Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Nitro Stadium Trucks
Reload this Page >

Given these choices, which would you pick?

Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Given these choices, which would you pick?

Old 08-06-2006, 01:04 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Given these choices, which would you pick?

Please read EVERYTHING before posting. I won't bother reading any replies that start with "do a search" or "these posts are useless". Those sort of opinions add no value to the fora.

With that out of the way, I have a question to pose to the ST crowd. I was recently given $150 in the form of Am. Ex. gift checks for my birthday, and I'm sick and tired of spending money on tools, house upgrading, etc. I considered putting it toward a new heli, a new plane, a nicer radio, a 1/8 scale buggy, and then I thought of a new stadium truck. I had an RC10GT before--I sold it for peanuts during a bout of temporary insanity induced by the convergence of my then-impending wedding and recent home purchase. At the time, liquidating anything to get more cash seemed like a good idea[:@]. Anyway......I want another ST, and I'm pretty sure I want a nitro one, although I may consider an electric, if necessary. I'm looking for an RTR.

I would rather purchase locally, and the two LHS here have the following options: Nitro--Rush Evo, Nitro Sport SE, XXXNT-II, Nitro Evader ST,(and if I ask nicely, the LHS owner will order an RC10GT Plus, like I used to have) and Electric: XXX-T RTR brushless, Evader ST, Rustler, RC10T4.

I'd just like to know which you'd pick, and why? No flame wars about what is the absolute best, etc. needed. Just honest opinions. FWIW, Traxxas, AE, and Duratrax parts are widely available here, both LHS are Losi dealers, so parts are available, but neither store keeps them in stock.

So, if you've had experience with any of these trucks, let me know, good or bad, which one you'd pick. I'm just looking for a basher, primarily--racing is a possibility(so is a snow squall in HELL). If you haven't owned or driven any of these trucks, please don't waste bandwidth quoting the latest RCCA article just to increase your post count. I can read on my own[sm=wink.gif] Otherwise, fire away.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Evolution02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Given these choices, which would you pick?

one word Rc10GT -most reliable truck ever built
Old 08-06-2006, 05:56 AM
scottywilkes

i have a nitro evader and i have had great luck with it. I have only broken 2 things in 7 months because of not having the shell on while jumping. The engine is an ok engine but is it in no way the best like most RTRs. Out of them though i would say the GT would be the best. Have you thought of waiting a little while until the associated RC10GT2 comes out. It is supposed to be far superior to the first one and looks killer. Also it would make a very good racer if u were to get into that. Any ways thats my 2 cents
Old 08-06-2006, 07:24 AM
mkincy

I cant comment on any of the RTR choices you have listed. IMO, RTR is a cuss word, for the obvious reason that they are inferior in everyway to a good kit. i just purchased 2 of [link=http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=18_35&products_id=3957]these[/link] it seems to be the best deal going. good luck.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Snipin_Willy

I bought a nitro evader st as a roller off of ebay and built it to my liking and I've had success with it in racing events. But it has lots of little things that tend to go wrong at the wrong time. It's durable stock, but like every truck it can be made near bullet proof if you know what parts to get (not talking about aluminum). I don't know, but it sounds like your married and if you are, women can put a real hold on any hobby and how much you spend. Bashing is ALOT cheaper than racing. Had that being said, get what you want. I can tell you right now that the LHS will recomend the RC10GT or the Losi XXX-NT II.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 AM
q8murder

ORIGINAL: mkincy

I cant comment on any of the RTR choices you have listed. IMO, RTR is a cuss word, for the obvious reason that they are inferior in everyway to a good kit. i just purchased 2 of [link=http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com/2.2/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=18_35&products_id=3957]these[/link] it seems to be the best deal going. good luck.

mkincy i was thinking of ordering one but i thought there must be something wrong with the price so when you recieve it can you please share with uss what it comes with? i know it is a kit but will you need to buy a body? tire? wheel?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:25 AM
off road mania

rcgt10
and if you can get an hpi mt2

Old 08-06-2006, 09:40 AM
Redrkt

ORIGINAL: mkincy

How do you figure that an RTR is inferior to a kit? they are built with the same parts!!! other than the fact that a kit does not come with a radio or electronics, and they put a bigger engine in them "Sometimes".

unless someone has been doing nitro rc for a while or has good mechanical skills I would not recommend getting a kit to start off with while getting back into the game.

and as far as what is better, that is all personal preference and how deep your pockets are.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:53 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the opinions guys, pretty much what I was thinking, but it's nice to hear other people's ideas.
It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be an RTR, but if I buy a kit or ARR, I'll need to buy the engine and radio since I don't have spares at the moment, and kits are pretty scarce around here(if you can find one, it's usually hiding behind a Revo or Rustler box all the way on the back of the shelf[]).

I'd like to keep the total under $350 to start with to keep the wife happy(yes, I'm married, and no, no kids to use as an excuse--"but I can teach junior how to...").

Again, I'm pretty much just looking for a basher. There is a track about 1/2 hour away that runs ST off-road and dirt oval, but I've never actually been there.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:04 PM
mkincy

ORIGINAL: q8murder

mkincy i was thinking of ordering one but i thought there must be something wrong with the price so when you recieve it can you please share with uss what it comes with? i know it is a kit but will you need to buy a body? tire? wheel?
this is the description of the truck from carolinas rc:

Get into competitive 1/10 Stadium Truck racing with the Mugen MST-1 kit! This kit is updated to include 2 degree aluminum uprights and updated steel axles.

The MST-1 has best-in-class suspension, using oversized 1/8-size buggy shocks. Includes an adjustable slipper clutch and ball diff to drive the power to the wheels. Also includes a Proline Crowd Pleazer truck body, front and rear yellow wheels, and Proline tires (Bowties in the rear, Edge in the front).

This complete kit includes everything you'll need to have a competitive truck, and requires a radio and .12 size engine.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:19 PM
mkincy

ORIGINAL: Redrkt

How do you figure that an RTR is inferior to a kit? they are built with the same parts!!! other than the fact that a kit does not come with a radio or electronics, and they put a bigger engine in them "Sometimes".

unless someone has been doing nitro rc for a while or has good mechanical skills I would not recommend getting a kit to start off with while getting back into the game.

Kits and RTR's are not created equal. kits have alot of upgraded parts that have been changed for reduced weight, strength, or both.

i would recomend a kit to anyone, new or not. building the kit gives you a better knowledge of the car/truck. you will be better prepared to replace the parts you break, maintain it, and tune it for performance.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:35 PM
125cchyperman

When it comes down to what you should by it's all about personal prefference. Yes of course everyone is going to try and say there's is the best and to them it might be. But everyone has a different applications for there's. I can say that the xxx-nt is a great truck weather you want to race or just bash. I use to race and the truck did very well. But now since I no longer race I just bash and the truck takes the beating pretty well. Abou the only problem I have is with the diff every once in a while but thats only because I have a .18cvr in it which has insane torque and power. But I would suggest either the xxx-nt or the rc10gt. The evader doesnt look to bad But I have never personally driven.

mkincy You are right RTR'S and Kits are not created equal. But you can easily change those parts out and get it to kit form. And while the guy who bought the RTR that already has the engine and radio equipment to go out and start driving with while the person who got the kit is still deciding what steering servo he/she should go with.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:36 PM
shawnyd

i have an evader that i only use for bashing cuz parts are cheap where i am. all i can say is good stuff about this truck. it has its one weakness, almost every truck has atleast one. to me, i would upgrade the engine if it breaks on you. i got a whole 1 and half gallons out of my first engine. and i broke it in the same way ive done with other engines, but it didnt work well. i couldnt get the thing to wheelie or anything. and if your bashing, you want to wheelie around. so i got sick of the .18 and threw in a picco .15. i love this thing now. it doesnt have the best handling if you ask me but its great to bash around with. as long as its above 60 degrees out, i dont break anything unless i crash at full speed.

i also have had a xxx-nt RTR. i have nothing bad to say about this truck, except is costs a lot more than my evader does and parts cost a lot more(different lhs). i got 4 gallons out of the engine that came with it, thats awesome for a RTR engine, idc what anyone says. but after seeing what the picco did for the evader, i threw another picco .15 speed in my xxx-nt and upgrade just about every part to atleast adam drake edition or better. this thing doesnt break. but i have well over 650 bucks in this beast and probly 5 gallons so far. its a great racer, best handling st i have ever driven.

but i only use my evader for bashing, so go with the evader. if the engine lets you down, get another for free if you keep ur reciept. i got sick of it after 4 engines and gave up with that engine.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:32 PM
bladeCX1464

no no no get a mugen mst-1 its not as popular as gt but is better than it....its sorda like a xxx-nt handling and a gt durability....its great