zackesch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default shims in engine

if i do remove one of the shims in my engine, i know it will increse my power but will it do any dammage?
Old 02-13-2006, 12:40 AM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: shims in engine

Quote:
ORIGINAL: zackesch

if i do remove one of the shims in my engine, i know it will increse my power but will it do any dammage?
no it may not increase power and yes it may do damage. shims control timing. remove them and you advance the timing which could give a little more power if you have room to spare, otherwise you will loose power and cause the fuel to ignite before TDC, which can damage the engine.

if you do remove a shim drop your nitro percent also, less chance of detonation with lower nitro content.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 AM
All The Way

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

head shims have nothing to do with timing...timing is all in the crank
yes it would increase compression but if there is not enough clearance it will be a fatal move
Back before RC motors had all the exotic porting, turn the high rpms like they do now racers use to drop the head as low as they could.

Old 02-13-2006, 04:30 AM
Midget

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i would leave it on than when your engine starts to lose comprestion you can take it out and get a little more life
and power out of it
Old 02-14-2006, 06:35 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
head shims have nothing to do with timing...timing is all in the crank
yes it would increase compression but if there is not enough clearance it will be a fatal move

umm, NOOOOO!

lots of things regulate timing. think of it this way, your crank sets the timing, while plug temp and shims adjust the timing.

you contradicted yourself there also, if you increase compression you also effectively increase timing, no way around that fact, it is a law of physics. Fuel that is compressed more ignites easier, and sooner. or in the case of a true diesel compression itself is what ignites the fuel.

also, i seriously doubt there is any engine on the market that could be damaged due to lack of clearance from removing a shim. if tolerances are that tight already you have other issues to deal with. every engine i own will spin over fine with no shims in, although they may not actually run that way.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:57 AM
All The Way

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: smokingcrater

umm, NOOOOO!

lots of things regulate timing. think of it this way, your crank sets the timing, while plug temp and shims adjust the timing.

you contradicted yourself there also, if you increase compression you also effectively increase timing, no way around that fact, it is a law of physics. Fuel that is compressed more ignites easier, and sooner. or in the case of a true diesel compression itself is what ignites the fuel.
Increasing compression by removing head shims will not increase the timing...machining .03 or .05 off the head then it could
the only way to effectively change timing would be to mill the piston down retarding timing or milling the intake port on the crank

Search this Thread