Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

"newb" with a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 PM
MotorBreathLT1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "newb" with a question

Greetings, i havent been to RCU in a few years when i was selling my TMAXX and sfgp...i forget my name i had here before hense my new name. good to be back.

ok enough of that,

i looking to get back into nitro RC in the next month or two. my first impulse was another monster truck sinse im in a wooded area, and basicly the off roaders dream. but as i got to thinking i also have ALOT of open space in the woods and the field with loose dirt and short grass; perfect for a stadium truck. id like a 4wd stadium truck because every now and then i like a little climbing action.

first off my budget will be about 500 give or take, this includes cost of fuel, field equip. such as glow starter, batts, radio, ect

as of now im looking at the HPI MT2-18SS ( http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/kitMain.php?partNo=10441 )

i like this because first off, its 4wd (which is what id greatly prefer), im told its a very solid truck and can handle alot of abuse and jumping. also told it handles very nice and all the reviews ive seen are fair - very good. im not all that worried about having gobs of power out of the box sinse i port my own engines, so thats not an issue.

any other suggestions? ANY input is appreciated.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:28 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: "newb" with a question

Sounds like your the perfect canidate for a monster truck. MTs are also pretty capable on road...
Old 10-18-2005, 08:47 PM
MotorBreathLT1

ORIGINAL: IBrakeForNobody

Sounds like your the perfect canidate for a monster truck. MTs are also pretty capable on road...

another monster truck would be good, but most of my land is pretty flat and unobscured minus some trees so id like to take advantage of the open area. tho a monster truck isnt out of the question, ive got time to think about this

(btw, the monster truck i was considering was a savage)
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 AM
gerwen

For straight bashing, a MT is pretty much superior to any ST. The only advantage of a ST is price. You'll have much more choices of terrain to run on with a monster. Ground clearance and suspension travel is king.

Savage is a good choice. Tough as nails.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:10 PM
MotorBreathLT1

MT probably would be the best now that i think of it. ive been looking at the revo recently because they say the savage though tough as nails, handles like a pig. and from what im told the revo is better than the TMAXX in just about every way, and my 1st gen Tmaxx was awesome imo. but i wont go into details, check the MT thread for that kinda stuff

thanks guys
Old 10-20-2005, 01:03 PM
tizdaz

What about the Losi LST? imo the best truck there is atm, top quality radio gear & shocks that make t-maxx shocks & other 1/8 shocks look like tyco stock! :-)

you say you got 500 budget, LST is 600... but worth saving that little bit extra & you get the radio gear :-) ..its been given top reviews in all mags & online articles ive read... if i was to buy a new off road it would definately be the LST :-)

[link=http://www.teamlosi.com/kits/LST/index_main.htm]LST Pics[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=477]Review[/link]
[link=http://www.teamlosi.com/kits/pics/LST/shock_comparison.jpg]Shock comparison[/link]
Old 10-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

The LST is over rated get a MGT and watch your MGT will be running longer then a LST
Old 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM
5150_UK

Yep definitely. My friend has one and it's an awesome truck. Durable, fast and the radio gear is simply fantastic. Certainly give the LST a look.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:00 AM
gerwen

ORIGINAL: MotorBreathLT1
...because they say the savage though tough as nails, handles like a pig.
Folks that say the savage handles like a pig are overstating it.

A revo will outhandle a savage and post better lap times, but the savage can get around the track too. I was beating revos at my local track, so it's not like the savage is crippled. (I was also being beat by them)

On the track the revo is faster, plain and simple. But the margin isn't as great as a lot of folks would lead you to believe, particularly in local club racing where driver skill plays a more important role. There are also a lot of mods you can do to make the savage a better racer.

While bashing however, the handling difference is moot. They both get around the yard/gravel pit/construction site with equal ease.