RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Old 07-20-2008, 09:33 PM
tomcatguy74
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

ORIGINAL: windowlicker

the nut thing might be the only thing you have to do then, because the G3.0 is a rotary carb, you have to set it up so there is maximum horizontal travel as it rotates. You might find that it is moving diagonally or vertically instead of horizontally. If I'm confusing you, you will understand when you loosen that nut and move the carb around
Hey Windowlicker,

If this is the nut(pic below) then it did not work. I might just have to do that mod you told me about. I ran the truck today for the first time and it's surprisingly quiet compared to my Revo 3.3 with it's Resonator pipe on it. I will tell you that its a rocket off the line. Temps on the engine reached about 250* and I tried to richen it up. I bought an A5 cold plug and I might throw that in and see what happens. Temps here in FL are about 100* where I am. It was about 90 when I ran the truck. I do have a problem though and it might just be that I am not used to the dynamics of a stadium truck but when I turn in an acceleration the leading front wheel comes off the ground and the truck turns on 3 wheels and I lose ALOT of steering control. I did notice that the truck's front end it a little higher than whats pictured on the box. I am going to look at the front end tomorrow after work.

I am open to any help you have.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83481.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	994413  
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tomcatguy74

ORIGINAL: windowlicker

the nut thing might be the only thing you have to do then, because the G3.0 is a rotary carb, you have to set it up so there is maximum horizontal travel as it rotates. You might find that it is moving diagonally or vertically instead of horizontally. If I'm confusing you, you will understand when you loosen that nut and move the carb around
Hey Windowlicker,

If this is the nut(pic below) then it did not work. I might just have to do that mod you told me about. I ran the truck today for the first time and it's surprisingly quiet compared to my Revo 3.3 with it's Resonator pipe on it. I will tell you that its a rocket off the line. Temps on the engine reached about 250* and I tried to richen it up. I bought an A5 cold plug and I might throw that in and see what happens. Temps here in FL are about 100* where I am. It was about 90 when I ran the truck. I do have a problem though and it might just be that I am not used to the dynamics of a stadium truck but when I turn in an acceleration the leading front wheel comes off the ground and the truck turns on 3 wheels and I lose ALOT of steering control. I did notice that the truck's front end it a little higher than whats pictured on the box. I am going to look at the front end tomorrow after work.

I am open to any help you have.

Rob
With as much torque as the engine has it will raise the front wheels a bit. just try to add a bit of weight to the front end. try something like a D cell battery attatched to the front shock tower with rubber bands. and see how it affects your handleing. it should help your front wheel to get more traction.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 AM
windowlicker

I'm sure HPI put the receiver pack right at the back to deliberately unbalance the car and make it wheelie. I bet most customers of the Firestorm want to be able to wheelie. But for serious drivers and racers, putting the receiver pack at the front, adding ballast, or playing with the suspension will give a more balanced drive. I'm just not sure if it will then be un balanced in the air, because it currently flys really well.

Also, 250 is ok for engine temps, if there is a good smoke trail you will be ok. HPI are very conservative with their guidelines. Most racers and big blocks have a top limit of about 260-270. I'd recommend that you richen up the high speed needle if you like doing alot of flat out runs though. Don't tune by temperature too much, do it more by smoke trail and response. The temperature should be checked just as a reference.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:21 AM
garzzar

i am deff gettin one, this will be my first nitro and not at a bad price for the quality that ive heard, sure there are a few problems here and there, but that usually comes with any thing stock plus the break-in proccess for hpi is so simple you'ed have to be somewhat dim not to be able to follow a 3 tanks of fuel break-in correctly.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
nitro-rob

I looked at it further and decided to just drill the engine mount bolts out and if needed purchase a new front engine mount. It seems like the easiest thing to do.
Rob
Old 07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
tomcatguy74

Hey Windowlicker, I figured out the the problem with the throttle linkage with the help of you and HPI. I had to move the arm on the carb with the throttle at idle and close the extra gap manually. I tried to match the pics in the manual and viola it worked!! Thanks for that help!!
However, now I am scared that I toasted my engine. Today after I fixed the throttle issue I ran it around the yard and street and it had great smoke coming out and sounded healthy. I checked the temp and I got a reading of 259* so I richened the HSN some to help cool it off. I ran it around some more and checked the temps again and this time I got 329*!!!![X(][X(] OMG!! I decided to try see what kind of plug the guy had in the truck and I found it to be an A3 which as you know is a hot plug. I figured dang it's like 98* out here and I am running a hot plug, no wonder the engine is spiking temps!! I decided to put a new O.S. A5 Cold plug in the truck and now I cannot keep the truck running.
Am I doing something wrong or did I fry my engine?

Rob
Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM
tomcatguy74

Can anyone spare a front tire for the Firestorm? I tore one of mine trying to boil and remove the tire to reglue it properly.

Rob
Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM
cgad18

does anyone know of anything i could use for an exhaust coupler?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:05 AM
windowlicker

are your settings now too rich from your earlier adjustments? by not running do you mean it wont start or wont keep running?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 AM
tomcatguy74

Well, its kinda hard to start, and once started does not like to stay running.[:@] I got it to take off once but it stalled as soon as I let up on the throttle. Do you think I might have damaged it with a spike in temp that high? I was thinking of putting the old plug back in and seeing if it will stay running again. I figured if it does then I need to seriously retune for a colder plug or maybe go to a medium plug. What do you think?

Also, the post I made above with the tire thing, I tore a front tire about 1/4" to less than 1/2" from the bead. It's a pretty clean tear and not too bad so I decided to use some medium CA glue to fix the tear. Doy you think it will work and hold up to some bashing untill I get to the hobby shop for a new set of tires?

What kind of front tires can I get for it? What size and type? No one carries Firestorm parts anywhere near me so another brand will have to do.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:45 AM
windowlicker

have you burnt the new plug out? Check to see if it glows up properly and the end is not black. Are you sure your temp gun is accurate, does it need new batteries? 329 sounds very high esp if there is good smoke. You weren't thrashing it at WOT were you?!

All I can think of is maybe the high temperatures caused a seal or gasket to blow. Check there is no oil being squirted out of the exhaust gasket, the carb, or the front seal. Check the engine head it tightly screwed down with loctite. You may have to get some silicon sealant (high temperature car stuff) and seal your engine if it is an air leak.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 AM
NitroNate

Hows the engine compression after the heat spike???Can you lift the truck with the pullstart handle without having the engine turning over???
Old 07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
tomcatguy74

Hey the engine I believe is fine. Remember when I took out the hot A3 plug after the heat spike and put in a cold A5 and the engine would not stay running? Well, I reinstalled the A3 hot plug and the truck ran fine as if no damage occured thank God. I ran it around and tried and tried to get the engine temps to stay around 250* I had good smoke and it sounded nice and throaty. I could not keep the temps down below 260* so I reset the needles to factory and installed the A5 cold plug again and could not get the engine to stay running. I had to rerig the throttle linkage because I think the set screw(which is stripped in the hex) moved on the holdback piece. I eventually got the engine to stay running and took it out and drove it around. It sounded terrible at max throttle would not accelerate good at all and was very boggy. I figured it was very rich now because of the cold plug and started leaning it out and eventually got it to run better. I think I have some more tinkering and tuning to do but I definiatly want that cold plug in there. It is too hot and humid here in FL to be screwing around with hot engine temps.
There was no evidence of a seal leaking or bearings leaking anywhere, it was dry as a bone around the engine.

I do have one question though. Why is the tubing for pressurizing the fuel tank longer than the fuel line to the engine from the tank? On my Revo 3.3 it is the other way around. Doesn't all nitro engines and fuel systems run in the same principal?
Old 07-22-2008, 06:17 PM
NitroNate

Place the hot plug and the cold plug side-by-side.Which one is longer,or are they both the same length??If I remember correctly,a long reach plug offers more performance.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
tomcatguy74

Both plugs are exactly the same size. However the cold plug has a bigger coil inside.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:15 PM
windowlicker

I agree that the cold plugs are more attractive. But if you read my thread in the Truggy section where I'm breaking in my new engine, I too had problems with running a cold plug. Its the first time, but I ended up going with an O.S. #8 plug as anything colder would just make the engine stall. As soon as I can, I will get a Mccoy MC9 or HPI R4/5 plug in it!

I'm not sure about the pressure lines, but I heard in the 1/8th scale buggy section that a shorter pressure line runs the engine leaner, don't quote me on that though! Personally, I think the longer the lines, the better. The only problems will arise from running a very short line, on either the fuel or pressure line. I keep mine nice and long, with a filter on both.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 PM
tomcatguy74

So should I lengthen the "tank to carb" line then? I mean right now its a short straight line from the tank to the carb with no bends or loops.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
NitroNate

Yes.It will give you longer run time when the truck is upside-down.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
nitro rc

i have questions about durability about the firestorm. First, remember a few pages back when i had to send in the truck to HPI for repair. Well they are just sending it back today. They idled 3 tanks so far which is good so we don't have to spend forever trying to do the first start. So we will have it by mid week next week. Anyways, my bro will mostly be racing the storm against my tmaxx on our backyard track. It is a decent track, you can see a pic in my gallery in my profile. For example, if i take my tmaxx off our track jumps, which are about 5 feet from lip to landing, 2 in a row of those, it launches bad sometimes and will land on one wheel and be fine. If the firestorm does this, will it break an A-arm becuase the front end doesn't seem very strong. Or my tmaxx will land on its two front wheels or back two wheels. i feel lik if the firestorm does this it will break the battery box. I just recently cracked an A-arm on my tmaxx, the first part breakage after 2.5 gallons, very happy. I would like to hear how hard you bash or race your storms and also what you have replaced so far. Also, what are your experiences on a track with the firestorm.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:26 PM
mercerbeef

the only track experiance i got was at a motox track lol, i used about a gallon of fuel before i busted the front lower plate the skid plate mounts to, but i also was low on shock oil so that added to the bad landings. the jumps we launched offa were about 10ft high and 25-30ft long with an approach off a banked hairpin into wideopen throttle if you could get traction, lol i'm trying to get the video off my friend
Old 07-24-2008, 08:11 AM
garzzar

ordered my hpi firestorm today plus i got all the fixins at my lhs as soon as it gets here ill be RTR lol
Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
nitro rc

so does anyone else have experiences with firestorm durability. what has broken before It looks like the front end will break from any bad landings.
P.S. i want to know about stock durability only.

thanks

*EDIT*- first post on 100th page. LOL
Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
scobeh

wow didi have abad one today throtle stuck wide opened and hit brick building looked very bad but it is only going to cost 17.00 to fix this is one strong truck
Old 07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
racerx582000

hello i have a storm and i tell you what is a great truck i havent broken nothing other then a few exhaust gaskets . it jumps and lands great never had a problem yet. wish they had more hop ups for it though
Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Pauole

I know Firestorms come with relatively weak servos, I have been running it with two AA batteries, do you think that a 6V hump pack will improve the steering enough or should I upgrade to a whole new servo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.