Notices
RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

Engines for the GT2

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 AM
baker0408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines for the GT2

I am looking a good engine (cheap too) to drop into the Factory Team GT2. I am not real sure what will fit too. Will a Traxxas 2.5R fit? (I found one new real cheap) But it calls for a rotary carb and the 2.5R has a slide. It also calls for an SG shaft. So what do I do?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:40 AM
avg_joe

Default RE: Engines for the GT2

I think the rotary/slide issue could be worked out with some linkage, but the traxxas engines have their own shaft length, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:02 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I recommend the OS 18 CV-R or CV-RX. You can buy them for around $110 VERY user friendly.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:16 PM
baker0408

Are those engines ROAR Legal? I have not raced yet, but I would really like to get into it, so I would like to get an engine that I could use.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:29 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Baker, go to www.topspeedtoys.com and check out the ST12R. I'm running one in my XXXNT AD2, and it's easily the meanest engine I've ever run in a stadium truck...and it's dirt cheap too. it's a pain in the butt during breakin, but once you're past that, it's a nice solid reliable mill.

what track are you gonna be racing at? the one in Jackson?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:49 PM
46u

If you are going to race sanction racing do as TBJ said and get the STS and a starter box. No if I am not mistaken you cannot run anything over a .12 in Roar. You can go to there web site and check the rules out.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM
Valve

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
t's a pain in the butt during breakin, but once you're past that, it's a nice solid reliable mill.
That's how all STS engines are, but after a couple gallons of fuel they REALLY wake up. Some of the best engines for the price in my opinion. Nova Rossis, Collaris, OS', Piccos... they are are great engines but their prices can be insane.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:13 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Valve

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
t's a pain in the butt during breakin, but once you're past that, it's a nice solid reliable mill.
That's how all STS engines are, but after a couple gallons of fuel they REALLY wake up. Some of the best engines for the price in my opinion. Nova Rossis, Collaris, OS', Piccos... they are are great engines but their prices can be insane.
I agree as that is how my STS D21B was in my buggy. Yes I think they are very good engines for the money!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 PM
baker0408

Thanks for the STS tip. I had never heard of those, but I really like the price! That looks like what I'll go with.

Thunder, as far as a track, I am not sure...there was a track on Hwy 70 in Memphis, but it ran into zoning issues. Supposedly another track is being built in Memphis. I also know a guy that has a real nice dirt oval.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 PM
baker0408

I was reading about the GT2 and the STS ST12R. From what I have found, the GT2 requires a rotary carb and the ST12R has a slide carb. Does STS offer a rotary card for the ST12R or can another carb fit? According to the review in the Dec issue of XRCC, the GT2 has a kinda specific carb need.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:19 AM
scdrj

I have a STS with a slide carb in a GT2. It is just a matter of linkage.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:05 AM
RcRacer37E

From slide to rotary car is a matter of turning the servo 180 degrees. The traxxas rustler runs both types of carbs. I used the linkage kit from the rustler to mount a slide carb into my rush evo. I would think the same deal could be done for the sts in a rc10gt2.
The sts I had wasnt worth the packing it was shipped in, mine was a .28 for my truggy. Might look into a RB v12 or the OS .12tz engines. I own one of each and the perform very well every weekend.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Ca$hmoney

From what ive seen and been told.The stock manifold is for rear exaust engines.Also rotary is what you want to go on off-road.Im pretty sure the stock setup is with SG shaft??
Old 12-04-2006, 05:58 AM
RcRacer37E

The rotary carb is what most trucks run, I like the slide carb myself in the trucks, better throttle response with the slide.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: baker0408

Thanks for the STS tip. I had never heard of those, but I really like the price! That looks like what I'll go with.

Thunder, as far as a track, I am not sure...there was a track on Hwy 70 in Memphis, but it ran into zoning issues. Supposedly another track is being built in Memphis. I also know a guy that has a real nice dirt oval.
that stinks, they had zoning problems with the first track, too (it was a bit south of 64, I forget what road it was on....it was right next door to a train shop)

Sorry I didn't get on here to answer your question for ya, but there are no rotary carb STS motors, but if you snag a Losi linkage kit that'll keep your headaches down. My XXXNT AD2's linkages had the option of slide or rotary carb out of the box, but since I don't have a GT2 I can't speak for GT2 owners (although within the next year, I'm planning on adding one to my stable)

also, ca$h, IIRC the GT2 is compatible with SG, standard or a cut crank. I know the old RC10GT could run an SG OR a cut crank, but the standard crank makes me assume they went to a Losi-style clutch nut, since if you run a GT style clutch setup on the XXXNT you can run a cut crank.

I would like to have a rotary carb, personally, but I've only run slide in my AD2 and it's perfectly fine...a bit snappy for a 2wd off road truck, but you get used to it and you can also tone it down with transmitter adjustments.