RC Nitro Stadium Trucks Discuss all aspects of rc nitro stadium trucks here

-=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Road Warrior
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: -=OFFICIAL HPI FIRESTORM THREAD=-

Yeah the spektrum radio's are really nice. I had a range issue with my dx3s. Both of the other people I would drive with have the stock am radio's and they could go farther than I could. That didn't upset me as much as if the fail safe would work like it does when it is on the ground in front of you instead of just going where ever it wants to. I had to add 2 more batteries to it and now I can drive it till it disappears. The stock servos will also work fine with it.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Blueroost40

Hey, i got a question about tools. I know rob you talk about the integy hexes are good, how much would a 2mm, 2.5mm, and 3mm cost? and whats a good t wrench to get that can take of the flywheel nut?(ill be getting a flywheel wrench as well).
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
nitro-rob

I paid around 35 for the integy set that had five pieces. The good hexes go for 5-10 each and you can get individual ones. I use the losi T-wrench for flywheel nuts. They are about 8 dollars and are common at most hobby shops. For removing a flywheel the best thing to use is a terminal puller. I got one on ebay for 5 dollars shipped. Its used to remove automotive battery terminals (or you can just tap the old one off)

Check out teamstrc.com. There are a whole bunch of new blitz aftermarket parts available that are compatible with the firestorm. HPI released the Blitz ESE that has a bunch of goodies on it and there are a lot of nice parts there as well. A ball differential is coming for it as well!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Blueroost40

Hey rob i have a savage question, and i recall you have a couple. Is the 5.9 a major performance upgrade from the 4.6? and which would you say is the best in terms of durability, drivability, and performance?
Old 02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
nitro-rob

I have no personal experience with the 5.9 but people I know say they are a big upgrade in power. Others say its more worthwhile to get a picco or lrp .28 for the money and performance. Did you get another engine?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
HotGirl19
Banned

Hey i like the site so far!! Its soo interesting!! .

Check out a short video i made of me at:
http://bit.ly/8eswNA
Let me know what you think!!
Watch it now!!

Thanks..xox
Old 02-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Blueroost40

yea i did, i went on saturday and exchanged the t3.0 for the g3.0. I already got it in and its just waiting for a nice dry day for break-in(just have to lock-tite the engine screws and exhaust manifold screws).
Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Budcue

Hey, Ive had my firestorm 10t for about a month now and about a two weeks ago I toasted the stock clutch (snapped the junk spring). I did some reading on the back pages of this forum and dicovered that you can use the three shoe hpi savage clutch. I went ahead and ordered it and installed it no problem, but now when I try to run it I do have problems. With the slipper clutch in proper adjustment, the car will always stall at a complete stop, other then that it runs great. My best guess is maybe my gear mesh on the bell and slipper clutch might be off but it seems right or maybe the clutch needs to be broken in. Not too sure. Any help on this would be awesome.....thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Blueroost40

I dont know the answer to your question but i have a question myself. What size flywheel did you get, i heard discussions about 33mm and 34mm but the 34 hits a wire bracket or something.Also could you tell me the part #'s? thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Budcue

I got part #87153. It has the 34mm flywheel. Its the kit that comes withe the flywheel, shoes, and springs
Old 02-16-2010, 11:11 AM
nitro-rob

Bud - is the clutch bell turing freely with the wheels off the ground and engine off? Check if the flywheel is rubbing somewhere. I ran a 34 mm flywheel with the G3 and it fit a big tighter but think I just had to cut off a guide for the wire on the transmission casing.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Budcue

hey rob, the 34mm fits and does not rub.....it is quite a snug fit but there is room. Im assuming you mean if i turn the wheels while the engine is off does the bell turn freely, if thats true, yes it does. Like i said it runs great when in motion, just when i come to a complete stop it shuts off immediately.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Blueroost40

I looked up the part. I have a question though. In the picture it shows the flywheel, the gold bearing(dont know what its called), the 3 shoes, and 3 springs. Are the springs an alternate way of holding the shoes on instead of 1 spring that goes around all the shoes like the stock one? How do you put on these type of springs?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:35 PM
nitro-rob

Its supposed to have three individual springs. They are a bit of a pain to install and its almost impossible to describe it in text.

If your truck is shutting off like that make sure its tuned properly. Raise the idle a bit to see if that helps. Do you have enough compression and is it flaming out when its not revving?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Blueroost40

So the 3 seperate springs are jsut an alternative they've chosen as oppose to 1 large spring?
Old 02-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Budcue

yes roost and its exactly like rob said.....way too difficult to describe, its a much better system then that crap little spring that come stock.

and rob, i fiddled with the idle tuning and did 1/8 turn increments up to a total of a 1/2 turn both clockwise and counter and it did absolutely nothing to help, so i brought it back to flush. And no it runs under idle with the wheels off the ground just fine, its as soon as the wheels come to a complete stop it stalls. I can basically place it down with light throttle and it run it. The compression seems fine, havent tested it but like i said car runs great until it comes to a full stop, there isnt even any hesitation, it immediately dies.

i called hpi and the tech said to try adjusting the low speed needle, i have yet to try that because im working on figuring out a way to adjust it with the motor mounted on the car.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
nitro-rob

It sounds like the clutch is not disengaging. Are the shoes catching the bell anywhere? Are you sure you have the springs on properly?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 AM
Budcue

That could be the case because it was one hell of a squeeze trying to fit that bell over the three shoes. Im positive the shoes and springs are both in properly.....ill switch back to the stock system to see if it fixes it but i ordered one online two weeks ago and am currently in a paypal dispute since the seller went MIA and closed his account and the product has yet to arrive. I will order one today and give it a shot.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM
nitro-rob

There should definitely not be a squeeze required to get the bell on. It should go on uninhibited and spin freely before putting the spur gear on. Are the shoes tight against the shaft or lifted off? I dont' think its necessary to go with the stock setup again, if you have a savage 3-shoe setup its just a matter of setting it up.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Budcue

From memory, the shoes are lifted off the shaft slightly because the bottom part of the springs are pushing off the nut that holds the flywheel onto the shaft.  I'm at work right now and will be able to take a good look until i get home in roughly 3-4 hours.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
nitro-rob

The bottom part of the spring should be pulling the spring down and be placed on the opposite side of the flywheel nut than the shoe is on.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
estuardon

I finally got my firestorm and I took it out to break in the engine. I  bought a fuel filter with a primer pump built in (manual) to make the priming easier,  I pumped it so much that the fuel started comming out the air filter!  the grey foam got soaked.  Needless to say it wouldn't start because i flooded the engine- the pull handle got tight, I removed the glow plug and put a rag over the engine to remove some fuel as per the HPI small block video and then pulled the cord to get the fuel out. after doing this and drying the engine it will not start. ( i checked the glow plug and it lights up good)  Do you guys think that it's not starting because there is still fuel still left in the air filter tube? any recomendations? should i remove the air filter and wash it or get another one.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
nitro-rob

Dry out the air filter for sure. I recommend cleaning things out - remove the glow plug, air filter and the fuel line off the tank. Put your finger on the hole of the carburetor where the filter goes on to seal it and blow into the fuel line. This should push any fuel in the line and carburetor into the engine. Then remove fuel in the engine like you did above - with a rag and while pulling on the cord. You likely just need to squeeze the filter out, let it dry and re-oil it.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:30 PM
nitro-rob

RPM arms!

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...s.htm#BlitzArm
Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 PM
estuardon

Thanks for the help guy- especially you Nitro-Rob I did what you said and it worked.

New questions- The hose that is pictured here and leads to the tuned pipe, is it supposed to filled with nitro or excess air from the tank? How far down the tuned pipe do you put the hose? it does not seem to snap to any thing.

question #2 This piece pictured on the rear assembly has fallen off during my engine breakin, what is it called? i can't find it on the the manual.
how hard is it to put it back should I disassemble the entire right rear assembly to put it back in?

Thanks for the help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.