Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

shims in engine

if i do remove one of the shims in my engine, i know it will increse my power but will it do any dammage?
    Im Himmel gibts kein Bier, darum trinken wir es hier.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: shims in engine

ORIGINAL: zackesch

if i do remove one of the shims in my engine, i know it will increse my power but will it do any dammage?
    no it may not increase power and yes it may do damage. shims control timing. remove them and you advance the timing which could give a little more power if you have room to spare, otherwise you will loose power and cause the fuel to ignite before TDC, which can damage the engine.

if you do remove a shim drop your nitro percent also, less chance of detonation with lower nitro content.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

head shims have nothing to do with timing...timing is all in the crank
    yes it would increase compression but if there is not enough clearance it will be a fatal move
    Back before RC motors had all the exotic porting, turn the high rpms like they do now racers use to drop the head as low as they could.

RC Pro Series Northeast 94m
    Sponsors: Eclipse RC, Glenwood RC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i would leave it on than when your engine starts to lose comprestion you can take it out and get a little more life
    and power out of it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

head shims have nothing to do with timing...timing is all in the crank
    yes it would increase compression but if there is not enough clearance it will be a fatal move

umm, NOOOOO!

lots of things regulate timing. think of it this way, your crank sets the timing, while plug temp and shims adjust the timing.

you contradicted yourself there also, if you increase compression you also effectively increase timing, no way around that fact, it is a law of physics. Fuel that is compressed more ignites easier, and sooner. or in the case of a true diesel compression itself is what ignites the fuel.

also, i seriously doubt there is any engine on the market that could be damaged due to lack of clearance from removing a shim. if tolerances are that tight already you have other issues to deal with. every engine i own will spin over fine with no shims in, although they may not actually run that way.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: smokingcrater

umm, NOOOOO!

lots of things regulate timing. think of it this way, your crank sets the timing, while plug temp and shims adjust the timing.

you contradicted yourself there also, if you increase compression you also effectively increase timing, no way around that fact, it is a law of physics. Fuel that is compressed more ignites easier, and sooner. or in the case of a true diesel compression itself is what ignites the fuel.
    Increasing compression by removing head shims will not increase the timing...machining .03 or .05 off the head then it could
    the only way to effectively change timing would be to mill the piston down retarding timing or milling the intake port on the crank
    RC Pro Series Northeast 94m
    Sponsors: Eclipse RC, Glenwood RC