RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:25 AM
1ne8ighty2wo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

The firestorm and the firestorm 10t are the same. 10t is the official name to distinguish it from the e-firestorm.
Max speed out of the box, with a good tune, is probably 35 or 40 mph
I'm not too experienced with rc cars, but I think it makes a great beginner car. It's durable, simple (2 wheel drive), and a name brand so parts are pretty easy to come by
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Critofer1995

Cool, thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
nitro-rob

If you can turn the flywheel with minimal resistance through the compression stroke you have a leak somewhere on the top. I suggest taking the head off and checking if there is a burr or something stopping things from sealing cleanly. Double check your spark plug tightness first. It has to be a pretty obvious leak if you are getting as little resistance as you described. Perhaps try a leak test, put soapy water on the truck and turn it over a few times and see where bubbles form.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

I just tried putting it on again and it seems to seal better this time. As for turning the flywheel by hand, should this be done with the glow plug in or out?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
nitro-rob

Glow plug in. You should leak test your head just in case. I don't recommend taking off the cooling head to repair the clutch in the future.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

I put it on again and it went on better this time. I'm not exactly sure what it was, but that doesn't really matter now. thanks for your help anyways!
and yeah i didn't know the whole thing would come apart by taking off the head :/. Now i know
Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 AM
1ne8ighty2wo

I tuned it today and it's amazing :]. I thought I had power before, but it's crazy now. The clutch was causing all my problems. Unreliable starting, not staying on, high heat. All better. And that idling a minute then gunning it really helped for tuning the LSN. Hope to get some video soon with a cheap little "gum-stick" camera i bought. Maybe go down to the park or something, even though it's a bit rainy

ADDITION:
I just noticed that my rear tires are getting pretty worn down. It's pretty much only on the inside half because the wheels are tilted in (is that bad to have such uneven wear?). I want to get some new ones but I don't really know which ones to get. The main thing i'm looking for is that they be long lasting. I don't care about performance too much, as long as they aren't horrible. I'll be driving about half and half between street (rough asphalt) and offroad (short grass or dirt). I tend to run pretty hard when i drive (burnouts and powerslides). Any recomendations? I've done some looking and it seems many people recomend Dirt Hawgs or Geolanders.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:10 AM
1ne8ighty2wo

So I got some video from the onboard camera I bought. It turned out pretty good. A bit shaky and not so great quality, but I think it's good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSuXjIrqN8s[/youtube]

Also, I plan on getting some Proline Gladiator tires for my storm. Any thoughts on these?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 AM
JUBE

I use Geolander of hpi are excellent
Old 12-22-2009, 04:54 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

So the running of my storm is great. It's just the starting that's hard. It takes probably 20 pulls to get it started, but once it is it runs great. Would this be because it's too lean/rich, too cold, too much after run oil?

Also, i bought a glow starter off ebay but it doesnt work very well. It will light up the coil, but not very bright. this is right after charging for 14 hours for the first time. any way to make it stronger?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 PM
nitro-rob

The video is really cool. I am glad things are working better now. I wonder if your glow plug may need changing if you are having troubles starting the truck and it doesn't glow. Do you have somebody elses ignitor to check it? It should be a two-four pull truck. Heavy after run oil will make the truck hard to stop. Is it still hard to start when you havn't after run it when it cools for a few hours?

Geolanders are great. I love road rage for the street and dirt hawg and gladiators for off road. I would avoid pin tires because they wear too quickly and are meant for racing surfaces. I would also avoid mashers, badlands and rock crawling tires because their profile is about half an inch taller and will mess up the handling and gearing. I have tried (and have) many 2.2 inch tires
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 PM
nitro-rob

Try charging your glow ignitor and let it sit for an hour and check the voltage on the battery to see if its holding its charge?
Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 AM
1ne8ighty2wo

It's only hard to start when it's cold. It always starts eventually, but it just takes a little time. At first there's no response, then little sputters, then it fires up. Once I get it going and restart, it only takes 1-2 pulls. And I have two glow starters. The one that I got with my first car, which I thought was going bad, and this new one that I got from ebay with a meter. The new one is HSP brand.

As for the tires, I bought 2 gladiators, but I don't want to put them on until I decide what to do with the storm once my MT2 comes.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:54 AM
nitro-rob

Are you sure its primed enough when you start it? Its weird there is no response at all and then sputters, it sounds like fuel is still travelling. Do you give it a bit of gas via the throttle or trim setting to give it some help? Are both ignitors giving the same dull glow?

Is the truck smoking well and not getting too hot? Have you checked the temperature?

I personally prefer the FS over MT2 - a lot wilder ride and the MT2 design is getting dated. The four wheel drive does provide a lot more control and handling for sure but the snap is different with the power being distributed over two extra wheels (no wheelies).
Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

When priming, I blow into the back pressure until the fuel hits the carb opening. Last night I had that idea too. It seems as if it has to slowly suck some more fuel in on it's own and then it starts.
I trim the throttle up at little when I start it.
My old ignitor lights up the plug brighter than the new one, but it's not super bright. And the last coil doesn't get lit at all on either of them. It's a new GP, too.
The truck is flying and there's a trail of smoke the whole time. Last time I checked the temps, which was when I put in the new clutch about 2 weeks ago, it was getting up to like 245 tops. But I've only run it a couple times since then.

And I guess I'll have to see for myself on that one. I do like the wheelies, but when I go out to the local track the FS is hard to keep on track (for me, at least).

Which leads me to another little problem...
I was out at the track yesterday and things were running smoothly (after I got it started ). When, after I took a hard landing off a jump, the controls cut out. Luckily, the throttle closed, I think due to my failsafe. I took it in, checked the radio and everything, and as it turns out one of the batteries was knocked loose. I thought it was weird that the failsafe would have gone on if the rx battery was out, so it might have just naturally closed. A tank later, this happened again. Same problem. Then a few minutes after I landed and the thing went WOT. The wheels were cranked to the side so it spun in circles until I got over there to shut it off.
Is this a known problem with the FS? Is it that batteries getting knocked loose or is it something else, like the radio or something?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
manuel frias

yah that hapens to mine too. what you have to do is tape up the batery pack so they cant come out or just get a hump back.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 PM
firestorm490

wow i havent ben on here in a while i actually just got my car back together but now i cant hold any kind of tune my hsn isnt moving, nor is the lsn so i cant figure out what is wrong i messed with the hsn for about 1/2hr today and as soon as it warms up completly the car wont move it just boggs this shouldnt matter but its only 25 degrees outside so i tuned accordingly and id have to then richen after like 2 minutes of running and then it would get bad and i actually couldnt get the car to even move! so id shut it off and let it cool then start all over again

if anyone could help thankyou in advance

and hows the thread doing nowadays like i said i havent been on here for months?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:49 PM
nitro-rob

Good to hear from you 490, the thread got slow at the end of the summer and picked up a little lately. The winter is always slow.

You will have to richen it quite a bit to run well and at that temperature you should use a hot plug (I assume you are using the stock one or likely a cold plug of some sort). It will make a big difference.

Merry holidays to all.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 PM
JUBE

Merry Christmas to all. greetings from Argentina
Old 12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
nitro-rob

Oops, posted my last message twice for some reason.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
GT2rider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy had a e-firestorm for about 3 months (pics earlier in the thread) and its totalled beyond repair !! One good 45 mph crash completely broke the front end off (repairable for maybe $15 of parts), broke the steering servo (another $15) ripped the wires out of the brushless motor ANDthe ESC beyond repair ($160)

So $200 in damage on a $300 car.... insurance would consider it totalled !!!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM
firestorm490

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

Good to hear from you 490, the thread got slow at the end of the summer and picked up a little lately. The winter is always slow.

You will have to richen it quite a bit to run well and at that temperature you should use a hot plug (I assume you are using the stock one or likely a cold plug of some sort). It will make a big difference.

Merry holidays to all.
thanks for the help but it turned out to be a pluged fuel filter i put a straight fuel line on it and it ran fine so its all good and fyi i am using a medium hot golw plug and i run mine realy lean in cold temps to keep the engine temps up like they would be on a 70 degree day
Old 12-26-2009, 12:17 PM
firestorm490

ORIGINAL: PreyForTomorrow

So I got some video from the onboard camera I bought. It turned out pretty good. A bit shaky and not so great quality, but I think it's good.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSuXjIrqN8s[/youtube]

Also, I plan on getting some Proline Gladiator tires for my storm. Any thoughts on these?
what kind of camera is that i just got a go-pro wide and cant wait to try it out!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:50 PM
1ne8ighty2wo

ORIGINAL: firestorm490

what kind of camera is that i just got a go-pro wide and cant wait to try it out!
It's THISONEHERE FROMEBAY
Old 12-26-2009, 06:02 PM
1slowrc

hey,  i have a firestorm im tryin get rid off . (i have to many cars that i dont use)

it basically all stock still even have the box
the stock gt3.0 has about 3/4 of a gallon fuel ran threw it  motor is fresh start no problem

i had a 18tz in it didnt like the truck to much so tryin get rid of it
motor start no problem runs like a champ never over heated ran odonell 20% on car

lookin to get $200 or obo
can email me at [email protected]     not on rcu that much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.