Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

scratch building shock towers

Old 01-19-2006, 06:46 PM
zackesch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratch building shock towers

i previsouly had the forum of bullet proofing a rusty, and i desided to go with alunimum shock towers. the 25 dollars per tower is still a bit pricey, so i decided to scratch build them. it is the same size alunimum 1/8 inch. it is much cheeper to make them yourself. for a sheet of the alunimum is 12"x6"x1/8" is only $12.00. i will be able to fit both the front and rear shock tower and then some on one sheet. so i am going to scratch build them. btw, it is t6 alunimum and its made by K&S. i am going to get my metal from www.happyhobby.com. i do work for them so i know what all goes on. if we dont have what your looking for in stock, we can get what you are looking for in about a week. if you would like to know the number, it is (414)461-6013. the owners name is laurie

does anybody have any expierence with working with alunimum? or scrach building some parts?

any help will be greatly apprieciated
Old 01-19-2006, 07:22 PM
David D

Default RE: scratch building shock towers

A saw for the rough outline will do good, and a dremel should do the rest. Just remember measure twice cut once.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:33 PM
dannthenitroman

currently designing nitro rusty shocktowers now, for racing ( ie half decent suspension geometry ) u will nee the rear shocktower to be 10mm wider per side and the whole thing 10mm taller, and the front needs to be just stock height but move the shocks in to about 40 mm apart.this lowers the chassis and lowers downtravel a large amaount, making the truck more similar to a losi or a GT and stopping it spinning out mid corner.

Dann
Old 01-19-2006, 07:44 PM
zackesch

how would i go about doing that because i was going to make a template from the stock parts. also i am not looking for a lower cg or raceing geomotry because there are realy no tracks around here for nitro, the only close place is for indoor electrics. other wise nitro parks are about an hour away.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:37 PM
dannthenitroman

yeh ok ur choice ( LOSS ) but yeh just use stock as a template and modify shape as u go.

Dann
Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 PM
zackesch

it is a good idea, but i wouldnt know how to strech it out