroman

Default RE: Stinger pipe without 360 degree header

yeh its just hot because the engine is running to a different tolerance once its dialled itll be sweet.

Dann
Old 10-17-2005, 06:56 AM
gerwen

You should measure the length of the nitro buggy's header and compare it to your rc10gt header. If they are pretty close in length, the pipe should work well. If they are quite different, (i'm not sure how much it takes, probably 1/2-3/4") Then the tuned pipe probably won't work very well.

These pipes are 'tuned' to have an exhaust pulse be reflected back into the engine in a certain time. The distance between the pipe and the exhaust port is critical to the timing of the pulse. If you change the distance too much, the exhaust pulse will miss its window and provide no help to the engine. It will be just like running a muffler. Tuned pipes add power to the engine, and if yours is missing its timing, then you are cheating yourself of the power a tuned pipe provides.

Last night i dreamt that i was having trouble installing a new tuned pipe on my Savage. This morning i woke up exhausted.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:06 AM
avg_joe

That was my concern...But the header that it came with has long since been destroyed, along with most of the buggy, so I have no way to compare. I have been thinking about switching back to the Dynamite RPM pipe to compare again. I have leaned out the LSN about 3/8 to 1/2 turn to make it run well. HSN wasn't too far off, within 'normal' tuning parameters for any given day. Run time seems comparable, maybe even a little bit longer with the stinger.(possibly due to the leaning of LSN)

Those pulses are a repeating pattern, right? So if I miss my 'window', I could catch the next pulse, right? Or does it have to be that specific pulse?
I have a working knowledge of sonic pulses and scavenging, but I only know enough to know that I don't know enough. Plus I don't keep any sort of log book, so my 'research' is not substantiated by any real documentation.(just what the voices in my head tell me)