-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
241 racing
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

LOL!If the Firestorm had smashed the flower bed up,and your wife would see the damage later on,and asked you what caused the damage,you could have said,"A storm hit it."LOL
LMAO I wished I would of thought about that this morning.I tried to fluff the flowers back up but she did notice that they were mashed this morning.I got lucky though cause she seen a squirel hiding walnuts in the flower bed so she thinks the squirel did it of course I played along and told her if I see it in there again I would chase it off
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 PM
241 racing

I never got the chance to try them out yet,she had me doing yard work.I'm going to try them today if I get the chance to hit the dungion before work.Our ramp is 6 foot wide and about five foot tall,I mounted wheels on it so it can be moved easily.I will post some pics of it when I get the camera back from my sister inlaw.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
bigggalll

Hi all,

I got a brand new Firestorm last week. My son and I had a lot fun with it this weekend. The break in went well. Tuning the engine was not so obvious for me. I don't have a lot how engine knowledge... But after a while the engine seems to run well.

The only problem we've got, it is difficult to start the engine when the engine is hot. I couldn't tell you what is the exact temperature (when I touch it, it is hot but not to much...) We have to let the engine cooling down and then we could restart it.

Do you have any idea what it could be? Do you think it is related to tuning (carb tuning).

Thanks ...
Old 09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
NitroNate

Usually I let it cool down before restarting anyways.Its better for the engine's compression.

Are you saying it ran out of gas and you refilled it and tried to restart it when it was still hot,or did you shut it off with fuel in it and restart it almost right away?Prime it with about 5 pulls and then try starting it.
If the engine is dry and you just filled the tank,prime it with 2 pulls for every inch of fuel line from the tank to the carb.Or,watch the fuel shooting through the line and into the carb.When you see the last big bubble enter the carb,then is when you want to start it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM
241 racing

Do what Nate said and remember your engine will only get better the better it get's broke in.Mine really came alive at the one gallon mark so the more you run it the better the performance will get.I hated this truck when I first got it but since I got the new A arms I love the thing.Glad you and your son are having fun cause that's what this hobby is all about,welcome to the forum.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 PM
nitro-rob

ORIGINAL: 241 racing

ORIGINAL: NitroNate

LOL!If the Firestorm had smashed the flower bed up,and your wife would see the damage later on,and asked you what caused the damage,you could have said,"A storm hit it."LOL
LMAO I wished I would of thought about that this morning.I tried to fluff the flowers back up but she did notice that they were mashed this morning.I got lucky though cause she seen a squirel hiding walnuts in the flower bed so she thinks the squirel did it of course I played along and told her if I see it in there again I would chase it off
Maybe a new name for a stadium truck should be 'squirrel'...just thinking out loud here.

Six feet...no wonder mine was so hard to hit. Its a great hobby for kids, mine is just two but he loves these trucks.

I've never had problems starting the truck when its hot. I have always wondered if primed lines would heat the fuel too much between runs and throw off the tuning and have rerouted the lines to avoid this potential problem. It was a problem with my TRX 2.5R.

I tried to upload the speed and gearing calculator but the file format isn't supported.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:29 AM
bigggalll

Thanks NitroNate for the tips. So, when you run out of gas you don't just refill it and restart it right away. You let the engine cold down for how?

Like 241 Racing said, it seems to get better and bettre because I go out last night and it runs very well. Actually the sound seems to be higher and it is very prime. I do a lot of whellies

Could you confirm that: if I get always got a good amount of smoke, I will not burn my engine.

Thanks again
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM
fasty

I went to autozone today for spark plugs and seen a temp gun there for 15.99. the rang temps are 27-428 f and 33-220 c.
So I got it @ that price.cheap and it works great too.the name brand is actron .
It has a back light on it to for that night driveing.jest wonted to let you all know that there is a cheap temp gun out there.
O it is called a pockettherm made by actron
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
NitroNate

bigggalll,I let it cool down to about 120-150F.If you want as much engine compression as you can possibly get,set the piston at BDC each time you shut the engine off,or it runs out of fuel.(bottom dead center-When the piston is as far to the bottom as it can go.).Pull slowly on the pull start untill you hear it "pop" into BDC.You'll notice no strength is required to pull the starter when in BDC.
Or,if you can't quite get the nack of feeling it,take out the glowplug and stick a Q-tip down the glowplug hole on-top of the piston.Pull the starter slowly until it reaches BDC.Then put a mark on your flywheel so you will know where BDC is next time.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 AM
NitroNate

I was bored....Now I'm glad I was!

Before painting upper deck:

After painting upper deck:
Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 AM
241 racing

I let it cool for bout 10 minutes at bdc,refuel prime and off I go.If your getting good smoke and performance is still good you will be fine.If you see no smoke that's when you will burn up your motor,it don't take much to change your tune so be carfull not to overdue it.You will be able to tell by the sound and performance once you get the hang of it.Nitro engines are easy to tune once you get the feel for what it's doing.Good luck and have fun.

Looks good Nate.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
machine-it

did any of you guys get a dvd in the box with your storm, i did but i only just got round to watching 4months after buying.

Its actually very good because theres a chapter on tuning it and they have filmed all the different settings so you know exactly what it sounds and looks like when its running properly and when its not.

they show you how to adjust high and low needles etc

i notice alot of people askin whats wrong with there storm and as good as you guys are at helping out theres nothing like seeing it for real to help understand.

so dont over look that dvd in the box
Old 09-23-2008, 05:46 PM
fasty

i didnt get a dvd? darn it.do I hit the glow plug with the temp gun or the head?ether im way to hot or im jest under 230!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM
nitro rc

ORIGINAL: machine-it

did any of you guys get a dvd in the box with your storm,
no i didn't get one. My tmaxx came with one and it was very helpful as it was my first nitro.

Back to the restart conversation. I run mine for 2-3 tanks without shutting off the engine. Its way too much work to wait for it to cool then restart it. I run mine for about 2 or 3 tanks then let it cool all the way. Then after that, i prime it and 1 pull and BAM!!! its back running.
Is this ok to do or should i let it cool after each tank. Thats what i did with my tmaxx but then i realized that the pros racing in 1 hour mains probably refill 3 times in a race while still running so it must be ok.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:57 PM
machine-it

i really think it woudnt matter how long you run it for, its an engine like any other nothing would change on the engine running for 1 hour or 10

infact engines wear most when cold so could be worse allowing it to cool
Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 PM
nitro-rob

Nate - what engine are you running? I thought you had a G3 or is that an aftermarket head? Your truck looks sharp. I am thinking of taking some parts to my brothers sandblaster.

BDC is definitely important for engine wear - the cylinders are tapered to reduce blow-back at the top of the stroke and if the piston is up there and it cools the squeeze will cause unwanted wear.

I don't see a reason to cool the truck since it has no memory of how long it runs unless its on the hot side but that would just exaggerate the normal damage you are doing. I heard that extended running can lead to cylinder warping if the engine is a bit hot but can't back this up. I do run about three tanks before taking a break, but that more for me than the truck.

A DVD? I didn't get one either. I see the MT2 has one, I didn't think HPI had this for their products until now.

I am away from friday to sunday all day and can't drive but am taking monday off and will hopefully have a story to two to share then.
Camera fixed tomorrow....
Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 PM
NitroNate

Thanks for the comment.I'm running an OS .18 CV-RX.Heres a video : http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/h...estoy_0001.flv
Also,I painted the upper deck,not sandblasted it.(Incase you understood otherwise)

Only people Europe get the Firestorm's DVD.

Can't wait to see those videos! (If you could put them on photobucket that would be great,I can't get youtube because its blocked for the younger kids.(I'm not one of them BTW.LOL ))
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 PM
nitro-rob

Nate,
I figured it was paint, was just commenting on some changes I am going to make to change the look a little. What paint did you use and did you apply it with an airbrush? What prep did you do before painting?

How does the OS rip compared to the G3? I know the OS are the cream of the crop and are the ultimate powerhouses per CC. Is it a black and white difference? I assume thats you in blue in the video? I need to find a place with jumps to ride around in.

I usually deal with fairly flat areas or parking lots right now but am seeking a few cool spots out. My taller tires are helping me in the lawn but I can't slide very easily in it....can anyone slide and spin on grass? I guess the lack of give is responsible for this. I can wheelie very easily on grass, though, at pretty much any speed.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 AM
241 racing

The os 18 cvr is a solid motor but it's nothing like the Tz forsure.I have the cvr in my Rc10 gt and was thinking about putting it in my storm,but haven't gotten around to it yet.I don't think you really have to let them cool as long as it's past the break in period.The only reason I do this is I have different ones I drive so thats what I do.I drive one when it runs out of fuel,let it sit and take off with another one.When there all out of fuel I refuel and start again.

Nitro rob do you have a skatepark around you?I have a skatepark about a block away we go to once in awhile it's fun but get's real crowded.I try to hit it in the morning during school days,seems like the best time.Bmx tracks are cool to if you could find one of those around.Here is a pic of my gt with the os 18 cvr that I'm gonna put in my storm.I know this is a storm thread so be easy on me for posting this here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72895.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1040054  
Old 09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
NitroNate

Actually,I'm not happy with that paint job.It basicly was a spur of the moment bordem buster.I mean,it looks good and all,but the paint I used scratches off fairly easy.I used paint that is used to paint lexan bodies,but hey,now I know it won't work!I'll be getting paint that bonds to metal soon.

With torque there definatly is a black and white difference,but with speed,maybe 5 mph gained.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:01 PM
mercerbeef

wow had to read through a few pages, lol

ran my storm on sunday, and sweet jeebus the fuel made a big differance. i was using o'donells 25%, but we wanted to try byrons, so i picked up a jug, they only had 33%. the truck was wheely'n and catwalking all over. i'm glad i used my old body, cuz its torn, ripped, and dented lol.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Fly426

Don't know if any of you guys have tried this thing in the sand with paddles... Its frigg'n awsome... I will be taking some pics soon and will post them... Anyone else run into issues with the spider gears when jumping... I've gone through the slipper clutch a few times in order to try and keep from breaking gears...but by the time I get the slipper loose enough to keep from breaking gears the car doesn't have the punch I like... Spool?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
nitro-rob

Here are photos of my FS with my non basher body - its never actually seen any riding time. I will submit some with the road rage tires mounted on bead locks. I used the HPI grey rims for the off road tires with plans in not reusing them.

Nothing too impressive under the hood, its pretty much stock except for a fuel filter, stiffer springs, an aluminum bumper with the stock one mounted underneath and an SF-2 servo. I bash with the stock body. Meticulously clean and maintained, though, but thats what happens when you burn half a gallon of fuel in three months.

Also included is my stable of trucks and my workbench. The savage (its an X, not an SS) is very fresh with a new engine and hasn't been broken in. There are others.....

The next thing to post are action pics.

I think it needs the firestorm rear wing, I will try to pick one up for it.

Name:	Xv65498.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	1040955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25046.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	1040956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61196.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	1040957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41771.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	1040958  
Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 PM
nitro-rob

Get it? Is this sacrilege?
I won't be following the forum much until monday morning, enjoy the weekend. I am breaking in a savage on monday.

Name:	Om34166.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	1040959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40513.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1040960  
Old 09-25-2008, 09:00 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Get it? Is this sacrilege?
I won't be following the forum much until monday morning, enjoy the weekend. I am breaking in a savage on monday.
That looks just a little bit like my RC10GT, and I'm pretty sure that RPM doesn't make any parts for the storm yet!! how well does the body fit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.