Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

carbon fiber chassis

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:25 PM
ScRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon fiber chassis

does any one make a carbonfiber mt2 chassis ? and any othercarbonfiber parts that you know of would be great ! and has anyone ver put a sirio 23 in one ?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:36 PM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: carbon fiber chassis

A carbonFiber chassis on a nitro would serve no purpose unless you never drove it. The heat and stress of a nitro engine you melt, crack, and completely destroy it.
There is no need for a .23 either, a nice OS 18 Cv-R is all it needs.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:59 PM
-Inverted-

and any othercarbonfiber parts that you know of would be great
HPI makes a carbon fiber front shock tower. I have seen a carbon fiber brake pad as well.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Evader ---> MGT

http://www.vantageracing.com/site/
They make a lot of carbon fiber parts, but not a chassis for the mt2. Sorry
Old 06-22-2006, 06:20 PM
ScRacing

yeah i founda titanium one but i might just get that one but it is 3.5mm thick so i might get that and micheen it down to 2mm. and i have bought a few vantage parts befor , i eaven tested out they'er carbon fiber reov chassis, wihc if the make a 3.3 version i wil buy it. but it apears no one will make any for it. and mine is just a mt1, that i bought off e-bay uner the understandemnt that it was a hpi 18 ss with out hte engin... it was a bit different that. and i have never realy ben a fan of hpi so i realy don't know much about they-er products, exept for hte savage , so is there anything i eed to do to transform it into a mt 2 ? i beleave just hte slipper clutch corect ?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 PM
annie_himself

You can't machine a 3.5mm chassis to 2mm. you'd have to cut it perfectly or gring it for hours. Its stupid anyway. A 3.5mm Ti chassis is the shiz-nit why do you want to make it more weak? You won't save any substantial weight.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I am glade someone can read his post!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:54 PM
3evoman

and i wonder y vantage.com has a cf revo chassis?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] and not for mt2?

scracing, u tested it, is it light and strong and can it stand the heat and stress?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 PM
ScRacing

we put it on a stock revo that i bought with the chassi on and then sold it on e-bay, it looks awsome and it is a little less the half the weight of the standard chassis, althoe there are a fwe holes that were just a little bit off, and it is suposed to be stiffer than the stock chassis as well wich it seemed to be pleanty strong. at a race i have seen one guy brake his chassis by running into a car tire, but he was going probubly atleast 25 and the bounce just put a coupl little cracks all over the place. but if you looked athis chassis there were no visible cracks but hte second he hit the throttl hte chassis would bend up in the center and after about the 3rd time it just broke wright behind the engin ware the chassi straitens out. and sorrie about my messe up typeing, my keyoard is low on battarie
Old 06-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Mirdain

Carbon chassis are not the best thing for nitro car. Take a look at the top 1/8th on road cars.... they all have titanium chassis...
The reasons are : 1) carbon does not dissipate heat, therefore the engine will run hotter, 2) carbon has less flex than steel or titantium so all the vibrations are transimitted thru the chassis 3) carbon has no give. If you hit to hard, it will break, where alumimun, steel or titanium will twist or bend but rarely break...
Carbon chassis are only recommended on on road electric...
But there a whole bunch of carbon parts u could put on tho : shock towers, radio plate, wing mount, exhaust pipe, steering etc...
Hope it help you invest ur money wisely
Old 06-23-2006, 05:24 PM
annie_himself

ORIGINAL: 3evoman

and i wonder y vantage.com has a cf revo chassis?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] and not for mt2?

scracing, u tested it, is it light and strong and can it stand the heat and stress?
God, it takes for ever to read that.
You should keep your stock chassis because you sound completely lost and mixed up. A "milled" Ti chassis makes no sence neither does the CF one.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 AM
bonusboy

Man.........Your right about a few things...carbon fiber doesn't bend very well at least not pure carbon fiber. However most composite carbon fiber part are also make with fiberglass to give it some flex. Yes on impact you will get a shattering effect much like you would if it where made out of particle board. However to say that carbon doesn't dissipate heat is obsurd. If carbon didn't dissipate heat formula one cars won't use it in their brake pads!

BoNUSboy
Old 01-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Vigilante212

ORIGINAL: annie_himself

You can't machine a 3.5mm chassis to 2mm. you'd have to cut it perfectly or gring it for hours. Its stupid anyway. A 3.5mm Ti chassis is the shiz-nit why do you want to make it more weak? You won't save any substantial weight.

I would like to beg to differ. Im a machinist by trade and you can machine anything down to anything if you wanted to . It just takes time patience and skill. Would I do it to a titanium chasiss that was most likly laser cut and already at that thickness to begin with. NO
Old 01-14-2007, 12:10 PM
annie_himself

I've realized that. This thread is VERY old.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
ScRacing

Yeah i sold my mt and every thing with it for $50.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Kemo

wow, what have you been up to? haven't seen you post around this area much.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:29 PM
ScRacing

Well i was planning on biulding a mt with a sirio 23 i had sitting around but i just lost interest. I am looking for a jato but iv mostly kept my self biusey wiht my revo. I just got new bearings for my sirio 23 in my revo and i am going to drive it for the first time in like 2 months today or tomarrow.